The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday

+3
DolFan 316
JMP
Degarmo
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Empty Happy Super Bowl Sunday

Post by Degarmo Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:39 am

Finally, this shitbomb of a season is about to limp mercifully into the grave.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Empty Re: Happy Super Bowl Sunday

Post by JMP Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Always a bittersweet day for me, because it reminds me of just how long it's been since the Dolphins were in a Super Bowl...and how long it'll be till they get there again (if ever).

As for the game, I hope it's a good one...but I have a feeling the Panthers are going to jump out to an early lead and the game will be all but over by halftime. What's the over-under on how many pick-6s Manning throws today?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Degarmo wrote:Finally, this shitbomb of a season is about to limp mercifully into the grave.

You finally posting again might be the best part of this whole day Very Happy Seriously.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:24 pm

JMP wrote:As for the game, I hope it's a good one...but I have a feeling the Panthers are going to jump out to an early lead and the game will be all but over by halftime.  What's the over-under on how many pick-6s Manning throws today?

I have a feeling he'll be throwing one on his first pass.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:10 pm

THIS is the team that seriously threatened the '72 Fins?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The Dabber playing like hot garbage right now, and Denver scores a TD without Peyton having to do a thing.

My only hope right now is that a Peyton team has blown a 10-0 lead in a SB before...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:06 pm

So THIS is what watching Super Bowls in the '70s was like...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 pm

Well that's it, tired of seeing Cam play like he was paid to lose. Can't watch this shitshow any longer. Peyton's going to win while doing the absolute bare minimum, all because he cheated since in modern sports cheaters always come out on top. Meh. Next Lance Armstrong in the making.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:24 pm

If Wanny and Sparano were watching this they'd have creamed their pants guaranteed. It disgusts me as an ex-football fan to see a team actually win a title in the second decade of the 21st century by repeatedly going three and out, kicking a bunch of FGs and hoping the opponent fumbles it away over and over. This makes my personal list of worst ten SBs ever. Just soul-suckingly bad.

But don't you dare criticize Cam for one of the worst ever SB performances by a QB, he'll call you a racist Rolling Eyes

The ONLY positive thing to come out of this turkey is that dabbing is now deader than disco.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 pm

BTW Denver's 11 first downs is the fewest by a SB winning team and third fewest by any team. Also, they're the only SB winning team to gain under 200 yards. Meh.

This one reminded me of that wretched Ravens-Giants SB almost to a tee. Not sure if it'll pass it on the all-time worst list but it'll be close.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:19 pm

And so passes the 2015 season, ending much as it went, boring, uneventful, and vomit inducing.

Nice game by Von Miller though.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Degarmo wrote:And so passes the 2015 season, ending much as it went, boring, uneventful, and vomit inducing.

Which season was worse, this one or the previous one? IMO it's a close call. Both have to be the worst NFL seasons at least since WWII.

I suffered through this SB but that's it, I absolutely cannot tolerate watching another and I will be devoting the rest of this year towards figuring out other things to do on SB Sunday for the rest of my life.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:49 am

DISGUSTING!!! EXCRUCIATING!!! NAUSEATING!!!

No, I'm still not over it. Four hours of my life I'll never get back Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 am

Damn, did I get that one wrong!  LOL

What a shitty game...worst SB I can remember.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:34 am

JMP wrote:Damn, did I get that one wrong!  LOL

What a shitty game...worst SB I can remember.

Even *I* wouldn't call it the worst. You've clearly forgotten about the long string of absolute duds in the 80s.

But in a way, a blowout would've been preferable to that hot garbage last night, because at least in a blowout there's no question who the superior team is, not to mention it usually involves lots of big plays. This was just a case of one team winning because they sucked less than the other.

But yeah, when the biggest play is a punt return that only happened because somehow everyone on the coverage unit was fooled into thinking a fair catch had been signaled, and the winning QB does more to keep the opponent in the game than their own QB, it's a definite stinkbomb. The Broncos coming THIS close to being the first team to ever win a SB without scoring an offensive TD says it all, really.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:And so passes the 2015 season, ending much as it went, boring, uneventful, and vomit inducing.

