The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The current state of the Dolphins

+4
CarsonChris
Birdmond
white1
JMP
8 posters

Go down

The current state of the Dolphins Empty The current state of the Dolphins

Post by JMP Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 am

Not feeling very good about the team at this moment.  It seems like they are throwing away 2016 to focus on 2017.  While I like the idea of being frugal in free agency and adding future draft picks, I HATE the idea of throwing away a season and stockpiling aging, injury-prone veterans.  I also think it's insane to ignore the OL, aside from adding crap veterans.  I also don't understand why you'd make an effort to free up tons of cap space and then not use it, letting key playmakers (that the Phins drafted and developed) like Miller and Matthews walk away in free agency and not bothering to pursue expensive (but high quality) offensive linemen. 

The state of this roster is as bad as I remember.  Here's what I see:

Defense:
--Very old starting DEs, with no real depth
--No run-stuffing DT, with weak depth
--An extremely weak LB corps with questionable, injury-prone starters and no depth
--Questionable starting free safety, with weak depth at both safety positions
--Complete garbage at boundary CB, both starters and depth

Offense:
--No legit developmental QB
--No legit starting RB
--No real depth at OT
--Complete garbage at OG
--No backup C
--Weak TE corps with an overrated Cameron and underachieving Sims
--At WR, the top two guys are quality....and then there's a huge drop-off.  (No, I don't like Stills.)

In short, this team is a mess.  Maybe th coaching improves, and maybe we hit an A+ draft...but I'm not holding my breath on either happening.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The current state of the Dolphins Empty Re: The current state of the Dolphins

Post by white1 Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:51 am

Agree with your assessment.

No reason to get excited about 2016, and this will hold true through the draft as anyone pinning their hopes on rookies making a huge impact is the eternal optimist of all optimists.

Best approach is a "show me" attitude, in other words, how do the fins perform over the first 8 regular season games in 2016? Not camp, not preseason, regular season. Which is exactly what I'm doing.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:51 am

Can't argue with any of this. In THEORY it should be easy to find a guard in the third or fourth round but I think Carson hit the nail on the head. Conklin is their target. They knew he'd be there at 13. He can immediately start at guard and then next season replace Albert. I believe after cutting Albert and letting Wake go next year they'll be around 60 million under the cap.

But I do love letting all our free agents walk and I love the Mario signing. Kind of meh on everything else.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:29 pm

They need all that cap space to pay Suh and Tannehill in the upcoming years.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:31 pm

A lot of people question whether Conklin can play LT...may be best suited at RT.  I HATE the idea of drafting a G/RT at 13...HATE it!  I'd take any position over OL at 13.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:34 pm

JMP wrote:A lot of people question whether Conklin can play LT...may be best suited at RT.  I HATE the idea of drafting a G/RT at 13...HATE it!  I'd take any position over OL at 13.

It doesn't tickle me either but I'm preparing myself for it.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 pm

Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:A lot of people question whether Conklin can play LT...may be best suited at RT.  I HATE the idea of drafting a G/RT at 13...HATE it!  I'd take any position over OL at 13.

It doesn't tickle me either but I'm preparing myself for it.  

Yep, that's all you can do...prepare for the worst.  Sad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 pm

When I read the brainwashing Dolphin's Facebook page say make it seem like we hit a HR on every off-season move so far. Watching the sports/media shows everyone is saying same incompetent Fin's and we could be even worse. Like usual I have ZERO faith this team will be any good. AHHHH the joys of being a long time Fin's fan.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:11 pm

JEGnj wrote:When I read the brainwashing Dolphin's Facebook page say make it seem like we hit a HR on every off-season move so far. Watching the sports/media shows everyone is saying same incompetent Fin's and we could be even worse. Like usual I have ZERO faith this team will be any good. AHHHH the joys of being a long time Fin's fan.

Jeg, you seem to be even more bummed than I am, and that is really SAYING something.

I have had a VERY BAD FEELING about this season for a while now.

I think the main thing is I have come to expect EVERY move Steve Ross makes to blow up and spew hot molten steaming balls of shame all over the franchise!

He keeps making what at FIRST look like good moves... but they do not pan out and eventually, the aforementioned steaming hot balls of shame drench the Franchise yet again!

I was not greatly excited about Tannenbaum, but now that he is in complete control, I am thinking the eruption of shame lava will be pyroclastic this time!!!

Get your shame umbreallas out! Prepare! The rain of steaming hot balls of shame could begin at any minute!!!

Aiiiieeeeeeee!

Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Keep in mind also that we have a very young rookie head coach who is also responsible for calling plays on offense AND final personnel say, as well as a rookie defensive coordinator.  Added to what looks to be a piss poor roster right now, I'm thinking this could be as bad a Dolphins team as we've ever seen...and Lord knows we've seen some bad ones!

And for the record, that's not a knock against Gase.  I don't like him at all at this point, but regardless, he's being put in a very bad situation...he's got a ton on his plate, and a garbage roster.  Not an easy spot for anyone.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:59 pm

finfanatic wrote:Jeg, you seem to be even more bummed than I am, and that is really SAYING something.

No no NO. You CANNOT mount a serious challenge to my throne by making statements like this. The Potentate Of Pessimism is ALWAYS the most bummed poster in the room. Or at least most of the time Cool

Here, let me show you how it's done.

(Ahem.) I look forward to when I can compare next season's 1-win team to the '07 team to see which one was worse.

You've come a long way FF, I can acknowledge that. But you still have far to go Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:30 pm

I just can't take starting over and rebuilding every friggin year.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:47 pm

JEGnj wrote:I just can't take starting over and rebuilding every friggin year.

But that's the problem...the Phins haven't done a real rebuild. They always think they're "close", so they load up on free agents and fail. This offseason has a different feel, but they're still just throwing crap against the wall and not actually rebuilding. Hell, one of the guys responsible for all the years of bad drafting is now the GM...that's not a rebuild, it's just like shuffling the chairs on the Titanic while it sinks. A true rebuild is exactly what's needed, and the Dolphins haven't tried that since JJ was in charge.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 pm

CarsonChris wrote:They need all that cap space to pay Suh and Tannehill in the upcoming years.

Well they have to keep Suh but at the same time Tannehill can get kicked and save some money

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:55 am

This to me seams like s lost season so I'm warming up to the idea of a meat and potatoes draft. Just get it over with.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down