The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better?

3 posters

Go down

Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better? Empty Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better?

Post by rightchea Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:53 am

Omar Kelly wrote:There were holes all over the back end of the Miami Dolphins' defense last year.

While Reshad Jones and Brent Grimes put together seasons worthy of Pro Bowl recognition, the secondary as a unit gave up big passing plays all year.

Opposing quarterbacks produced a 97.4 passer rating against the Dolphins in 2015, which was the worst cumulative passer rating Miami's defense has allowed in franchise history.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-0726-20160725-story.html

I have to say no. Miami needs to do way better in the draft next year with picking up DB. The secondary is going to get eatin' by these WR Miami has to play against.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better? Empty Re: Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better?

Post by white1 Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:31 am

No, not better but different. Bigger and more physical. Will play more press.

Like most defenses, ours will thrive or die on the strength of our pass rush. With the players we have on the DL, it's not a hopeless cause to forecast a strong rush against the passer. If that comes true, our secondary will be fine.

If we can't rush the QB effectively, we will hemorrhage passing yards and go back to the drawing board in the offseason. Let's not forget, we need to be better against the run too. Not a given at all, and our linebackers must play much better with largely the same personnel as last season.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better? Empty Re: Is overhauled Dolphins’ secondary any better?

Post by rightchea Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 pm

It well doesn't look like Miami did enough to make sure that the secondary wasn't short a player.....

james Walker wrote: The Miami Dolphins have a key injury in the secondary before the start of training camp. Second-round pick Xavien Howard will be placed on the physically unable to perform list this week with a knee injury, head coach Adam Gase said Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/21882/dolphins-second-round-pick-xavien-howard-placed-on-pup

It is like Miami is attracted to injured players or players that have a history of injuries.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Ugh. The Howard injury is real bad news for a secondary with little real depth.

I'm not convinced the secondary is better...it may be worse. Sure, Maxwell is a lot bigger than Grimes, but Grimes is a much better player...even last season which was a down year for both players. Not sold on Lippett, at all. At safety, Jone is obviously fine (although the new scheme is a bit of a question) and IAQ should be an upgrade...but given his limited starting experience I consider him a question mark. I like McCain in the slot.

So, yeah, the starting corners don't impress me., and depth is almost non-existent.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down