The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Are 7-25 When...

+3
Degarmo
white1
DolFan 316
7 posters

Go down

Fins Are 7-25 When... Empty Fins Are 7-25 When...

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Tannehill has 36 or more pass attempts. Two of those wins were over the Browns (including the one they should've lost this season) another was the fluky win over Philly last season (20 points scored) and one more was the utterly pointless Vikings win that resulted in Philbin being retained for another quarter of a season.

The flipside is that the Fins are 13-7 when he throws it 30 times or less.

So yeah, keep the ball out of his hands and put it in Ajayi's as much as possible, I say cheers

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Are 7-25 When... Empty Re: Fins Are 7-25 When...

Post by white1 Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 am

Yep. He cannot carry the team. He can play well while supported by good protection and a solid running game.

Considering what we just did against the top rushing defense in the league, we are well on our way to establishing a true strength, not one built on smoke and mirrors.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks for being the one person to reply, I thought maybe this thread was invisible somehow scratch

Worst case scenario: Fins finish with a winning record but don't make the playoffs and because of that Tannehill's kept around even after what seems to be his worst season since his rookie year.

(See? Even at a time like this I can still be pessimistic Cool It's a skill.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:01 pm

There are other factors in that stat,like playing from way behind because of shitty starts. Tannedeberg needed his Okoye. We really need franchise talent at QB

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Wait are you saying that our franchise QB can't be trusted with throwing the ball for a game winning score.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:23 pm

2017 draft may not be the class to go for a QB, but I hear 2018 looks promising.

So I won't be all that upset if we don't get a QB next year. Tannehill's deal is essentially year to year, every offseason there is a way for the team to "opt out" without major consequences.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:41 pm

If Tannehill is an effective QB with a good running game, then we focus on being a power football team until we get "the guy". That's all we can do if we're hoping to win.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 am

Yeah I hearing that the QB that are coming out next year aren't that great. If anything Miami should go for someone in the lower round to let Tannehill know that they are not going to let him play badly for no reason.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 am

Drafting a QB is a MUST.  Even if it's a late pick - the talent and competition at the position have to be improved.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:21 am

My thinking on this has changed. I read today that one scout thinks next year's QB class will be the worst since '96. Here is the '96 QB class BTW.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1996&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=30&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos=qb&college_id=all&conference_id=any&show=all&order_by=default

Drafting a QB just to draft one if the guy's nowhere near NFL caliber would literally be a wasted pick. But then again most picks by this team are anyway, right? (Rim shot.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:46 am

But how do you know which QBs are not NFL caliber?  It's not an exact science.  A lot of people thought Dak Prescott was garbage heading into this past draft, and he lasted till the 4th round.  The position is too important to just ignore.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:26 am

I don't recall anybody saying Prescott was 'garbage". He wasn't disregarded, just ignored. Which even without hindsight seems really weird, since you'd think a record setting QB from an SEC school would at least get a long look. Especially when he's far and away the best QB in that school's history.

BTW if you have time enough to go back and read the preseason Cowboys game thread, I pretty much was the first one to tell everybody that hey, this Prescott guy seems really good, actually Cool

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:29 am

rightchea wrote:Wait are you saying that our franchise QB can't be trusted with throwing the ball for a game winning score.

Well, he did throw for a game clinching score against the Bills late on 3rd and 7.

Tanny is a lot better QB with an effective running game, but aren't they all? That's a big reason Prescott is off to such a solid start.

Really hoping that the major investment in the O-line is finally paying off the way Dallas' did.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 am

HalCHorn wrote:Really hoping that the major investment in the O-line is finally paying off the way Dallas' did.  

It's still a work in progress, though. 
--Bushrod is just a stopgap, and is a FA in 2017
--James is wildly inconsistent, and is a FA in 2018
--Albert makes a shit-ton of money ($10.6M cap hit next season) and is injury-prone
--Pouncey makes a shit-ton of money ($8.975M cap hit next season) and is injury-prone

I'd say Tunsil is the only OL we can truly count on long-term.  The right side of the OL is very "iffy", and Albert and Pouncey are injuries waiting to happen.  This new-look OL could fall apart at any given moment, so let's enjoy it while we can!

And - the depth at OL remains a MAJOR question.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:13 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I don't recall anybody saying Prescott was 'garbage". He wasn't disregarded, just ignored. Which even without hindsight seems really weird, since you'd think a record setting QB from an SEC school would at least get a long look. Especially when he's far and away the best QB in that school's history.

BTW if you have time enough to go back and read the preseason Cowboys game thread, I pretty much was the first one to tell everybody that hey, this Prescott guy seems really good, actually Cool

Not sure what you were looking at pre-draft, but I saw a lot of people listing Dak as a 6th or 7th rounder and projecting him as nothing more than a career back-up.  People questioned his accuracy, consistency and decision-making, and didn't think he could handle a pro-style offense.  I think everyone across the board loved his leadership, but I'd say more analysts than not expected him to fail as an NFL QB.

But my point stands: you can't ignore the most important position on the field just because it's supposedly not a "great" draft class.  As JJ always said, every draft is great if you draft the right players.  Gems can be found anywhere in the draft at any position every year, and when Matt Moore is your only back-up QB it makes sense to take a flier on a young QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:55 am

DolFan 316 wrote:My thinking on this has changed. I read today that one scout thinks next year's QB class will be the worst since '96. Here is the '96 QB class BTW.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1996&year_max=1996&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=30&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos=qb&college_id=all&conference_id=any&show=all&order_by=default

Drafting a QB just to draft one if the guy's nowhere near NFL caliber would literally be a wasted pick. But then again most picks by this team are anyway, right? (Rim shot.)

Completely agree but this time last year Wentz and Prescott were both part ot an "aweful QB" class. I keep saying it, it's too early to make a call on a QB class.

But I have no desire to draft a QB next season. Next year for me is all about the D. The only exemption is maybe a dominant guard or center. Otherwise I want to focus on the front 7 of the defense.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down