Gase needs to prove himself, starting this week

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gase needs to prove himself, starting this week

Post by JMP on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:04 pm

This game against the Patriots is a huge test for Gase.  I know we have a "new" offense and new coaching staff, and we're facing a top team...but I need to see something different from the Dolphins before I put my faith in Gase.  If the Dolphins go to New England and lay an egg again offensively, then really, what has changed? 

Consider this:
Gase's offense in Chicago scored 23 points in each of its first two games last season - against good teams in Green Bay and Arizona.  Jay Cutler was terrible in week one, and than started strong against the Cards in week 2 before leaving with an injury - replaced by Jimmy Claussen.  Keep in mind that Gase's Bears offense sucked last year and scored 23 or more points just 3 more times after those first 2 games.

So what's my point?  Only this: if Gase can coach a brand new offense to 23 points a game in his first two games with Jay Cutler and Jimmy Claussen at QB, than it shouldn't be too much to ask him to do the same with the Dolphins.  Right?  Miami's week 1 offensive performance was a bust, so let's see what happens against the Pats.

I'd also like to point out this stat:

Cutler started 15 games last season under Gase.  He threw just 21 TDs on the season. Here's a breakdown:
--In 2 games, he threw 0 TDs.
--In 6 games, he threw 1 TD.
--In 6 games, he threw 2 TDs.
--In 1 game, he threw 3 TDs.

I don't know about you, but I'd say that that is pretty fucking awful.  A lot of people love to talk about how Gase made Cutler a better QB and how he's an offensive genius and a "QB whisperer".  That sounds good on paper, but I would say that the real-life results show otherwise.  The results show that Gase is a coach that can do great things with a Hall of Fame QB (Manning in Denver), and pretty bad things with a mediocre QB (Cutler in Chicago).  So, yeah, I'm willing to give him a few games to see what he can do with Tannehill, but when I look at last week's game combined with Gase's work in Chicago - I'm left with an empty feeling.

And yes, I know that other things are involved in the final score...defense and STs of course play a role.  But points scored is really all that matters for an offense, regardless of anything else.

Show me don't tell me.  I don't want to hear that the offense has improved coming off a 10-point effort in week one.  I want to actually see the improvement on the scoreboard.  Put up 23 points against New England, as Cutler and Claussen did against Arizona last season, and I'll maybe start to feel a little better.  But another crappy performance will tell me that my initial gut instinct about Gase just may be correct: that he's a fraud.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gase needs to prove himself, starting this week

Post by white1 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Hard to argue too much against what you've said.

I will say that based on reports out of Miami over the past several months, gase is a leader of men and the staff is much better than previous when teaching and coaching.

Our roster may be weak, but those two qualities over time will pay huge dividends. What we can't ever have is a colossal collapse with listless play on both sides of the ball.

If New England dominates our offense I'm concerned about the team, but not about gase.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Gase is definitely not proving himself today.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:18 pm

He is what we thought he was. He's a dink-and-dunk coordinator.

I'm still waiting until Week 6 to make a full comment though. New offenses take time to start really working, but I don't think anyone has used Tannehill's intermediate passing strength at all in his time in the NFL. Every one of these schemes has been the 1-to-5-yard-pass variety.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am

I was very surprised by the play of our defense. That's a Pats squad missing a ton of talent, with an inexperienced QB. We could not even slow them down.

Granted, Josh McDaniels as a coordinator is WORLDS more experienced than Vance Joseph, and this game demonstrated what that kind of delta can do. Hell, he's been a head coach before. Vance is learning on the job as a DC. I expect him to get better. But he has to get much, MUCH better. Quickly.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top