The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dion Jordan

+4
DolFan 316
Birdmond
JMP
white1
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dion Jordan Empty Dion Jordan

Post by white1 Thu May 05, 2016 7:31 am

I read a couple items on Twitter, sounds like he has been training and is close to reinstatement, although there is no formal timeline or ETA.

Let's forget about the suspensions and disappointment for a minute and talk football.

IMO, he wasn't even a good defensive end when on the field. However, he is athletic enough to cover Gronk, and that's a rare feat. So my question is this: Would you rather see him at end or linebacker? If I were Joseph, I might craft one of my 3-4 looks to include Jordan at one of the OLB spots. Either drop him in coverage or rush him from there.

I think there are better ends on the team, and honestly I'm wondering if it's the right position for him. If his better fit would be as an OLB in a 3-4, and he can be elite at that position, wouldn't it make sense to work that into our scheme somehow? I'm not advocating a full blown switch to the 3-4, but my understanding is that those schemes are misunderstood anyways. Most defenses use elements of both, and they are not at all "hard and fast" rules if you favor one over the other.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Dion Jordan Empty Re: Dion Jordan

Post by JMP Thu May 05, 2016 7:48 am

I'd rather see him off the team. I think he sucks. Limited pass rush skills and weak against the run. Yeah, he covered Gronk for a play or two...anyone can do that from time to time. I also question his desire to play football and ability to stay clean.

I wish the Phins would just cut him and be done with it.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 05, 2016 9:01 am

He was very good on special teams. Special teams win and lose games.

Cutting him makes zero financial sense this year. I'm playing him on special teams and giving him a shot at OLB or wherever he's the most Comfortable.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 05, 2016 9:53 am

The Phins have the space to cut him, so to me that's not an issue.

My biggest issue is improving the team, and I think step one is creating a roster of players that are reliable and accountable, and who love football.  That's 0 for 3 in Jordan's case.  This locker room is already a mess, why add a loser like Jordan to the mix?

He was overrated coming out of college, and he sucked in his limited NFL snaps on defense.  Sure, he was OK on STs - but we can easily find STs players at a fraction of the cost.  Cut your losses and move on.  Let him become some other team's headache, if he even plays football again.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 am

white1 wrote:If I were Joseph, I might craft one of my 3-4 looks to include Jordan at one of the OLB spots. Either drop him in coverage or rush him from there.

I think there are better ends on the team, and honestly I'm wondering if it's the right position for him. If his better fit would be as an OLB in a 3-4, and he can be elite at that position, wouldn't it make sense to work that into our scheme somehow? I'm not advocating a full blown switch to the 3-4, but my understanding is that those schemes are misunderstood anyways. Most defenses use elements of both, and they are not at all "hard and fast" rules if you favor one over the other.

Teams certainly do use different fronts, but the idea of creating specific packages for a guy that has been a complete BUST seems counter-intuitive.  I'd rather see Joseph tailor the D to players that are actual contributors.  Jordan can't be counted on at all, even if he does somehow make it to camp.  Honestly, I don't even see a place for him on this roster.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 06, 2016 5:17 am

JMP wrote:The Phins have the space to cut him, so to me that's not an issue.

My biggest issue is improving the team, and I think step one is creating a roster of players that are reliable and accountable, and who love football.  That's 0 for 3 in Jordan's case.  This locker room is already a mess, why add a loser like Jordan to the mix?

He was overrated coming out of college, and he sucked in his limited NFL snaps on defense.  Sure, he was OK on STs - but we can easily find STs players at a fraction of the cost.  Cut your losses and move on.  Let him become some other team's headache, if he even plays football again.

I see I have taught you well Very Happy Perhaps a little *too* well, for in this instance the student has surpassed the teacher Shocked

There's literally no harm in at least giving Jordan one more shot. If he fails then hey, he was already a bust who nobody was counting on, right? But if he doesn't then maybe this team can salvage something out of him yet...

I'm not saying keep him no matter how he fares, just that I would give him one more chance. Besides, who else is there in the LB corps besides Alonso?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:The Phins have the space to cut him, so to me that's not an issue.

I see I have taught you well Very Happy Perhaps a little *too* well, for in this instance the student has surpassed the teacher Shocked

There's literally no harm in at least giving Jordan one more shot. If he fails then hey, he was already a bust who nobody was counting on, right? But if he doesn't then maybe this team can salvage something out of him yet...

I'm not saying keep him no matter how he fares, just that I would give him one more chance. Besides, who else is there in the LB corps besides Alonso?

I refuse to believe Misi is a better OLB than Jordan if motivated.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 9:06 am

I'm all for second chances, but Jordan has had THREE chances already...time to cut him loose.  If he was a great player, I might think differently - but he isn't.  I'll take Misi over Jordan any day, and I think Misi sucks.  But at least he shows up.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri May 06, 2016 10:11 am

I think that everyone has an opportunity to get their career back together and if they want Jordan to be back on the team to get a chance then let him get that chance. If he sucks then cut him....

