HOW Are They DOING This?!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HOW Are They DOING This?!?!

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Doesn't this team KNOW they're supposed to suck and be in contention for a top 5 pick and out of playoff contention altogether by now??? It's like they're too ignorant to realize this. Either that or they've gotten all uppity for some odd reason and actually think they can compete. The nerve, the gall, the sheer EFFRONTERY to actually BELIEVE in themselves!!! It's just not natural, I tell you!!!

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HOW Are They DOING This?!?!

Post by rightchea on Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Well, if you remember back to one of the preseason games, Collingsworth said the Phins all seemed confident, and he thought it was confidence in their new HC. That the players actually BELIEVE Gase knows what he is doing!

Seeing him cut that waste of a roster space Dallas Thomas after another abysmal performance instead of saying he was playing okay like Clueless Queasy Joe did HAS TO count for something IMHO.

If Gase can work some magic on Tannehill now....the Oline doesn't have a series of calamitous season-ending injuries....and Awesome Ajayi keeps on rumbling, bumbling record-settin'.....and the defense doesn't realize it is all done with smoke and mirrors....Who Knows?

Be nice to see a long overdue LEGITIMATE Playoff run.

finfanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm

finfanatic wrote:Seeing him cut that waste of a roster space Dallas Thomas after another abysmal performance instead of saying he was playing okay like Clueless Queasy Joe did HAS TO count for something IMHO.

I still won't give credit to Gase for cutting Thomas and Turner...those moves happened WAY too late, and the team suffered because of it.  Thomas should have been cut months ago, and starting Turner at a brand new position with zero practice time was just plain idiotic.  I can't give Gase a pass for the way he handled those two players.  It was a huge fail on his part, and the fact that he finally did the right thing months after the fact doesn't remove the blame from him IMO.

But, these are the types of things you have to deal with when you have a very young head coach with no previous experience.  He needs to learn on the job, and some of his decisions will hurt the team, at least in the short term.  Maybe he'll develop into a great coach some day, but I hate how he pissed away the first 5 weeks of the season by stubbornly refusing to adapt his schemes to the players.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:39 pm

After reading FF's post now I'm thinking that the 1-4 start was actually due to the players NOT taking Gase seriously due to the whole starting Thomas over Tunsil for half the preseason and then not cutting him right away thing. But once Gase did they saw that yes, Virginia, he really does want to win after all.

Or maybe this is the exact same kind of short term adrenaline boost we saw at this exact same time last year and against the Jets they'll go back to being the Fins we know and loathe the rest of the way. Only the shadow knows...

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:01 pm

I'm with JMP on the two stiffs getting cut.  We all knew they sucked going into LAST year, so, yeah, not a lot about the move impresses me from a talent standpoint, and it's a twofold thing.

First off, if Gase is looking at the OL talent in training camp, and he decides Fuckface and Shithead are good enough to be on the roster, then he himself is a moron.

Secondly, if he is allowing his offensive line coach to tell him that these low-functioning fatasses are good players, then he should have shot Dipshit Mclinecoach right out the door with the two of them.

I think it was a desperate ploy in hopes that the remaining guys would step up because they realize that the're one cut away from packing UPS trucks a la Bernie Parmalee.  It worked out so far, so good for him, but let's also not forget that he did get a couple of key injured guys back in that span.

It worked, for now, but I don't think it was a master plan.  It was a guy who fell off the boat and desperately grasped for something, and caught a lifeline.  

The game plan changes, however, are a different story, and he should be applauded for that.  Perhaps he learned that his "genius QB whisperings" aren't nearly as important as winning football games.  Or maybe, he just got really, really lucky that Ajayi was in actuality a good running back, but he didn't recognize that, AGAIN, in training camp or preseason.

There's no master plan here, no overarching Bellichickian flow chart with outcomes and probabilities.  He got lucky.  Let's see how he does continuing down the road this season. If this trend continues with making decisions, then I'll revisit this and say maybe he's our new evil overlord, but until then, I'm going with desperate luck. Sometimes you hit that Hail Mary pass.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

OK, real nice winning 2 in a row, but not to burst the bubble BUT, we have a bye week. Going strictly from memory, our record after the bye is abysmal. Seems, we usually think, "ok, let's regroup, let's get healthy, let's keep our momentum, etc, etc" and then, BOOM, we lay an egg coming out of the bye. Maybe our resident historian, 316 can give us some figures of post-bye week record from, say the last 15 years. Thanks, in advance.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:45 pm

That is true but Miami has to figure it out and make a run like the Chiefs and the Texans did if they want to make the playoffs.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:27 am

scotgif wrote:OK, real nice winning 2 in a row, but not to burst the bubble BUT, we have a bye week. Going strictly from memory, our record after the bye is abysmal. Seems, we usually think, "ok, let's regroup, let's get healthy, let's keep our momentum, etc, etc" and then, BOOM, we lay an egg coming out of the bye. Maybe our resident historian, 316 can give us some figures of post-bye week record from, say the last 15 years. Thanks, in advance.