Which season was worse, this one or the previous one? IMO it's a close call. Both have to be the worst NFL seasons at least since WWII.

I suffered through this SB but that's it, I absolutely cannot tolerate watching another and I will be devoting the rest of this year towards figuring out other things to do on SB Sunday for the rest of my life.

The NFL has some serious issues right now.  The product is crap.  The rules take a lot of the "play" out of the game.  I think these changes are due to terrible QB play.  Without the ultra-loose passing rules, 2/3rds of these guys at QB would be hawking insurance, Tannehill included.  Yeah, that's Degarmo (usual defender of 17) who just said that.

The NFL also has an image problem.  I believe the NFL's image right now mirrors the NBA's back in the early 90's.  Certainly, the NFL has still moved up in profitability, but that will shift.  The violence, flash, and panache will only keep people for so long.  Remember, the kind of people that love the "shiny" will turn their heads and find something else "shiny".  Call it bandwagon sports fans, if you will.  The integrity of the game has changed focus, and Goodell has allowed, maybe even willed it to happen.  

Much like anything in this broken country, the hold of the memory of the ideal still remains with the "regular" folks.  We remember the game for what it was, just like we remember a time when a scandal like Watergate was considered a huge deal, wherein as today it would be laughable and probably barely covered, or covered up.

Before I go too far into politics and social ideology, let me dial it back to football.  The current rule set makes the game largely un-enjoyable.  So many games are decided on penalties.  Sure, maybe not the last play, but how many times does some ticky-tack call (mostly in the defensive secondary) extend a drive which ends up having a huge impact on the game?  Most of them, that I've watched.  Play reviews, they get it dead fucking wrong about a third of the time.  Why?  Because the translation of the rules changes from crew to crew and from person to person.  If you had to define what a catch was in an NFL game, and your life depended on it, I bet you'd be terrified you'd be wrong, because you're not certain.  How often have you watched games JUST THIS SEASON where they roll out an amazingly-revered retired official, and the in-game officiating crew disagrees with what their analysis is?  I'd say it's about, again, a third the time.  

That's FAR too much uncertainty.  

Rules are supposed to be black and white, exacting, stringent, defined, concrete, if you will, but not open to interpretation from crew to crew like some kind of fucking debate club jamboree.  Sure, there will be times where the officials will have to have some back and forth, and that's to be expected, but nearly every call now results in a goddamned huddle.  I find myself, and I'm sure you all do this too, saying, out loud, "You threw the flag, tell him why.  What's the protracted conversation about?"  Sure, they have to be sure, but it's not like a conversation of officials years ago.  On a holding call, the guy who threw the flag would get together with the referee and they'd make the call.  Nowadays, every call needs a consult by four guys who all, for whatever reason, are obfuscating what the original guy saw.  

I don't know if I'm coming across clearly, but to consolidate it, the rules suck right now.

Here's my real "take".  316, make of this what you will, but I think you may enjoy it.  You too, JMP Wink

Awhile back they changed the timing rules of the game, because the games were getting a little too close to the length of college games and it was getting difficult to be able to accurately sell time slots for advertisement.  That inaccuracy was causing a lot of kvetching from the ad agencies and advertisers themselves because they had to spend more and more money (due to length of games) to get a commercial in front of the rapidly-growing NFL fans watching their televisions at home.  So, to cinch this all up so they could have more continuity, they changed the timing rules.  The clock no longer stopped until snap on an out-of-bounds play unless it was the last two minutes of the first half or the last five of the second half.  This did wonders for the commercial world and for the NFL head office in terms of overall dollars.  

Why?

The initial response would be, but hey, since they removed time they'd be getting less dollars because the game wouldn't run as long and they'd have less commercials, and that does make rational sense.  However, because they shortened the game, AND made the timing much more predictable they closed their window of possible commercial time, which gave them a chance to raise the prices for the now more scarce advertising slots; and, because the NFL was becoming such a blazing commodity the advertisers were flailing to get these spots, particularly the larger corporations.  I'd bet just the time crunch rules change doubled the NFL's revenue alone.

