The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 7 thoughts: Bills at Dolphins

+6
JEGnj
white1
Degarmo
DolFan 316
rightchea
JMP
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Game 7 thoughts: Bills at Dolphins - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 7 thoughts: Bills at Dolphins

Post by JMP Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:34 pm

Yep, I shit all over Ajayi from the second he was drafted.  I never expected him to amount to anything.  Sure am glad he's proving me wrong!

But you're right - I'm interested to see what happens when the running game gets stuffed...I'm not convinced Tannehill is up to that challenge.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 7 thoughts: Bills at Dolphins - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 7 thoughts: Bills at Dolphins

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:52 pm

In fairness, Ajayi was crap until just recently. He had his shots and didn't do a lot with them.

Then again, it wasn't much of a shot. It just goes to prove that most coaches don't know talent at all. They're just looking for guys to buy in, and that's it. Those guys get the rewards. In the end it's all about respecting the warden, but they forget that this isn't prison, they have to earn their respect, and they have to, above all, win.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Degarmo wrote:In fairness, Ajayi was crap until just recently.  He had his shots and didn't do a lot with them.

Then again, it wasn't much of a shot.  It just goes to prove that most coaches don't know talent at all.  They're just looking for guys to buy in, and that's it.  Those guys get the rewards.  In the end it's all about respecting the warden, but they forget that this isn't prison, they have to earn their respect, and they have to, above all, win.

A lot of it is also Gase adjusting his handling of the running game.  For the first 5 weeks of the season, the Dolphins were last in the league in rushing attempts.  Once Gase took power away from Tannehill, cut down on the stupid 5-wide sets and committed to the run, things changed drastically.  Getting Pouncey back has also been huge - he has looked great the past two games, maybe better than he's looked in years.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:34 pm

So we don't want Gase fired now? scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:So we don't want Gase fired now? scratch

I really don't like Gase at all, and the jury is definitely still out as far as I'm concerned. But even if the Phins don't win another game this season, I think these last two wins have already convinced Ross that he's the right guy for the job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Much like every other coach in the NFL . . . Gase wins, he stays. Otherwise, you know the drill.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Keeping an open mind. Wasn't impressed at all with the first five games. Drastic improvement since, despite some devastating injuries. If the quality of the team's play continues to improve, and we see toughness, and more gutsy play calls like that 3rd and 7 yesterday, well, I'd be happy with 2016 regardless of record.

Many teams have turned the corner at some point midway through a new coach's first season and built something. Think 1996 Bucs, 1997 Falcons for examples.

I'll say this, I've already seen more from Gase the last two games than I saw from Failbin the entire time he was here. Of course, I could also say that about Campbell's first two games last year. Time will tell.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 am

Gase is WAY AHEAD of Clueless Queasy Grandpa Joe IMO.

It only took Gase four or five games to see Dallas Thomas was a complete waste of a locker in the locker room! Twere Philbin still here, so would Sloth-Footed Thomas!

Still...we need to see consistency. Not playing great for two games. If all it took was looking like a world-beater for two games, Dan Manimal Campbell would still be the HC!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:30 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Defense trying their hardest to keep the Bills on the field for their last drive was kind of disconcerting, but if it ends up helping in the future, i.e. Bills not out-physical-ing us in our own house, then it'll be worth it.

I get the strange feeling Birdmond didn't mind a bit Laughing

You know it. I want helmets ripped off, complete chaos. I want to be the 70's Raiders. But we gotta win.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:33 am

I'm a Gase fan. He's shown an open mindedness with respect to football philosophy. That's a very good sign.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:41 am

Gase is a better at making adjustments. The issue that was fixed is Miami OL. The starter are playing and they are giving Tannehill time to make "plays" and is making holes for Ajayi

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:33 am

Getting back Pouncey has been huge, and I've not been a big supporter of his, but his ability to get on a linebacker is crucial in the running game.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Degarmo wrote:Getting back Pouncey has been huge, and I've not been a big supporter of his, but his ability to get on a linebacker is crucial in the running game.

Yes I have to agree he's been a beast but how long can he hold up?

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Birdmond wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Getting back Pouncey has been huge, and I've not been a big supporter of his, but his ability to get on a linebacker is crucial in the running game.

