The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins pick?

+8
CarsonChris
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JEGnj
Birdmond
Degarmo
Lacesout
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Dolphins pick?  - Page 4 Empty Re: Dolphins pick?

Post by HalCHorn Sun May 03, 2015 2:41 am

Like the Parker, McCain and Ajayi picks.

Did not care for the Thompson pick (felt there were better safeties available). Already gave my opinion on the 2nd round pick; I think they should have filled the LG need (a HUGE need, otherwise we will actually have Dallas Thomas on the field) there with a guy who will likely start for a decade. They went boom or bust, and I'd love to be wrong. I fear I'm not. Douglas isn't likely to start right away; we needed to get a legit starter at LG. We still don't have one.

Lippett is a very promising player who could stick somewhere.

I'm on the fence between B- and C+. It isn't terrible, but isn't as good as it could have been.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 03, 2015 11:19 am

The problem with McCain is that he's 5'9" and from a small school. Aside from the fact that this staff has shown no ability to develop small-school players, at his size he is at best a slot corner/nickle back. We already have both Zack Bowman and Brice McCain for that role. Best-case scenario for Bobby McCain this year is that he shows enough to steal a roster spot from Will Davis on special teams. If not, we're looking at a practice squad player.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun May 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Again I am telling you, McCain is this draft's second best pick. I'd rather have an overachiever than an underachiever (coughPhillipscough) any day. McCain could be the next Grimes--who himself is a small CB who went undrafted out of Shippensburg. You'll see!!! Very Happy

I'm not even being a Memphis homer here, compared to all the other picks even from an objective standpoint McCain looks like the second best one.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am

Overall I’m somewhat satisfied with the Phins draft. I’m not exstatic with it, but its okay – in the B-minus area. I’m very pleased with Parker and have hopes he will be a significant contributor. I read the Phins need at DT completely wrong. I thought they would look for gap penetrating DT to pressure the pocket up the middle, but they seem to have selected a run-stuffing NT (a 3-4 position) in Phillips. If Phillips can occupy blockers while Suh provides the pressure, then this will be a more than sufficient pick. Douglas seems to be just another project to add to the competition at OG and not necessarily the answer that some other selections could’ve provided. I think McCain is my second favorite pick and I am hopeful that his knack for impact plays and ball skills translates to this next level. I was hoping the Phins would get a bell cow RB and make Lamar Miller the change of pace back, but its looks to me like they are satisfied with Miller as the lead and hope that Ajayi will be the short yardage back and get some 3rd down duties. Maybe a limited role will help lessen the wear and tear on his already damaged knee. Thompson should contribute on ST right away, but I am not sure if he is ready to start in the event Delmas gets hurt again (which unfortunately seems likely). Lippett, is he a CB or WR or a project at both? My biggest concern is not addressing the MLB position with significant prospect, but I think that was out of the Phins control when McKinney and Kendricks were selected in the 2nd before the Phins original pick – thus the trade down. Given that Miami only had 2 selections with the first 113 picks, I guess they could only do just so much.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2015 11:20 am

Yeah, the biggest disppointment to me is ignoring the LB position.  We need help both inside and outside at LB, and we drafted no one.  A couple of the undrafted FA LBs they signed are intriguing and may have a chance, but as much as I like players like Hull and Luc, the fact is that they went undrafted for a reason.

It seems like the staff thinks that signing Suh fixes the LB position, but I completely disagree.  Even if Suh does take up two blockers, the players behind him still need to make plays.  If Misi and Jenkins continue to take bad angles and miss plays, it doesn't matter that Suh kept them clean.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 04, 2015 11:26 am

I'm still in disbelief that Parker fell to us and we actually drafted him.

I have to admit, that move alone has me excited about this class. We all want to see these rookies contribute right away and see evidence on the field that they belong in the NFL.

Unfortunately, we will have to wait. Our LB corps does seem weak to me, with nothing really done to address it this offseason. Our LB coach has his work cut out for him.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 pm

What you guys keep forgetting is EVERYONE in the Dolphins organization seems to have a man crush on Koa Misi. Maybe he was banged up and is really as good everyone thinks. I'm not convinced BUT I think it's pretty obvious teams just don't value LB's that much anymore.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Here is a Link with a CBS Scouting Report on some of the UDFA players signed.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/02/dolphins-sign-penn-state-lb-mike-hull-and-other-undrafted-free-agents/

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Birdmond wrote:What you guys keep forgetting is EVERYONE in the Dolphins organization seems to have a man crush on Koa Misi.   Maybe he was banged up and is really as good everyone thinks.   I'm not convinced BUT I think it's pretty obvious teams just don't value LB's that much anymore.  

I'm not forgetting...I know this coaching staff loves Misi. But that won't change my belief that the Dolphins have the worst LB corps in the league. Misi is an average OLB and a below-average MLB, regardless of how much of a team player he is and how hard he works. But even if you pencil in Misi in the middle, we still have a hole at one of the LB spots. Maybe McCain is the answer, but as I've been saying, I don't see how a 6'5" 250 pound player can be an effective starting OLB in a 4-3.

