View previous topic View next topic Go down

More Weightroom less Classroom

Post by finskev on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 pm

finskev

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More Weightroom less Classroom

Post by JMP on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Poor technique is just as big an issue as lack of strength, but yeah, Thomas is one of the weakest OL I've ever seen.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 am

That's so Philbin. I'm actually encouraged by this.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:16 am

Birdmond wrote:That's so Philbin.  I'm actually encouraged by this.  

I'm not encouraged...if anything, it scares me that yet another coach is sticking with Dallas Thomas.  Thomas has no business being in the NFL, and lifting weights won't change that.  Getting stronger isn't going to help his godawful footwork or lack of balance. 

I thought Thomas had compromising photos of Philbin with the family dog or something like that...maybe he has photos of Gase too?  I don't know...I just can't comprehend why Thomas is still on this roster.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:44 am

JMP wrote:
Birdmond wrote:That's so Philbin.  I'm actually encouraged by this.  

I'm not encouraged...if anything, it scares me that yet another coach is sticking with Dallas Thomas.  Thomas has no business being in the NFL, and lifting weights won't change that.  Getting stronger isn't going to help his godawful footwork or lack of balance. 

I thought Thomas had compromising photos of Philbin with the family dog or something like that...maybe he has photos of Gase too?  I don't know...I just can't comprehend why Thomas is still on this roster.

At no point has Dallas Thomas' roster spot been guaranteed. I understand you like to hate on every move but the fact that Philbin wasn't a weight room guy is undisputed good news. It explains a lot. And weight training 100% improved balance, no debate. It's a fact. Also poor conditioning equates to poor footwork in EVERY sport. Even athletes who are technically perfect will struggle when fatigued.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:22 am

Birdmond wrote:
At no point has Dallas Thomas' roster spot been guaranteed.   I understand you like to hate on every move but the fact that Philbin wasn't a weight room guy is undisputed good news.  It explains a lot.  And weight training 100% improved balance, no debate. It's a fact.  Also poor conditioning equates to poor footwork in EVERY sport.  Even athletes who are technically perfect will struggle when fatigued.  

Thomas's spot hasn't been guaranteed, but based on the offseason moves it sure seems like he is in the team's plans.  I guess we'll see...

I don't agree that getting stronger helps with balance or footwork...I see those as technique issues, not strength issues.  A lack of understanding of leverage and balance principles won't be solved by getting stronger.

I like to hate on every move????  Ha!  As I've always done, I call it like I see it: if I like a move, I'll say so, and if I don't like a move I'll say that too.  So far this offseason, I liked the Williams and Urbik signings...but unfortunately I don't like much of anything else the Phins have done - especially the trade with the Eagles.  If having my own opinion makes me a hater in your eyes, so be it.   As a fan of a team that has treaded water and failed for years and years, I'm used to it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 pm

The cautious optimist in me died last season.

I greet this kind of news with a shrug. I want to see it translate to the field on game days. Regular season, not preseason.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I agree with JMP on this....Dallas Thomas blows rotten monkey chunks!

Getting stronger is not going to stop him from being a slow-footed goober IMO!

Yeah, he occasionally got overpowered, but the main problem was he was not quick enough to get in position to counter the defender's moves IMO.

He often looks like he is SURPRISED by the snap count! He is not one split second behind the defender, he is a full second behind sometimes!!

I think a whole lot of the issue is his mindset on the field...he just zonks out every so often and looks lost.

And again, what has anyone seen from him to suspect that he is going to get THAT MUCH Better!!

More strength will not help him when he zonks out. More strength is not going to help him when the defender is already by him before he even flinches!

If Dallas Thomas is starting again, this season will be another in a long line of stinky seasons IMO.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Dallas Thomas didn't mess around--the compromising photos he has are of Ross himself. Which means he'll keep being trotted out there in a Fins uniform for probably another ten years, with the 4-5 future coaches during that span all deciding that he's really not that bad, he just needs a little work, etc. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

He just might be the worst player in Fins history when it's all said and done. And that's just not some of us being "haters", he's ranked by pretty much every metric out there as the league's worst guard.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 pm

I will say this - Omar Kelly is brutal on criticizing players. He actually gave Thomas some credit last year for improvement, and I believe he posted a few games with strong positive grades.

It is possible - POSSIBLE - he will continue to develop. The team must hedge their bets, and I believe their approach in amassing players in quantity reflects that.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:57 pm

white1 wrote:I will say this - Omar Kelly is brutal on criticizing players.  He actually gave Thomas some credit last year for improvement, and I believe he posted a few games with strong positive grades.

It is possible - POSSIBLE - he will continue to develop.  The team must hedge their bets, and I believe their approach in amassing players in quantity reflects that.

Wait, you still take Omar seriously??? Shocked Razz

When one person has an opinion of a subject, and everybody else has the opposite, it's very...what's the word I'm looking for...TELLING.

http://football-players.pointafter.com/stories/10227/least-valuable-worst-players-nfl-2015#28-Miami-Dolphins-Dallas-Thomas

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8514/dallas-thomas

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Omar Kelly identifies a player he likes, and then sticks with him forever.  He rarely jumps off a player's bandwagon.  So it's no surprise that he is supporting Thomas.

Bottom line: if Thomas did indeed improve last season, it just shows how bad he is.  Every person on the planet besides Omar and the Dolphins' blind coaches rate him as the worst (or close to the worst) lineman in the NFL, so any "improvement" was meaningless.

As for the Phins "hedging their bets", if adding aging, declining veterans is their fallback than we are in for another long season.

I HATE the way this team handles the OL.  It should be such an easy thing to fix, but we literally haven't been able to get it right for years and years, regardless of who the coaches or GM are. The continued approach of adding garbage rookies and declining vets is a bad mix, and, really not a solution at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:52 pm

And they made the person in charge of the clearly horrible scouting department for years the GM. The same person who once worked for a division rival who instantly got MUCH better right after he left. Yay.

(Facepalms.)

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top