Yes I have to agree he's been a beast but how long can he hold up?

That's the real issue isn't it. Same goes for Albert.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 pm

I think releasing Albert in the off season and picking up someone cheaper would make sense. Pouncey is going to be expensive when he a free agent.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:50 pm

That's the problem with this new improved OL - you have three veteran players with injury histories that could end up on IR at any given moment: Albert, Pouncey and Bushrod.  The OL needs a lot of attention - AGAIN - this offseason.  Same story every damn year...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:55 pm

JMP wrote:That's the problem with this new improved OL - you have three veteran players with injury histories that could end up on IR at any given moment: Albert, Pouncey and Bushrod.  The OL needs a lot of attention - AGAIN - this offseason.  Same story every damn year...

True but in theory it should be an easy fix. You've got Tunsil to move to LT and then you draft a guy like Pat Efflin from Ohio State who's a beast at center and guard.

BTW I cannot name another injury prone center not named Pouncey. Think about it. Most centers rarely ever get injured.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:19 pm

The OL should've been an easy fix for the past decade...but it's never easy with this team!  I think we definitely need two starting caliber guards, and someone that can take over at center when Pouncey gets replaced in a year or two.  A guard that can slide over to center would be good.  In theory, that should all be easy...but, we'll see.  And of course there's tons of other holes on the roster too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:22 pm

It's possible we have Pouncey backup/ replacement in Steen. I do not believe there was much of a dropoff, issue was more with missing Albert/Tunsil those weeks.

Backup/replacement center would be nice, but I'd put the two Guard spots as higher priorities, and plan to keep Steen.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:29 pm

white1 wrote:It's possible we have Pouncey backup/ replacement in Steen.  I do not believe there was much of a dropoff, issue was more with missing Albert/Tunsil those weeks.  

Backup/replacement center would be nice, but I'd put the two Guard spots as higher priorities, and plan to keep Steen.

Not sure about Steen.  I guess I'm OK with him as a backup, but when he was starting the OL was terrible.  We couldn't run the ball at all and pass pro sucked.  Tannehill was getting blasted by pressure up the middle almost constantly with Steen at C.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:03 pm

But let's all admit, as of now Pouncey is laying like a beast. Shocking development.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Steen can't get out there and take on the linebackers like Pouncey either. To be honest, you really need a special guy at center and he can make the QB's life a lot better.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 pm

JMP wrote:The OL should've been an easy fix for the past decade...but it's never easy with this team!  I think we definitely need two starting caliber guards, and someone that can take over at center when Pouncey gets replaced in a year or two.  A guard that can slide over to center would be good.  In theory, that should all be easy...but, we'll see.  And of course there's tons of other holes on the roster too.

The issue is that Miami drafts guys that can't really play both positions. They want a guard that can play Tackle or vice versa. That has to stop, they need to draft a guy for one specific position and that it. If he plays guard then keep him there and so on. this dual position BS is not working and has never worked for Miami. Now if he played both position in college and it wasn't something that just happen then fine I can see that but if not then it not.

Let just hope that Gase can stop the nonsense.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:28 am

rightchea wrote:
The issue is that Miami drafts guys that can't really play both positions. They want a guard that can play Tackle or vice versa. That has to stop, they need to draft a guy for one specific position and that it. If he plays guard then keep him there and so on. this dual position BS is not working and has never worked for Miami. Now if he played both position in college and it wasn't something that just happen then fine I can see that but if not then it not.

Let just hope that Gase can stop the nonsense.

Exactly. If a guy played multiple positions in college - great. That works. But, if you draft a lineman and try to teach him 3 positions and move him around constantly, it's not going to work. Identify the best position for the player, and keep him there. Sure, in theory it's great to have one guy that can play any OL position - but how many of those guys would actually be good at all those positions? It's very rare.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:30 am

Birdmond wrote:But let's all admit,  as of now Pouncey is laying like a beast.    Shocking development.  

Hell yeah! I don't know what the hell happened to him, but he's playing the best football of his life.

Big test for Pouncey coming up against the Jets DL. I know their D has been struggling on the back end, but that front is pretty damn strong.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next