The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins running game?

+6
Degarmo
DolFan 316
finskev
JMP
white1
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dolphins running game?  Empty Dolphins running game?

Post by CarsonChris Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Watching the game this weekend I noticed the running game completely disappears at critical times. The final time being first and goal at the 2 yard line. A 2 yard run at the goal line should almost be a given but we seem to get stuffed. It almost cost us the chance at the game winning field goal.

Also of note, our short passing game when we need short gains. Stuffed time and again. Need 4 yards. Throw a 2 yard screen that nets 3 yards. I think this team could be better than it's showed if we call the proper yardage play and fix the short yardage runs.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Dolphins running game?  Empty Re: Dolphins running game?

Post by white1 Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 am

Agreed. Right now, I believe what you're seeing is Steen getting blown up way too often. He's allowing pressure in the QBs face, and running backs are getting stuffed at the line much too often.

HUGE difference from when Pouncey was in there. Pouncey is an elite run blocker.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:59 am

Yep.  Steen is the weak link.  He's getting worse by the game.  He's killing this offense.

Short yardage has been an issue for years, and it's one reason we continue to suck on third downs (#30 in the NFL).  That's one area where Gase hasn't had any answers.

In fact, for all the good Gase has done, our offense really is pretty damn weak from a statistical standpoint:
- Ranked 20 in points per game
- Ranked 20 in points scored
- Ranked 26 in yards per game
- Ranked 31 in first downs per game
- Ranked 32 in first downs made
- Ranked 30 in third down percentage

On the plus side, we are #10 in yards per play.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Steen can't move the Dt on a running play so he can get to Lb and open a hole, keep getting knocked backwards.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 pm

finskev wrote:Steen can't move the Dt on a running play so he can get to Lb and open a hole, keep getting knocked backwards.

Yep...and we happen to be facing some damn good DTs the next two games...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:07 am

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Somebody's been reading this board again...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article121002358.html

From the article:
“Coming off some of these injuries we’ve had up front, some moving pieces, and we played some good defensive fronts, that’s the one thing that myself and coaches have been reminding him of,” coach Adam Gase said Wednesday. “Just remember we have played some good teams … And the teams that have been good on defense, it’s been the front seven that has been the strength of all of these teams that we’ve played.”

What a crock of shit.  That's a loser's mentality, and I expected better from Gase.  Like Armando said - strong running teams can run the ball against any opponent.  Bottom line: the run-blocking is non-existent without Pouncey, and Ajayi can't make his own yards behind the line. 

It's amazing that the loss of one player could have such a huge impact, but that's exactly what happened.  Without Pouncey, there's no running game - period.  The coaches have been unable to adjust the scheme and get back on track.

The Jets and Bills both have strong DLs and active LBs...so I guess Gase is telling us we won't be able to run against them either.  No surprise, given that Matt Moore is now the QB and our opponents are going to stack the line on every down.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Somebody's been reading this board again...

It's amazing that the loss of one player could have such a huge impact, but that's exactly what happened.  Without Pouncey, there's no running game - period.  The coaches have been unable to adjust the scheme and get back on track.

This is why I'm always harping on the team game thing, and the importance of the lines.  No, you don't have to be the best OL or DL, but if you are, or you're damn good, it makes things a helluva lot easier.  Just ask Dak Prescott.  Those guys in the trenches are just as much stars as the rest of them out there.

I have not been a Pouncey supporter because of his lackluster training of his lower body, which makes him susceptible to injury, and he's injured, a lot.  The old Mandich principle, ability AND durability make greatness.  As you say, JMP, you can't win a lot of games from the ice tub.[/quote]

Last edited by Degarmo on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:47 am

Urbik and a rookie named Brendel appear to be the backup centers. is Steen's play bad enough that it is time to give the more experienced Urbik a shot starting at center? otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much of anything else that can be done.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:24 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Urbik and a rookie named Brendel appear to be the backup centers.  is Steen's play bad enough that it is time to give the more experienced Urbik a shot starting at center?  otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much of anything else that can be done.

I'm ready to give Urbik a chance.  Steen is killing us.  Urbik is not great, but he is solid.  He's more of a guard than a center, but then again so is Steen - and at this point I don't think we have anything to lose...we are in must-win mode and have to do whatever we can to get the running game going.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 am

I think we might be surprised with Matt Moore and how teams are going to play this particular offense. Moore pushes the ball downfield. Moore has never been a dink and dunk kind of guy. good or bad, defense's cant just stack the line. If Moore can go downfield with success in the early going I think that Ajayi will have some success.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 am

Umix10 wrote:I think we might be surprised with Matt Moore and how teams are going to play this particular offense.  Moore pushes the ball downfield. Moore has never been a dink and dunk kind of guy. good or bad, defense's cant just stack the line.  If Moore can go downfield with success in the early going I think that Ajayi will have some success.  

I definitely don't believe in Moore's ability the way you do.  He is certainly a gunslinger, but his accuracy is crap and he hasn't started a game since 2011.  He gets sacked a lot and he's a fumbling machine.  Gase's plan MUST be to limit the number of passes Moore throws, and ride the running game.  Especially on Saturday in a game that will have near-freezing temperatures and possibly icy rain falling on and off all night.  And if that's not Gase's plan, it will likely lead to a loss.

As a defense, I would 100% play the run and dare Matt Moore to beat me.  No way I'm giving Matt Moore any credit unless he earns it. 

Personally, I think Moore is going to be an absolute disaster on Saturday night...just have to hope we can scheme our way to some TDs with creative playcalling, and pray that the defense forces turnovers and maybe gets a TD of their own.  We're going to have to pull out all the stops to try to cover up Moore's warts.  As much as I don't like him, this could be a good time to work Jakeem Grant into the offense and hope he can spring some big plays.  With Moore at QB, this seems like a very bland, predictable offense, and Gase is going to have to do something different in order to get points on the board.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:38 pm

I'd take it a step further JMP. I'd be running some Wild Cat with Drake as the QB.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'd take it a step further JMP.   I'd be running some Wild Cat with Drake as the QB.  

Might not be a bad idea...have to do something to jumpstart the offense.  Give the Jets looks and formations they've never seen from this Dolphins team.  Speed may be negated somewhat by the rain/ice, but I'd try to work Drake and Grant in and let their speed do some damage.  Have to find a way to hide (and help) Moore as much as possible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:57 am

I think the gameplan stays the same. It would be different if Moore was a rookie but he's got NFL experience. I think the only drop off is that Tannehill's more athletic and has got actual game experience in the system.

I think there is nothing to hide with Moore he's been around the league for sometime and I'm positive there is game film on him. Defensively I would press the corners and send blitzes early and often to see if they can make Moore uncomfortable. If Moore can get some completions short with a lot of RAC (this is the key) I think he'll have a good day
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Umix10 wrote:I think the gameplan stays the same.  It would be different if Moore was a rookie but he's got NFL experience.  I think the only drop off is that Tannehill's more athletic and has got actual game experience in the system.  

I think there is nothing to hide with Moore he's been around the league for sometime and I'm positive there is game film on him.  Defensively I would press the corners and send blitzes early and often to see if they can make Moore uncomfortable.  If Moore can get some completions short with a lot of RAC (this is the key) I think he'll have a good day

I guess we just have different views on Moore.  I think he sucks and is a HUGE dropoff from Tannehill.  Moore's experienced, but that experience is ancient history at this stage.  2011 was a loooong time ago in NFL terms.  Is he even ready to play a full game?  Who knows?

When I say the Dolphins need to 'hide' Moore, I don't mean try to trick other teams.  I mean try to hide his weaknesses by getting more creative with playcalling and peronnel packages.

I'll be honest...the idea of trotting out Fumblin' Matt Moore on a cold, wet night in enemy territory in a must-win game scares the crap out if me!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Fumblin' Matt . . . had me laughing Very Happy

I would love to have confidence in the cagey old veteran coming off the bench, but Moore's no Strock of Morrall (we miss ya, Earl). Moore does push the ball downfield, but he does it in a Case Keenum sort of way, just heave it out there regardless of coverage of scheme.

What we need is for Moore to play like that one year he was forced off the bench in Carolina where he got an upper 90s rating and like 8 TDs and 2 INTs or something. I think it was 2009 - I just looked it up last week, so I'm going off memory here, because clicking the tab up above and opening a statistics reference page would be just too hard Razz.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:37 am

Along with the LB situation, as it becomes harder and harder to find quality QBs, the running game will become more 'in vogue'. But the rules of the game are still geared toward passing. We'll see how far the Cowboys and Chiefs get this season, but I still believe that Super Bowls are won with the passing game in today's NFL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:47 am

The rules shift with the game, to keep viewership up, and scoring up. If running starts to rule the day, watch the holding rules change. Today's NFL will become yesterday's NFL quickly.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Well, the running game wasn't any more successful tonight, but Gase and Co. stayed committed to it, with a 21/18 run/pass ratio with 6 minutes left. I'd do the same next week; helped set up some big passing plays tonight.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:41 pm

It's all about the center at this point. You could see so many times that Urbik when released would get lost in the second level.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 am

Running game??? As long as the Fins have Mighty Matt Moore they don't need no stinkin' running game Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 am

Like I said........if he can get completions short with RAC he is going to have. A good day. They stacked the line and dared the one guy who will throw it deeper.

He stayed in the pocket and threw it. My only issue is that he could have set his feet a lot more than he did, hence the pick.

Moore was very poised and commanded the offense better than tannehill IMHO. The run game served its purpose and made the jets think that they would keep it that way. Credit goes to Gase by NOT changing the game plan and letting Moore run the offense
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:17 am

JMP wrote:
Umix10 wrote:I think the gameplan stays the same.  It would be different if Moore was a rookie but he's got NFL experience.  I think the only drop off is that Tannehill's more athletic and has got actual game experience in the system.  

I think there is nothing to hide with Moore he's been around the league for sometime and I'm positive there is game film on him.  Defensively I would press the corners and send blitzes early and often to see if they can make Moore uncomfortable.  If Moore can get some completions short with a lot of RAC (this is the key) I think he'll have a good day

I guess we just have different views on Moore.  I think he sucks and is a HUGE dropoff from Tannehill.  Moore's experienced, but that experience is ancient history at this stage.  2011 was a loooong time ago in NFL terms.  Is he even ready to play a full game?  Who knows?

When I say the Dolphins need to 'hide' Moore, I don't mean try to trick other teams.  I mean try to hide his weaknesses by getting more creative with playcalling and peronnel packages.

I'll be honest...the idea of trotting out Fumblin' Matt Moore on a cold, wet night in enemy territory in a must-win game scares the crap out if me!!

Not that I'm trying to rub it in JMP but I'm glad that this is a win for the Phins but, they stuck to the gameplan!  Ajayi had 19 carries and 51 yards. and Moore went 12/18 236 4 and 1.  Regardless, this is a win for all of us.  Next up the jills!!!!!! And we are still in the hunt. As much as I hate the Patriots and know the Broncos can knock us out, I want it to come down to the PATRIOTS game.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Running game??? As long as the Fins have Mighty Matt Moore they don't need no stinkin' running game Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 Just . . . stop. Very Happy

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next