The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry

+2
JMP
Umix10
6 posters

Go down

What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry Empty What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry

Post by Umix10 Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 am

I've watched every single game this season of the GSW! I like the way they emphasize the team game. They play for each other. This season more then anything I watched steph curry intently. I saw something that makes him the best player this far this season:

Confidence in himself - he knows what he can do, he works on his craft, he sticks to his routine, repetition equals confidence equals swag. It shows up in games

Confidence from his coach - Kerr and Walton give him that green light by watching his practice regimen and his preparation they are confident that he makes the right decisions. No one in this league can shoot from 28 ft time and again and not get pulled.

Confidence from his teammates - unlike the Dolphins, who constantly take to the media, GSW never says to much about each other except differ to the next guy. I find it odd that a young QB IS CONSTANTLY being defended by his team owner, his coaches, and teammates in the media but the guy never seems to get it together.

My point being, If tannehill had the the 3 C's mentioned above would he be where he is now? IMHO 1 or 2 is missing!!!!!! Anyone have any thoughts

Sorry JMP if this is the wrong place to put this thread!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry Empty Re: What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry

Post by JMP Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Great thoughts, Umix, and this is the right place for it.

I think it's an internal thing - some people are leaders and have that "it" factor, and some don't.  The great athletes have that mentality of "if I get the ball at the end of the game, I will win", and that attitude transfers to their teammates.  I don't see that in Tannehill, at all.

Part of it is, IMHO Tannehill is a guy who plays football...but he's not a football player.  Know what I mean?  It's hard to get in someone's head and know how they really feel, but from day one Tannehill has looked like he's just along for the ride.  I just don't see the grit and determination that I saw from Dan Marino.  Not talking about talent here...just that inner drive and "want" that, again, all the greats have.

And teammates notice these things even more than a fan sitting on his couch.  I truly believe that the Dolphin players do not see Tannehill as a leader of the team, and I guarantee a big part of the locker room is not sold on him.

I also think Tannehill has been mishandled from day one...he's been babied by the coaching staff, he's never been given real competition and he's never been allowed to really run the offense.  If Adam Gase is the genius his friends seem to think he is, maybe he can get more out of Tannehill.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, though.  I think Tannehill is a compiler...puts up decent numbers, but shits the bed in important spots.

I don't know...the dude just doesn't inspire confidence.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry Empty Re: What Miami can learn from the GSW? Especially Steph Curry

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Umix, you forgot the most important C of all--clutchness. Just sayin' Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm

JMP wrote:I also think Tannehill has been mishandled from day one...he's been babied by the coaching staff, he's never been given real competition and he's never been allowed to really run the offense.

Greg Jennings agrees with you...

Miami Dolphins veteran receiver Greg Jennings, who spent a number of years with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, said on CBS Sports Network's That Other Pregame Show (TOPS) that it is difficult to know how good of an NFL quarterback Ryan Tannehill can be because Dolphins coaches have kept such a tight rein on him, at one point comparing it to a 6-year-old who hasn't had his baby bottle taken away yet.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-video-greg-jennings-ryan-tannehill-20160204-htmlstory.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:57 pm

I have been one voice who has been extremely critical of Tannehill this season, asking the serious question "Is he a coach killer."

With some of the details coming out about Philbin, and the realization that the Lazor offense was always a sham to begin with, I'm tempted to "open the book" back up on Tannehill.

I will make this statement at least: I am interested to see how he performs in 2016. Gase is going to have to make up his mind this year, is he the long term answer or not. If he is at all prepared for this job he must know that the key fact is, QBs and head coaches are tied at the hip. Very rarely does one fail and the other survive.

As of right now, it sounds to me like the front office and Gase are on the same page - they believe he can be their guy. I'm not convinced, but what choice do I have except watch it play out on the field? Hell I don't run this team...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Interesting...and Jennings is a Philbin supporter, too.

The bottom line is, and I think Jennings implied this too, we really won't know what type of QB Tannehill is until he's given more control of the offense.  I suspect he is what he is, but we don't know for sure.

Two things to consider:

1. It's clear that whatever the coaches saw from Tannehill in practice, they didn't trust him enough to give him more responsibility in the offense. Philbin and Lazor are total ass-hats, but it seems obvious that they didn't think Tannehill could handle more power/control.

2. What does it say about Tannehill's character (and confidence in himself) that he seemed perfectly OK being a passenger on the offense instead of the driver?  We can't know what happened behind closed doors, but it sure seemed like he accepted his role as a JAG (just another guy) instead of stepping up and being a leader.

A third point: this is further evidence of the disconnect between coaches and froint office.  If the coaching staff doesn't trust the QB, why the hell is the front office giving him a $100 million contract???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Just to add to my previous post, yes I would like to see us draft a legitimate prospect, and/or add a veteran not named Matt Moore.

