The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goff to start for Rams Sunday

+3
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
JMP
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Goff to start for Rams Sunday - Page 2 Empty Re: Goff to start for Rams Sunday

Post by white1 Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Alonso is a restricted free agent. I wouldn't sign him to a long-term deal. Let's see him put togther two conseuctive healthy/solid seasons first - let him earn it. He's way too inconsistent for my taste, and I worry that his inability to shed blocks might be even more problematic playing outside.

Did not know he would be a RFA, in that case I agree, why not keep him one more year on an extension of a prove-it deal?

I don't agree with you on Branch, he's shown flashes in the past and this year he's played with more consistency. I do believe he can be signed to a reasonable deal, that is one of my assumptions. If he overprices himself, then totally agree he's not worth a Vernon-level deal.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:31 pm

white1 wrote:
Alonso is a restricted free agent.  I wouldn't sign him to a long-term deal.  Let's see him put togther two conseuctive healthy/solid seasons first - let him earn it.  He's way too inconsistent for my taste, and I worry that his inability to shed blocks might be even more problematic playing outside.

Did not know he would be a RFA, in that case I agree, why not keep him one more year on an extension of a prove-it deal?

I don't agree with you on Branch, he's shown flashes in the past and this year he's played with more consistency.  I do believe he can be signed to a reasonable deal, that is one of my assumptions.  If he overprices himself, then totally agree he's not worth a Vernon-level deal.

I'll have to look into Alonso...I thought he was an RFA but maybe I'm wrong?  In any case, I'd be hesitant to give him a big-money long-term deal.

I think Branch is the type of player you can find pretty easily.  He's solid at everything, but not great at anything.  But in this age of free agency, he could command much more $$ than he's worth.  I don't think the Dolphins should play that game, overpaying for solid-but-not-great talent.  That's how teams get in trouble.  I'm fine with a reasonable deal for Branch, but nothing crazy.  I think we're on the same page there.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Yep. To clarify a bit on Alonso, I'm not expecting we will need to offer a big money deal to sign him longer term.

His record is good, not great, and he has an injury history, which will suppress the market for him.

Those injuries work both ways also. He'll be looking for some guaranteed money to give himself security, in the case he gets hurt often enough to derail his career.

If the team can reach a reasonable deal and lock him up for 3 or 4 years, I'm all for it.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm finding mixed info about Alonso's contract.  I'm seeing both UFA and RFA, and I also saw an article that said the Phins signed him to a 2-year deal, meaning he is locked up for 2017.  So, I'm not sure what the truth is.

But - I will say this...I just don't think he's that good.  Sure, he can make a splash play every now and again like the INT last week.  But prior to that play, he has been borderline-bad in pass coverage all season, and his run stopping is mediocre at best.  As I've said all season, most of his tackles tend to come after the back has already gained 4+ yards - and that's because Alonso is unable to shed blocks quickly enough to stop the play sooner.  I see a high-energy guy that eventually gets to the ball, and he's clearly better than recent Dolphin LBs...but overall, he's just not a player I would commit to long-term.  I'd give him 2017 and go from there before I go all-in on a long-term deal. 

And whether we keep Alonso or not, I really hope the Phins bring in a legit MLB in 2017.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:24 am

And whether we keep Alonso or not, I really hope the Phins bring in a legit MLB in 2017.

Agreed, this seems like an obvious need and one that really shouldn't be too hard to address, either in FA or the draft.

And don't get me started on Misi. Haven't we seen enough of that guy already?

We really have to get some new blood in here at linebacker. I'd probably keep Alonso and Butler, release Misi, Jenkins and Paysinger. We still have Hull, Hewitt and Vigil, and I'd bring in at least two more starting caliber guys - one MLB and one SLB.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:37 pm

white1 wrote:And don't get me started on Misi.  Haven't we seen enough of that guy already?

Misi's career is likely over from what I've heard. I know you're not trying to be a dick but keep the sick of Misi talk on the downlow for now.

I maintain that this team's scouts have absolutely no ability whatsoever to identify O-line or LB talent. The past few drafts make it obvious. Sure, they can get the no-brainers right, like Long or Albert or Pouncey or Tunsil, but the big boys can acquire decent O-linemen in rounds other than the first. And at some point the Fins have to start viewing LBs as something other than pure ST guys.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:27 am

Geez did not know that about Misi. Of course I didn't mean to wish him any ill will.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:04 am

For the fact that his people are from Puerto Rico and Columbia might make he want to stay in Miami for cheap.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2