Now, that's all well and good, but how did it affect the game?

The game lost, roughly and comparatively to today's game, 20-30 plays per game IF they were running the same offenses they do now.  In reality, the number of plays lost may be far less due to the fact that the running game used to be more prevalent.  

That said, because of the game timing rules the game changed.  

Paul Brown's offensive assistant, Bill Walsh, is essentially credited with modern football's current offensive state, and that is an incredible pile of shit.  Bill Walsh's offense, the "West Coast" offense, which was born in the west coast city of Cincinnati, was NOT the current NFL scheme.  His offense was brilliant, but relied on a very, VERY smart QB to run it.  Much like the only guy who could effectively run the Run and Shoot in the NFL was Warren Moon, Bill Walsh's scheme may have never caught on if it weren't for Joe Montana, one of the smartest, most-composed, and most-clutch QBs in pro football history.  If Walsh had been saddled with Jeff George, there would be no West Coast offense, but I digress.

The point of the above was to illustrate that most people that follow football think the current state of the offensive game in football is because of Bill Walsh; but it isn't.  It's from rule changes.  The loose defensive holding calls, the skinny pass interference calls, and even the big-hit calls are all to keep the offensive unit on the field, and mainly due to shit QB play.  The secondary effect of changing the timing rules has been that they have had to change the rules to make it easier to pass more.

Why?

Because, primarily, passing is more fun, so we'll get more long passes, big plays, hooray!!!  Yes, that's the original theory, but much like trickle-down economics, in practice it's not effective and actually has a complete detrimental effect.  Because of the five-yard no-contact rule, the skinny post/quick slant is practically un-defendable.  It's a big reason Tom Brady still looks like he's king of the hill.  

To fast forward here, in an already really lengthy post, the rule changes themselves have ruined football, at least in my opinion.

We have seen the game go from great under Paul Taguliabue to pretty much crap under Goodell.  The changes in the rules have been put in to massage shitty QBs, create more scoring (which it hasn't), and "open up the passing game".  All these things had been accomplished already, before the changes.  Taking time off the game took out plays, which shifted the scores lower, which shifted the paradigm, which forced a shift in rule changes, which brought new rules (accompanied by terrible QB play) , which brought us crap football.

The NFL was making billions already (non-profit).  Sometimes you can just make money and not have to make MORE than you've got.  Sometimes, you can just go ahead and enjoy success.  You don't always have to keep making more.  That's a psychological sickness.

Again, off on a tangent there.

To try and sum up, read above.

The current state of the NFL is designed to be as it is.  Idiots eat it up and will tell you the games are great.   I may just be old and cynical and have a different view of the NFL.

I'm just presenting what I see.

You decide.

Last edited by Degarmo on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:24 am; edited 3 times in total

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 am

So maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t think this Super Bowl was all that bad. As a matter of fact, I kind of enjoyed it. Yes, it was a defensive struggle – but hey, defense is part of football too. Yes, the QBs didn’t look that great, but it wasn’t because they both mysteriously forgot how to play football – it’s because the dominating pass rush (on both sides) forced them to look that way. These two defenses did that to everyone they faced in the playoffs (even Brady, Wilson and Palmer) and now they did it to each other. Von Miller was amazing and truly worthy of MVP. Although I did have to wonder at one point if Carolina’s RT Mike Remmers had been secretly replace by Jason Foxx. But no, Miller is just that good.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:52 am

I thought it was sloppy and boring.  I actually love defensive battles, but to me this wasn't really a defensive battle...it was two teams that had piss-poor offenses that could barely get a first down: one team had no receivers, the other had a QB that threw wounded ducks all night.  The defenses did play very good, but the game featured more punts and penalties than exciting plays.  I'm glad the game was close till the end, but I thought it was a snooze-fest overall.

But yeah, Von Miller is a special player...dominant.