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 10:36 am

I'd hate to see a rookie like Blount or Burgess get cut just to keep Jordan and wait for his next failed drug test. I'd much rather have a young, hungry player than a guy that doesn't give a shit and is just collecting a check.

Like I said, this team needs leaders and football players. Jordan is neither.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 am

Great point.

If he has to "earn" a spot on the roster, there should be a huge curve for him. In fact, unless he wins a starting position outright I would cut him.

And by "win", has to be so obvious that everyone can see it.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri May 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I say give him a shot.

But I suspect he will stink.

Let's remember, Ireland and Philbin BOTH thought Jordan was the best player in that draft!!!

affraid

Another tactic: Play him in the preseason against some second stringers and HOPE he looks good enough to entice some sucker to give up a mid to low round pick for him??

I doubt any team is dufus enough to take him, but who knows?

Chip Kelley is in San Fran right?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 06, 2016 11:50 pm

I'm not sure there's a place for him in this kind of a defense.  He's really a 3-4 guy, and a 4-3 takes a completely different talent set.  They were hoping he could rush from the dirt, he has one move, and that won't cut it.  He's weak against the run.  He can get there, but he can't bust up a running play.

I'd unload him if you have any inkling of being able to replace him. I don't care if it's for nothing.  Then again, I feel that way about anyone.  I'm getting more Bellichickian in my old age.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 am

Degarmo wrote:I'm not sure there's a place for him in this kind of a defense.  He's really a 3-4 guy, and a 4-3 takes a completely different talent set.  They were hoping he could rush from the dirt, he has one move, and that won't cut it.  He's weak against the run.  He can get there, but he can't bust up a running play.

I'd unload him if you have any inkling of being able to replace him.  I don't care if it's for nothing.  Then again, I feel that way about anyone.  I'm getting more Bellichickian in my old age.

Spot on. I don't care where the guy was drafted - he's not a good player, and he's already had his three strikes. He should be so far down on the depth chart, that a quality special teamer should take his spot.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 07, 2016 2:22 pm

I see Jordan being a weakside LB. Make him push the weights and also get him a little faster and he be good for that.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Jordan is playing for his second contract. He'll be clean for two years. It would be unwise to not see what he can do in camp. In fact, that's not how the NFL works. He's the best coverage LB on the team and it is not close.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 08, 2016 2:21 am

Really, you could pull a random guy off the street and he'd be Miami's best coverage LB. I don't want any part of Jordan on this team. He'll be the league's most expensive special teams player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun May 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Damn Jmp...did Jordan screw your wife? I'm not sure even *I* have ever hated a player this much Shocked

Your hatred towards Hartline seems like adoration compared to this! Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 08, 2016 8:46 pm

Yeah, I'm silly that way...I hate #3 overall BUSTS that contribute nothing and don't care about the team or the sport. Go figure. scratch

All of you guys are in for a rude awakening when Jordan makes the team and then fails another drug test, and the young players with potential whose spot he took are all playing for other teams. Just a matter of time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun May 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Um, if any of those guys allow Jordan to beat them out for a spot on this team, they likely don't belong in the NFL anyway so no big loss.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 09, 2016 9:17 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Um, if any of those guys allow Jordan to beat them out for a spot on this team, they likely don't belong in the NFL anyway so no big loss.

True, and given a fair shake, I'm not convinced that the 2016 version of Jordan could even beat out undrafted FAs at the 4-3 OLB position.. 

But - will these young guys even be given a fair chance to earn a job, or will the Dolphins just hand Jordan a roster spot because they don't want to take the cap hit by cutting him?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:18 pm

So, I saw on Twitter today 16 days until training camp opens, and we still don't have an answer on Jordan?

I mean come on, they are crippling our decision makers at this point. I believe there is a payment due on day 5 of camp, you would hope the team has more than a few hours or days to weigh that decision.

As this thread makes clear, many are agnostic to whether he makes the team or not. Some are looking for evidence of a fair competition resulting in the possibility he EARNS a spot on the team. Likely would be due to his special teams play and coverage skills at LB, both of which were good.

In any case, come on NFL just give us a damn answer. Geez.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:12 pm

white1 wrote:So, I saw on Twitter today 16 days until training camp opens, and we still don't have an answer on Jordan?

I mean come on, they are crippling our decision makers at this point.  I believe there is a payment due on day 5 of camp, you would hope the team has more than a few hours or days to weigh that decision.

As this thread makes clear, many are agnostic to whether he makes the team or not.  Some are looking for evidence of a fair competition resulting in the possibility he EARNS a spot on the team.  Likely would be due to his special teams play and coverage skills at LB, both of which were good.  

In any case, come on NFL just give us a damn answer. Geez.

They're too busy deciding which teams should wear "color rush" uniforms in a game halfway across the world 2 years from now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:26 am

Try him out at TE if he can catch.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:56 am

I really hope Jordan is not reinstated so we could just end the saga with this colossal BUST once and for all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next