The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeVante Parker

+3
rightchea
mercury22nathan
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

DeVante Parker Empty DeVante Parker

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 06, 2015 11:04 pm

I read this article on DeVante Parker and thought I would share it. Sounds like he's very grounded and the type of person you want on your team.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article20383608.html

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

DeVante Parker Empty Re: DeVante Parker

Post by mercury22nathan Thu May 07, 2015 11:51 am

Lamar Thomas loves him...

Miami Herald wrote:Long before the Dolphins made DeVante Parker their first-round draft choice, a Dolphins scout had a question for Lamar Thomas, the former Hurricanes and Dolphins receiver who is now Louisville’s wide receivers coach:

“If we drafted DeVante in the first round and in five years if he’s not successful, why would it be?” the scout asked.

Thomas had a good answer: “That means that you guys will have done an awful job developing a quarterback.”

Excluding Parker’s family and Dolphins officials, there was perhaps nobody happier about Miami drafting Parker than Thomas was.

“The crazy thing is he has heard so many Dolphins stories from me,” Thomas told me. “After the draft I told him, ‘Now it’s time to make your own.’”

Thomas said the Dolphins will love what they’re getting.

“I think the world of the kid,” he said. “To have him in my room last year was awesome. He already had a first-round grade last year and he came back to school to finish his degree; his grandmother wanted him to graduate. I almost wanted to cry when he hurt his foot last season.

“His hand/eye coordination and ball catching radius are amazing. He knows how to adjust his body. He can get off jams. As a route runner,… he does a lot of good things. He’s good at slants, hitches, comebacks.”

Thomas said Parker studies diligently and "is like a sponge" absorbing things. When Parker was injured last season, he told Thomas he wanted to come back and dominate.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin asked Thomas if “I was surprised how fast DeVante ran [at the NFL Combine]. I said I was disappointed he was a 4.45. [Louisville cornerback] Charles Gaines runs a 4.3 and I saw DeVante run by Charles Gaines a lot. It's like a Jerry Rice type of speed where DeVante can accelerate.”

The receivers that Parker reminds him of? Thomas mentioned Cincinnati’s A.J. Green (a four-time Pro Bowl selection) and retired former Jaguars receiver Jimmy Smith (a five-time Pro Bowler).

Thomas disputes any notion that Parker is not strong enough, noting he benched 365 pounds last year.

“Dan Marino texted me [during the draft] and said, ‘We got your guy,’” Thomas said. “I told Danny, ‘You would have loved to have this guy on your team. He would have made you even better.’”

And Thomas got another recent phone message that meant a lot to him.

“DeVante sent me a text that shocked the hell of out me. He said, ‘Coach, I appreciate everything you've done for me this season, not only being my coach but my mentor.’ That was awesome. I’m so excited he’s with the Dolphins.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/05/lamar-thomas-on-his-prized-pupil-devante-parker-and-what-dolphins-asked-him-fins-marlins-canes-chatt.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 07, 2015 1:36 pm

It sounds like that everyone is high on this guy. Hope that he is what everyone says he is.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 07, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm sorry, but it's just hard for me to picture Lamar Thomas as a mentor for anybody.

Then again Joey Freaking Porter is now the LB coach for the Steelers. Blew my mind when I found that out.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Parker sounds like a good guy.  Now he just has to prove himself at the NFL level.  Hopefully he'll pan out.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 08, 2015 9:27 am

I have high expectations for Parker. The catch radius he displays is unbelievable and his ability to track the ball over his shoulder is incredible. My only worry on him is that he didn't seem to practice the NFL two feet inbounds rule while making sideline catches in college. Hope he's able to adjust at this level.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Based on what I read today Parker abused Grimes today. Grimes is gimpy but still a very good sign.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Birdmond wrote:Based on what I read today Parker abused Grimes today.  Grimes is gimpy but still a very good sign.  

Hard for me to take OTAs seriously, but Parker is definitely off to a good start.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 27, 2015 8:17 am

I liked him the most out of all of the receivers in the draft. I hope he's as good as advertised during the regular season.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 am

CarsonChris wrote:I liked him the most out of all of the receivers in the draft.  I hope he's as good as advertised during the regular season.

I thought this receiver group was Amari Cooper and everyone else. Cooper is the best route runner I've seen coming out of college since Reggie Wayne. I think he's got Hall of Fame-type ability.

After Cooper, I think you could put a lot of those guys in a hat and just pick - White, Parker, Dorsett, Smith, DGB, Breshad Perriman. I just didn't see a great deal of separation between those guys. On the plus side, Parker appears to fit the Dolphin offense very well in terms of his hands, catch radius and YAC ability - but IMO he's a pretty poor route runner, and unless he quickly improves in that area he may start his career as the 4th receiver. Hopefully Lazor will use him in the red zone at least.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 27, 2015 2:38 pm

If he's the fourth option out of this bunch, then every staff member should be fired, including the entire front office.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Degarmo wrote:If he's the fourth option out of this bunch, then every staff member should be fired, including the entire front office.

At least this year we have decent receiving options if Parker does start off slow. Jennings/Stills/Landry isn't a bad group, with Parker and (hopefully) Matthews coming off the bench in 4 and 5 WR sets and red zone situations.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 am

I waiting on preseason before I judge anyone

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content