It's pretty clear to me the team is not convinced, only leaning towards, the thought that he can be our long term answer. If there is any question, you must make continued investment in the most important position on the field. Otherwise you find yourself in the position of trading too much for a return like Jay Feeley.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

JMP wrote:
1. It's clear that whatever the coaches saw from Tannehill in practice, they didn't trust him enough to give him more responsibility in the offense. Philbin and Lazor are total ass-hats, but it seems obvious that they didn't think Tannehill could handle more power/control.

2. What does it say about Tannehill's character (and confidence in himself) that he seemed perfectly OK being a passenger on the offense instead of the driver? We can't know what happened behind closed doors, but it sure seemed like he accepted his role as a JAG (just another guy) instead of stepping up and being a leader.

Agree with the point on Lazor/Philbin belief, and the front office signing him to that deal given their thoughts.

One piece about your second point, do not recall where I read it, but Tannehill and Lazor had such words before the Lazor firing that another player had to step between them. Implying they were all but coming to blows in a heated argument. This doesn't sound to me like he was all that okay, or accepting of, his control and role in the offense.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:09 pm

white1 wrote:With some of the details coming out about Philbin, and the realization that the Lazor offense was always a sham to begin with, I'm tempted to "open the book" back up on Tannehill.

It's a tough call.  We now know that Philbin didn't believe in Tannehill, and judging by Lazor's playcalling it sure seems that he shared Philbin's opinion.  So how much of the problem was the coaches' fault, and how much was Tannehill's?  We don't know, but I think we'll find out pretty soon when the season starts.

white1 wrote:
As of right now, it sounds to me like the front office and Gase are on the same page - they believe he can be their guy. I'm not convinced, but what choice do I have except watch it play out on the field? Hell I don't run this team...

And that's what scares me.  The Dolphins went out of their way to hire a coach that was all in on Tannehill.  Instead, they should have hired a guy that needed more proof.  I really don't know where this blind allegiance to Tannehill comes from, because it sure isn't justified on gamedays.  These guys are all tying their careers to a QB that has a losing record and has shown no ability to produce in important games.  This franchise cannot afford to blindly assume Tannehill is the long-term solution, but that's exactly what they're doing.  Tannehill could turn out to be "the man", but he hasn't shown that ability to this point, after 4 years as a starter, and the Phins will continue to be cellar dwellers for years if they get this one wrong.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 pm

white1 wrote:One piece about your second point, do not recall where I read it, but Tannehill and Lazor had such words before the Lazor firing that another player had to step between them. Implying they were all but coming to blows in a heated argument.  This doesn't sound to me like he was all that okay, or accepting of, his control and role in the offense.

That sounds vaguely familiar...but I wonder what the argument was actually about?  Tannehill needs to show some of that fire during games.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:06 am

Rookie head coaches make rookie mistakes. The last thing Miami needed was a coach making rookie mistakes for a QB already prone to mistakes. I think Tannehill could be a good player if he was on a good team. He isn't on a good team and he isn't good enough to make the team better. I expect more of the same Dolphins until we jettison everyone within the front office and start from scratch!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:08 am

Gase is Tannenbum's bitch. He is a yes man brought in to shine a turd into a diamond. The only thing that happens when you rub a turd is you get stained. This whole thing has Dolphins disaster all over it!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:00 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I think Tannehill could be a good player if he was on a good team.

He'd be a younger Alex Smith. No more, no less.

CarsonChris wrote:Gase is Tannenbum's bitch. He is a yes man brought in to shine a turd into a diamond. The only thing that happens when you rub a turd is you get stained. This whole thing has Dolphins disaster all over it!

Now THERE'S an image I really needed to have in my mind pale Razz Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:21 pm

I agree, 316 - I think Tannehill's ceiling is Alex Smith. Smith is the better QB right now, but if the stars align properly and every offensive player on the Phins plays at a Pro Bowl level, I think Tannehill can get to that level.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 am

JMP wrote:I really don't know where this blind allegiance to Tannehill comes from,

especially considering that Tannehill wasn't a Tannenbaum acquisition. you would think he otherwise would have no reason to feel tied to Tannehill.

CarsonChris wrote:Gase is Tannenbum's bitch.

and they are both Ross' bitches. i think its Ross that has the hard-on for Tannehill and both Gase and Tannenbaum are just telling him what he wants to hear about Tannehill so they can get paid.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:39 am

JMP wrote:I agree, 316 - I think Tannehill's ceiling is Alex Smith.  Smith is the better QB right now, but if the stars align properly and every offensive player on the Phins plays at a Pro Bowl level, I think Tannehill can get to that level.  

After the QB dumpster fire I just witnessed, Alex Smith type play seems like the new elite Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down