Can't wait to read Degarmo's epic post above...don't have time right now!  LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:58 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

2014 was worse by far; we had a lesser of two evils Super Bowl. I would not have minded either team winning yesterday. Also, in 2014 we went into the off-season knowing that Failbin would be coming back. It was the same feeling I got after 2003 and 2010--a known and proven failure would be coming back and the next season was over before the Super Bowl of the prior one. Sad

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:03 pm

JMP wrote:I thought it was sloppy and boring.  I actually love defensive battles, but to me this wasn't really a defensive battle...it was two teams that had piss-poor offenses that could barely get a first down: one team had no receivers, the other had a QB that threw wounded ducks all night.  The defenses did play very good, but the game featured more punts and penalties than exciting plays.  I'm glad the game was close till the end, but I thought it was a snooze-fest overall.

But yeah, Von Miller is a special player...dominant.

Can't wait to read Degarmo's epic post above...don't have time right now!  LOL

Stayed interesting despite the lack of offense until Newton's brain fart on the loose ball that gave Denver the two score lead late.

Carolina made the key mistakes. The FG hitting the upright was huge later. Weird that Manning's worst season by far resulted in a SB win. Makes you wonder if Marino might have had a shot in 2000 with a RB having a career year and a defense that really started clicking in a big way.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:57 am

I just want Degarmo to know I read his novel...um, post and now I'm just trying to think of a response worthy of it.

Seriously, that was mind-blowing Shocked cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:14 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I just want Degarmo to know I read his novel...um, post and now I'm just trying to think of a response worthy of it.

Seriously, that was mind-blowing Shocked cheers

My apologies for the lack of brevity, but I had some shit that had to be said. Smile

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 am

Epic post Degarmo.

Well said. If I may make an attempt to summarize, Goodell is an idiot and had a huge hand in bastardizing the rules to the point the game is turning to crap. Referees should not have such a big impact on the outcome of games, and they are doing just that.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:35 am

Wow, Degarmo.  That was awesome.

I definitely agree that penalties have become far too important in today's game.  It might not be as big a deal if the refs called penalties consistently, but they don't - especially pass interference.  There were at least three plays in the Super Bowl that should have been called PI on Denver, and of course they weren't.  All three plays would have resulted in pretty big gains for the Panthers and may have changed the outcome of the game.  In general I'm fine with penalties NOT being called, but again, when I see the same types of plays get penalized in one game but not another, it kinda sucks.  I just want consistency so I know what to expect.

I would also add something to your watered-down NFL theory, and that's how much college football has changed over the past 10 years or so.  College football used to be more or less the equivalent of the NFL's minor leagues, but over the years it has morphed into a completely different sport.  Many college offenses today bare little resemblence to what you see in the NFL, and of course college defenses have had to adapt in turn.  As a result, it's now very very difficult for NFL teams to find high-quality players at key positions, most notably QB, TE, OL, LB, S and DE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 pm

And we can all decry the ever crumbling lack of quality football, but you know what – it will fall upon deaf ears. Money speaks in the new NFL and the league is not only making more money now than ever, but the rate of growth of that money is rising at an ever increasing speed. The NFL is reaping the benefit of an entire generation raised on Madden video game football and the team owners are only too happy to satisfy their appetite for X-button spin long bomb pass highlights. The three major developments over the last couple decades that is increasing the flowing river of cash into owner’s pockets are the same developments that are changing (killing, in the eyes of us traditionalists) the game. Video game junkies want a fast paced football full of quick strike marches down the field. High definition TVs and network cameras all over the stadium have made us all well aware of just how inaccurate the game really is. Refs have always made horrible calls and it was even worse in the past – only none of us could see it on those grainy standard definition screens with only 2 angles of the field. And finally, fantasy football. The current generation of fan is all about individual stats and following players (thank you NBA) with little regard to supporting teams. An entire Redzone channel has been developed so fickle fans need not sit through entire games, but rather have real time highlights served on a platter while darting eyes track multiple fantasy leagues as the latest stats are updated. Complain all you want, but it isn’t going away anytime soon – especially considering most of us have happily consumed those three developments and still thirst to watch as much NFL content as we can gobble.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:16 pm

So I guess You can win a Super Bowl with a Bad Qb if Your Defense is Outstanding and it dominates at the right time of the Year.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next