As for the LB position, I'm not sure it's been devalued. I think the issue is that there aren't many good MLBs coming out of college anymore, and that's a direct result of all the spread offenses that are run.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Miami Herald wrote:And the fact Miami passed on Perryman (and never had a chance to draft Bernadrick McKinney or Eric Kendricks in round two) boosts the chances of Kelvin Sheppard or Chris McCain starting alongside Jelani Jenkins and Koa Misi at linebacker. But Miami played with only two linebackers on the field a lot last year.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/05/lots-of-reaction-analysis-on-dolphins-selection-of-jordan-phillips-dolphins-chatter.html

given the importance of passing in today's league, this almost seems to imply that Miami is satisfied with its LBers due to the significant use of a nickel back. this can't be the case, can it?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2015 4:19 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:given the importance of passing in today's league, this almost seems to imply that Miami is satisfied with its LBers due to the significant use of a nickel back. this can't be the case, can it?

Yeah, and when the defense gave up an average of over 32 points a game in the final 6 games that plan worked pretty well, didn't it??? But of course, the Dolphins would have us believe that defensive tackle was the only problem area on defense! No

Misi is not exactly good in pass coverage, either.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:I think McCain is my second favorite pick and I am hopeful that his knack for impact plays and ball skills translates to this next level.

See??? SEE?!?! It's not just me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 pm

To be fair on the LB's, this was not a stellar draft for the position. It became less stellar once Gregory's problems became public (Dallas may have a steal, or maybe not).

McCain is undersized, but he can play. If a guy can play, I'll take him. That's why I like the Ajayi pick in the 5th.

I hope Phillips makes me eat my words.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 pm

HalCHorn wrote:To be fair on the LB's, this was not a stellar draft for the position.  It became less stellar once Gregory's problems became public (Dallas may have a steal, or maybe not).

McCain is undersized, but he can play.  If a guy can play, I'll take him.  That's why I like the Ajayi pick in the 5th.

I hope Phillips makes me eat my words.

It's definitely true that the LB position was not a strength of this draft. But I think there were certainly LBs that could have helped the Phins.

As for McCain, in an age where WRs and TEs are getting bigger and bigger each year, 5'9" corners are only valuable as nickle corners covering slot receivers. That's an important position, of course, but those guys are easy to find. The Dolphins already had several on their roster. McCain's size and level of competition are definite concerns for me, and honestly I'm not expecting much.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 04, 2015 11:03 pm

I know I seem like a big-time homer but you'll see soon enough. You'll all see Very Happy

At least now I have someone else to back up my opinion. Thanks, Merc! cheers

BTW did Grimes suddenly experience a 3-4 inch growth spurt in his mid 30s I'm not aware of? scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue May 05, 2015 1:37 am

Maybe the Fins didn't get hosed as much as I thought on their trade after all...

http://www.footballperspective.com/analyzing-the-trades-from-rounds-1-3-of-the-2015-nfl-draft/#more-24880

6) Miami trades the 47th and 191st (6th) picks to Philadelphia for the 52nd, 145th (5th), and 146th (5th) picks

On my chart, the Dolphins picked up 136 cents on the dollar by trading down; according to the traditional chart, it was a perfectly even deal.

The Eagles were not willing to wait any longer for another Pac-12 player — this time, Utah defensive back Eric Rowe — while Miami drafted Oklahoma defensive tackle  Jordan Phillips five picks later.

I still say Rowe will be a better player than Phillips (maybe even significantly so) but at least the Fins from a picks value standpoint came out even or ahead. Leave it to Chip Kelly to be the one guy who *doesn't* swindle the Fins in a trade  Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

DolFan316 wrote:BTW did Grimes suddenly experience a 3-4 inch growth spurt in his mid 30s I'm not aware of?

Grimes is taller than McCain, and he's also an exception to the rule.  Almost every top boundary corner in the NFL today is between 5'11" and 6'1".  Grimes is one of the smaller (maybe the smallest) of the "top" corners - if you even consider him a top corner at this stage.   Now more than ever, the smaller guys move inside to play the slot, because they can't consistently cover receivers that have a 4-6 inch advantage in height.

As for the trade down to get Phillips, I'm not necessarily concerned with what the value chart says...I'm concerned about the players the Phins missed by trading down. Every player picked between 47 and 52 could have been a huge day one contributor this year (if not starter) for the Phins: Rowe, Perryman, Morse, Darby and Orchard. I like Phillips, as I've said all along, but the Phins could have gotten value and need - and less injury questions - if they had stayed at 47 and taken one of those other guys. I guess it comes down to how much you like the 5th rounders they selected from that trade: McCain and Ajayi. Personally, I'm not a McCain fan, and they could have gotten Ajayi at #150...so to me, the trade didn't help much.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue May 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I have to agree with JMP. Miami missed out on a lot of players that could have started day 1 especially Perryman who plays the position that is most concerning. That the thing that kills me. Philips isn't consistent enough to grab when they got him. Hickey says that he flashes talent and he means it when he says flash because Philips flash once every 5 minutes in the games that I saw

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 pm

I still say Perryman is the most overrated player in the draft. You don't take a 2 down LB before round 5.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 05, 2015 9:35 pm

I think Perryman is going to be a stud LB. UM players don't get good coaching...I think you'll see him blossom in an NFL system. San Diego is a perfect fit for him IMO. He's an outstanding tackler and he's much more athletic than he gets credit for.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4