The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State)

+4
rightchea
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State) Empty Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State)

Post by JMP Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:57 pm

Slow, has short arms, and coming off an injury.  Has played both corner and safety. Maybe they will look at him as a slot corner?  I suppose it's a decent pick at this stage of the draft, but I think he's got to be considered a longshot to make the team.

Last edited by JMP on Sun May 01, 2016 1:45 am; edited 2 times in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State) Empty Re: Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State)

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:09 pm

When Tannenbum found out Lucas was coming off an injury, he couldn't resist Laughing

Gotta love how there was this huge gaping hole in the secondary, and the Fins...took 3 WRs and just one CB and safety Rolling Eyes

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State) Empty Re: Phins draft sfaety Jordan Lucas (Penn State)

Post by CarsonChris Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Plus dealt away Jamar Taylor

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:31 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Plus dealt away Jamar Taylor

Seriously??? Shocked Which team was dumb enough to take him???

You'll have to excuse me if that one slipped past my radar, considering Tannenbum has made approximately 20 trades today. For all I know he might be trying to trade back into the 7th.

EDIT: Ah, I see. The Browns were dumb enough to take him. That makes sense.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:38 pm

They are seriously thin everywhere so for the Browns to go after Taylor I not surprised. Play him in short zone cover as a nickel and it might work out

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Yeah, Taylor to the Browns (Miami's sister team, considering many "insiders" refer to Miami currently as Cleveland South - seriously), plus they swapped 7th round picks. Taylor as a 2nd round pick. Someone get NYF to explain to me again how great Jeff Shitface was again.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:48 pm

Degarmo wrote:Someone get NYF to explain to me again how great Jeff Shitface was again.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wonder what NYF is up to these days. Dude was aiight. I wouldn't mind if he posted here.

Then again, we might be looking back at Ireland's time as the good old days after 2-3 more Tannenbum drafts.

(Starts weeping.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Hey, I liked NYF, but he and I didn't see eye to eye on the Ireland issue at all. Well, I'm not the only one, but he loved to argue that point with me.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:08 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Someone get NYF to explain to me again how great Jeff Shitface was again.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wonder what NYF is up to these days. Dude was aiight. I wouldn't mind if he posted here.

Then again, we might be looking back at Ireland's time as the good old days after 2-3 more Tannenbum drafts.

(Starts weeping.)

NYF is big time now.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:34 pm

Birdmond wrote:NYF is big time now.

For real??? Did he have a Gary Parrish-type rise from local Memphis sports columnist to national media talking head? Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 02, 2016 7:06 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Birdmond wrote:NYF is big time now.

For real??? Did he have a Gary Parrish-type rise from local Memphis sports columnist to national media talking head? Shocked

@BrianCat13 on Twitter. He doesn't do message boards anymore. Does a radio show. I think last year Deon Dyer was his co host and Troy Drayton helped out.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 am

As for Lucas, I know nothing.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 am

Birdmond wrote:@BrianCat13 on Twitter.  He doesn't do message boards anymore.  Does a radio show.  I think last year Deon Dyer was his co host and Troy Drayton helped out.

His tweets on the Fins' draft are very interesting Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Birdmond wrote:@BrianCat13 on Twitter.  He doesn't do message boards anymore.  Does a radio show.  I think last year Deon Dyer was his co host and Troy Drayton helped out.

His tweets on the Fins' draft are very interesting Smile

I like NYF and love the fact that he's all in on the Dolphins but rarely do I agree with him.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon May 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Ireland stunk. But, then again, the Phins drafting has been a medical-waste-garbage-scow-toxic dumpster fire for decades now.

The Phins "braintrust" keep effing up the draft with who they pick, where they pick them, and how they approach the draft IMHO.

There HAS TO BE something systemically wrong with the whole process for this to keep happening year after year after year....

Cleveland-South. Geeze. That REALLY hurts.

I keep a small flicker of HOPE burning that someday this whole thing will get turned around and it will be the Phins back atop the AFC East like in the old days.

But this could very well be the new NORM for Miami; pathetic drafting, bad personnel moves, hideous scouting and NO IDEA how to calculate or arrange a draft board.

Uggghhhh!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 02, 2016 4:16 pm

For those that didn't hear, when Jordan Lucas was drafted he was asked on the phone if wanted to be a press corner. He told the staff he's good with it. He is going to be in nickel package as a corner

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 1:08 am

He almost has to play inside with those short arms...he'll get eaten alive outside, between the arms and lack of speed. Seems like a wasted pick to me, but we'll see - need all the help we can get in the secondary.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 03, 2016 6:37 am

JMP wrote:He almost has to play inside with those short arms...he'll get eaten alive outside, between the arms and lack of speed. Seems like a wasted pick to me, but we'll see - need all the help we can get in the secondary.

4.45 in the 40 with a 38 inch vertical. I'm not worried about athletic ability. Still I haven't seen him play so I'll wait and see.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 7:52 am

Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:He almost has to play inside with those short arms...he'll get eaten alive outside, between the arms and lack of speed.  Seems like a wasted pick to me, but we'll see - need all the help we can get in the secondary.

4.45 in the 40 with a 38 inch vertical.  I'm not worried about athletic ability.   Still I haven't seen him play so I'll wait and see.  

Certainly doesn't play at 4.45 from what I've seen. Very stiff-hipped and lacks change of direction skills. I think he competes with McCain for the slot job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 03, 2016 11:01 am

JMP wrote:...need all the help we can get in the secondary.

You can say that again. And again.

I am starting to get REALLY worried about the defense. I mean like they stunk at #26 overall last year, but...

This has the makings for a REALLY bad defensive season IMO.

Maybe it is not as bad as I am thinking, but I do not see how they have gotten better.

And if Maxwell and/or Alonso goes out, they could be WORSE.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 11:11 am

To me, defensive coordinator is one of those coaching slots that can really impact a team. Look at the guys like Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan, wherever they go they seem to maximize talent and scheme a good defense.

I think Coyle was a steaming pile of dung. He did nothing but ride our defense into the cellar since he arrived in Miami.

Joseph has every opportunity in the world to improve on what Coyle did with this bunch. The talent level is *almost* irrelevant. In general, it's within a rounding error of last year in any case. The players are not so much better or worse as different. Mario Williams bigger and more physical than Vernon. Maxwell bigger than Grimes, not as good at mirroring a receiver but more physical. Lippett getting a starting opportunity in the minicamp is another example of the trend to go with bigger players in the secondary.

If I'm wrong, then I believe Joseph's capability as a coordinator is in question.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 11:47 am

white1 wrote:Maxwell bigger than Grimes, not as good at mirroring a receiver but more physical.

There's no way Maxwell is more physical than Grimes.  In fact, despite his size, I don't think Maxwell is physical at all from what I've seen.  Grimes was VERY physical.

white1 wrote:Lippett getting a starting opportunity in the minicamp is another example of the trend to go with bigger players in the secondary.

Lippett only got starting time because there was no one else.  He'll be a backup/STs player when the season starts.

As far as Joseph, the Phins are banking on him big-time.  They didn't give him much help in the draft.  Otherwise, Williams might be an upgrade, a healthy  Alonso might be an upgrade, but I'm not sure there's been much improvement beyond that.  Defensive depth is still atrocious.  So, we have to hope Joseph can make chicken salad out of mostly chicken shit...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Personally I could care less about defense. When a team fails to score over 20 points THIRTEEN times, that's my concern.

As far as CB, they'll be as good as Wake and Williams are. No pass rush and there isn't a secondary in the NFL that will not struggle.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down