The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mitchell to IR, Butler signs

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Mitchell to IR, Butler signs Empty Mitchell to IR, Butler signs

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:08 am

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/09/dolphins-sign-lb-donald-butler.html

The Miami Dolphins wanted a thumper who can play meaningful snaps for them on defense from the linebacker spot. They also wanted to add a seventh linebacker. They've added both today.

The team has signed free agent linebacker Donald Butler.

Butler, one of the top linebackers who came out of the 2010 draft and was picked No. 79 overall by San Diego, signed with Miami after working out for the team Tuesday. He was among multiple linebackers who tried out.

Butler was available after he was released by the Chargers in March 2016 after he played six seasons for that team. He was picked up by the Arizona Cardinals in July and released on the final cut to 53 on Sept. 3.

Butler, 6-1 and 242 pounds, has 238 career tackles, including seven career sacks. He has five forced fumbles and six career recovered fumbles.

Butler is still in his prime at age 27 but obviously his play fell off after December 2014 when he suffered a dislocated elbow. He had been a locker room leader and even team captain for the Chargers and had signed a multi-year contract extension when the team released him.

The Dolphins made room for Butler on the roster by placing defensive tackle Earl Mitchell on injured reserve. Mitchell, nursing a calf injury all preseason, aggravated the injury in the regular-season opener against Seattle.

i guess Phillips has to step up. and with Williams in the concussion protocol, the Phins are getting thin on the line. i fear NE might make that final Seattle drive a precursor of things to come.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Mitchell to IR, Butler signs Empty Re: Mitchell to IR, Butler signs

Post by JMP Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:11 am

Butler's a decent signing at this stage.  He's had a very up and down career, but he is solid veteran depth.  Not sure if he has experience in a 4-3 though - wasn't the Chargers D a 3-4 while he was there?

Hopefully Warmsley can fill in for Mitchell at the level he played at during the preseason.

I heard that the Phins also re-signed DL Chris Jones, but I"m not sure who they cut to make room.

Hopefully Super Mario will be back soon.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Update:

Doughty was cut to make room for Jones.

LB James Burgess was cut from the practice squad, so I guess Doughty will take that spot if he's not signed by another team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Chris Jones was great in preseason, no problems there.

Slightly disappointed on Doughty, but the move makes sense. Can probably sneak him thru to PS.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:39 pm

I saw that I guess he better than A.J. Hawk and Jones makes sense as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Jones can play both inside and outisde so he helps with Mitchell and possibly Williams being out.  Makes sense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 am

But the Dolphins have big plans for Butler once he gets the playbook down.

"Going forward we wanted somebody who could play linebacker," Joseph. "We didn't want to sign a backup linebacker for special teams. We wanted someone to play linebacker for us eventually. As he gets caught up in the playbook, he's going to help us. He's going to play actually "

Joseph said Butler will play the WILL linebacker spot (weakside). That's the position Jelani Jenkins plays.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/09/coordinators-thursday-ajayi-fall-from-grace-the-future-for-donald-butler-cam-wake-dilemma.html

is Jelani maybe on his way out - of at least a starting role?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:55 am

That's sure what it sounds like.  I wish they'd replace Misi instead of Jenkins, but any upgrade would help.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:16 am

Misi actually made a few plays in Seattle. He just cannot shed a block to save his life though.

I had high hopes for Jenkins, but he has never progressed.

The LB play has snorted old vacuum cleaner dust ever since Karlos Dansby got booted by Grandpa Softy Quaesy Joe Philbin IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Old Queasy actually fucked this team really well with his roster demands.  He took a lot of leadership and talent off the roster and replaced it with soggy toast.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Yep.

That's why this is a dramatic rebuild. Queasy Joe shipped out a ton of good players. Some were even approaching elite.

Let's not forget, he wanted no part of Brandon Marshall who is still going strong several years later - and for a division rival. How would he look in our offense right now? Really good, I promise you that.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down