Unlike his predecessor, Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase making extra effort to connect with players

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unlike his predecessor, Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase making extra effort to connect with players

Post by rightchea on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:37 am

Adam Beasley wrote:Adam Gase gets it. He knows that coaching is as much about stroking egos as it is about X’s and O’s.

His predecessor, all too often, did not. Joe Philbin didn’t even like to lobby for his players to get into the Pro Bowl because he didn’t like elevating anyone above the team.

Not surprisingly, he struggled to connect with his players.

Gase, a month into his first NFL head coaching job, appears determined not to repeat that mistake.

“The only thing I can do right now is talk to them, and I just let them know what I’m about and what I’m looking for and basically I give those guys a chance to tell me what they’re about,” Gase said Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

“Anytime that I talk to a guy, it’s usually not too long. You try to call everybody on the roster, try to get a hold of everybody, introduce yourself just so they know, when we start this thing, this is what I’m expecting as far as the attitude walking in the building, and I feel like the guys have been receptive.”

Gase believes he has gotten to everyone on the roster.

And he’s made it a point to connect with his highest-paid player. Ndamukong Suh was never close with Philbin; Gase has already had multiple meetings with the sometimes-prickly star.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unlike his predecessor, Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase making extra effort to connect with players

Post by finskev on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Well at Least he has a Pulse so that put Him ahead of Philbin before he even started talking to the Player, I heard He told Suh that he was surprised that he was only at 17% Body Fat he thought it would be less and Suh said that He took it as a Good thing and a challenge to get it lower.

finskev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unlike his predecessor, Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase making extra effort to connect with players

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Phibin did try to connect to players - it just didn't work because he has zero personality and had nothing in common with them. 

Gase is younger, which may help because there's not much of an age gap - but he doesn't seem to have a very dynamic peronality either.  I think it's difficult for a nerdy white-bread coach to relate to young black players in general.  I don't mean that in a racist way, it's just people with different experieces and different backgrounds...it can be hard to find common ground.  But I guess we'll see.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:03 pm

I for one have been very impressed with every press conference I've watched with Gase. I like him. Doesn't mean he can coach, but I'm a fan.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Me too but I want to see what he does as a coach. You can talk a good talk and if he does then he needs to teach Ross some tricks

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:29 pm

I haven't been impressed with him at all - I think he looks like another dud. But all that matters is winning games.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:54 pm

How much is Belichick 'connected" to his players? Does he try to be their "friend" and stroke their egos? I think not. This is why I could never be a coach today, I'd refuse to coddle everybody and pat them on the head and say. 'That's okay, everything's fine," like they were 5 years old and just got a boo-boo.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:10 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:How much is Belichick 'connected" to his players? Does he try to be their "friend" and stroke their egos? I think not. This is why I could never be a coach today, I'd refuse to coddle everybody and pat them on the head and say. 'That's okay, everything's fine," like they were 5 years old and just got a boo-boo.

I think that players need to respect the head coach. They don't have to like him, they don't have to be friends with him - they have to respect him and buy into his way of doing things. Respect is earned, and in the NFL it is earned by winning games. That's really the bottom line: win games, and problems disappear and everyone's happy. But lose games, and you lose the team - it's that simple.

Gase doesn't seem like the type that walks in a room and commands respect so I think it will be very important for him to get out of the gate strong and win some games early. That's a tall order for a wet-behind-the-ears first-time head coach, but players will tune him out if gets in a hole early.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top