Examining the Remainder of the Miami Dolphins Regular Season Schedule

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Examining the Remainder of the Miami Dolphins Regular Season Schedule

Post by white1 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:29 am

We're not exactly "set" at starting guard either, considering we have an over-the-hill veteran in Bushrod starting at RG, and our future left tackle starting at LG.

I understand the comparison to last year's two game win streak, but I have to draw the contrast that Pittsburgh and Buffalo are far superior to the teams we streamrolled last season. Beating Pittsburgh, WITH their full cast of Roethlhisberger, Brown and Bell is extremely impressive. Everyone had that game as a "L" going into the season.

Buffalo has a history of bringing a physical game we can't compete with, so to see that trend reversed is encouraging.

I understand the comparisons, but IMO these two wins were far better than last seasons two wins.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:39 am

white1 wrote:We're not exactly "set" at starting guard either, considering we have an over-the-hill veteran in Bushrod starting at RG, and our future left tackle starting at LG.

I understand the comparison to last year's two game win streak, but I have to draw the contrast that Pittsburgh and Buffalo are far superior to the teams we streamrolled last season.  Beating Pittsburgh, WITH their full cast of Roethlhisberger, Brown and Bell is extremely impressive.  Everyone had that game as a "L" going into the season.

Buffalo has a history of bringing a physical game we can't compete with, so to see that trend reversed is encouraging.

I understand the comparisons, but IMO these two wins were far better than last seasons two wins.

Yep, guard is a big hole - especially if Tunsil does move to LT next season.  Gievn all the other needs on the team, it probably makes more sense to keep Albert another year (if healthy) and keep Tunsil at LG.  One less starting position to fill that way.

As far as the wins over Pitt and Buff - sure, they were great, especially the way we ran on Buffalo.  But keep in mind that the Steeler D was decimated by injuries at the time, and Roethlhisberger played much of the game on one leg.  And Buffalo was literally using 5th string WRs and Shady McCoy could barely walk.  Not making excuses, and the Phins also had injuries, but those were definitely big factors in the two games IMO.  Regardless, a win is a win and those were two huge victories anyway you slice it.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Yep, guard is a big hole - especially if Tunsil does move to LT next season. Gievn all the other needs on the team, it probably makes more sense to keep Albert another year (if healthy) and keep Tunsil at LG. One less starting position to fill that way.

I agree here. The way Albert plays when healthy is a big part of the decision. He is excellent both pass blocking and run blocking. So, unlike Jake Long, he is not yet over the hill and clearly in decline. One more year is probably the right plan.

I'm okay with Pouncey at Center, because he is excellent when healthy as well. A good backup like Steen (or better) makes it an easier risk to take. Get one guard this offseason, then another the following year if Tunsil does move over to LT.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:33 pm

white1 wrote:
Yep, guard is a big hole - especially if Tunsil does move to LT next season.  Gievn all the other needs on the team, it probably makes more sense to keep Albert another year (if healthy) and keep Tunsil at LG.  One less starting position to fill that way.

I agree here.  The way Albert plays when healthy is a big part of the decision. He is excellent both pass blocking and run blocking.  So, unlike Jake Long, he is not yet over the hill and clearly in decline.  One more year is probably the right plan.

I'm okay with Pouncey at Center, because he is excellent when healthy as well.  A good backup like Steen (or better) makes it an easier risk to take.  Get one guard this offseason, then another the following year if Tunsil does move over to LT.

Yep, I think that's the way to go...again, assuming Albert and Pouncey can still stand!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:58 pm

But they can't, and they won't. It's a plan that's based on a lot of prayer.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Degarmo wrote:But they can't, and they won't.  It's a plan that's based on a lot of prayer.

Yep, but something's gotta give.  We will have so many holes to fill and there's no way to adequately fill them all in one offseaons.  If we can find a position or two that can wait till 2018, that would be ideal.  Unfortunately, that may mean counting on unreliable players for an extra year...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:23 am

I'd solidify both lines right away, but it will have to be with wish fairies and pixie dust because we are lacking picks in the next draft.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 am

Degarmo wrote:I'd solidify both lines right away, but it will have to be with wish fairies and pixie dust because we are lacking picks in the next draft.

I thought we get a 3rd and 4th comp picks. Anyway next year has got to be about the front 7 on D.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 am

Miami draft next year has to be all Defense. I see nothing wrong with getting good players in FA as long as they not too expensive and healthy.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:31 am

Birdmond wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I'd solidify both lines right away, but it will have to be with wish fairies and pixie dust because we are lacking picks in the next draft.

I thought we get a 3rd and 4th comp picks.   Anyway next year has got to be about the front 7 on D.  

As far as I know, comp picks haven't been awarded yet.  There is speculation that Miami will get a 3rd and 4th, but I'm not sure that's definite.  But if we do, those picks are in the back of the round, so it's almost like a 4th and 5th.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:05 pm

We need to balance both players and Scheme IMHO.  

It's evident that we got better when they tried to operate out of a more traditional 4-3 and wide 9 on passing downs. Wake got more pressure and the passing defense improved a little.  

I like talented players but if they don't fit the scheme then its all for not. If the coaches can't find a way to maximize the players talent then why bring them here in the first place.

Case in point. I think Tannehill sucks, But I honestly feel that it's only partly his fault. Scheme changes, Coaching changes, Front office changes were a detriment in his career. I think he has tools that could translate into a very good career but all changes has affected his ability to grow in to a good maybe even great QB

Umix10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Umix10 wrote:I think Tannehill sucks, But I honestly feel that it's only partly his fault. Scheme changes, Coaching changes, Front office changes were a detriment in his career. I think he has tools that could translate into a very good career but all changes has affected his ability to grow in to a good maybe even great QB

I think with Tannehill, we've learned that less is more. If you give him a running game and time to throw, he can manage the offense at a reasonable level. But the more control and responsibilities you give him, the worse he gets. He simply doesn't have the makeup of an alpha QB, and it's clear that he probably never will. At his best, he's just an offensive caretaker that goes along for the ride - he's not a catalyst or a playmaker IMHO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:39 am

He more of a Andy Dalton, he not elite but as long as he has a good team around him he be fine. So maybe we are looking at this wrong, instead of replacing Tannehill get him some people around him that can make plays and help him run the game much smoother.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:20 am

rightchea wrote:He more of a Andy Dalton, he not elite but as long as he has a good team around him he be fine. So maybe we are looking at this wrong, instead of replacing Tannehill get him some people around him that can make plays and help him run the game much smoother.

Good point.  But - even though Dalton makes the playoffs every year, it's always one and done.  I think there's a limit on just how far teams can go with guys like Dalton and Alex Smith - they can get you to the playoffs, but you're not getting to the Super Bowl.  Tannehill might be able to get to that Dalton-Smith level some day, but he's not there yet.  But again, I don't think QBs like that are going to get you a ring...so at some point, you need to upgrade.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Miami should upgrade every where else then the QB so at least the new QB won't be there with a bunch of shitheads.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:40 am

You can only win the Super Bowl one time with a game manager. That's the ceiling. Wink
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 pm

JMP wrote:I think with Tannehill, we've learned that less is more.  If you give him a running game and time to throw, he can manage the offense at a reasonable level.  But the more control and responsibilities you give him, the worse he gets.  He simply doesn't have the makeup of an alpha QB, and it's clear that he probably never will.  At his best, he's just an offensive caretaker that goes along for the ride - he's not a catalyst or a playmaker IMHO.

You just explained the Jets game plan. Seriously.

It might take Gase a while to figure out the obvious, but apparently once he does he sticks with what's working Very Happy

DolFan 316

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top