You know, Hal could've done it just as well. But I'm flattered that you'd ask me Embarassed Smile

First off, there is nothing that ruins any team's momentum--good or bad--the way a bye week does. If anything there have been more awful teams who caught fire after the bye. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that the loss to the 0-7 Bears in '97 was after they were coming off a bye. And yes, I will be irked about that one until the day I die Evil or Very Mad

ANYWAY...let's take this game by game, starting off in the 2000 season, shall we? I'm actually curious myself as to whether there's a pattern to this.

2000: The infamous MNF Jets loss was right after the bye. I cannot make this stuff up.

2001: Fins beat the Seahawks 24-20, in Seattle. Fins are 3-2 before the bye, but win 3 straight and 6 of 7 afterwards.  

2002: A 24-10 loss at Green Bay, during the infamous Ray Lucas Era. Then again, the Packers were 8-0 at home that regular season.

2003: Beat the Giants 23-10 on the road, first ever regular season win over them in fact.

2004: Lost at 9-7 Seattle 24-17, in the first game of the Post-Wanny Era. In that context it wasn't such a bad loss, really.

2005: Lost at Barfalo 20-14. Fins were 2-1 before the bye, and fell to 3-7.

2006: The Jmp-called thrashing of Da Bears in Chicago  cheers Fins were 1-6 before the bye, then won 4 straight and 5 of 6 afterwards.

2007: Another Bills loss, 13-10. Probably the closest the Fins had come to winning at that point in the season. And finally a post-bye home game for once.

2008: The then 1-2 Fins beat the Chargers 17-10, again at home. They'd lose the next two, however, before starting their playoff run.

2009: Lost to Saints 46-34 at home, blowing leads of 24-3 and 34-24 going into the 4th. Bleh. Two straight wins going into the bye after an 0-3 start.

2010: Beat the SB champ Packers 23-20 in OT on the road, after coming into the bye with 2 straight devastating home defeats to the Jets and Pats.

2011: Fins enter bye at 0-4 and afterwards lay down for the Jets 24-6 in their worst performance yet, as the players were clearly trying to get Sparano fired.

2012: A 30-9 road thrashing of the Jets, after entering the bye 3-3. Followed by 3 straight losses because Philbin.

2013: An agonizing 23-21 home loss to the Bills after the Fins started the season 3-0, then lost 2 straight heading into the bye week.

2014: The infamous Queasy Joe loss to the Packers. Again, not making this up. Fins were 2-2 heading into the bye. They did win the next 3 though.

2015: The glorious 38-10 curbstomping of the Titans, after the Philbin Era had ended before the bye at 1-3.

All in all, a 7-9 record (hmmm, seems familiar). The only real pattern I see is that they've never won two in a row coming off the bye in this century. The latest bye was after 9 games ('04) and in '07 it was after 8 games, with several seasons of it coming after just 3 games.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks for the recap 316. I guess I was mistaken about how bad we've been. It is really just continuing the pattern of mediocrity. I wonder how they've done after a win. Maybe that is where I thought they lose momentum.
scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:35 pm

UPDATE: Fins are now 8-9 after the bye since 2000, with their first two-game win streak in that span Cool

Apparently the answer to my original question is, hand it off to Ajayi as often as possible and then having Williams get in a good run or two per game to mask the mediocre QB and talent-starved D. It only took Gase 6 games to figure it out Laughing

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 am

It only took Gase 6 games to figure it out Laughing

I'll take it, considering Philbin never did figure it out.

Campbell wanted to play like this, but he couldn't come up with the Xs and Os to pull it off.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:41 am

So with the win Yesterday what do we say about Miami now. Is this one of those things where Miami run away a win and win the next 5 or 6 games out of the eight or does everyone figure out stop the run and beat up the OL as much as possible to stop the Dolphins.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 am

white1 wrote:Campbell wanted to play like this, but he couldn't come up with the Xs and Os to pull it off.

Campbell's main problem was that after the two game temporary spike, the players lost all motivation again because they figured out he wouldn't be around this season.

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum