Vance Joseph rumored to be top pick in Denver

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vance Joseph rumored to be top pick in Denver

Post by HalCHorn on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Kubiak reportedly stepping down for health reasons, and Teryl Austin declined to interview for this position two years ago.

Would hate to see Joseph go, but imagine he'll be a hot candidate elsewhere too.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Vance Joseph rumored to be top pick in Denver

Post by JEGnj on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Well after the opening drive by the Pats Vance can go to Denver.

JEGnj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:03 pm

When you have both safeties, starting CB and a LB missing you not doing much against the Pats. Miami D also looked confused during some plays.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:34 pm

and didn't we worry every year that some team would scoop up offensive genius Lazor to be a HC?

while i am happy to give Joseph the benefit of the doubt and want to see his scheme with real talent, i am not sure a 1-year d-coordinator whose defense...

the Dolphins were 29th in total defense – 30th against the run and 15th against the pass. This Dolphins defense allowed more yards than any Dolphins team in history.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article124156784.html

...is what the league is looking for in a HC. yes, he's done an adequate job considering the injuries - at least 10-6 and in the playoffs says so.

but if i may be cynical for a minute, i strongly suspect Vance Joseph is being used to satisfy the Rooney rule. its not that i don't think that he may some day be considered a legitimate HC candidate, i just don't think now is that time.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Tons of teams are now reportedly interested in Joseph, including the Bills.  Sad to say, but I think he's the token black interview this year.  There's no way he's ready to be a head coach...hell, I'm still not sure he's ready to be a coordinator!

Regardless, I have no problem with Joseph leaving.  No team in the history of the Miami Dolphins has given up more yardage than this Dolphin team, and I have seen nothing special at all from Joseph.  I know he hasn't been given much to work with and there's been a few key injuries, but there's just no excuse for the lack of adjustments and the crappy product he's been putting on the field.  The games against the Ravens, Bills and Patriots over the last little bit here have been absolute embarrassments, and I expect more of the same against Pittsburgh.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:23 pm

I have to agree but with so many teams needing coaches Joseph might get pick up by a team.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:24 pm

rightchea wrote:I have to agree but with so many teams needing coaches Joseph might get pick up by a team.

That's true...not too many big name coaches out there, so some teams will take a chance on some of these younger coordinators. If Joseph interviews well and has a good plan, who knows?

I said last year that I think Frank Reich is going to make a great coach some day. Not sure he's ready yet, but he may get some looks this offseason. I heard the Bills may want to talk with him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 pm

I'd think the top D-coordinator candidate at the moment is likely Teryl Austin. He's been a member of 3 Super Bowl staffs in the past 11 years, a coordinator with Detroit for the past 3.

Hoping Joseph stays, would like to see what he could do with a healthier secondary and some more talent at LB.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:48 am

Sounds like the Bill's player want their intern head coach to be permanent.

Also just saw this as well.....

jon heath wrote:Joseph, 44, was the team's second choice when they hired Gary Kubiak in 2015, according to Klis. He coached under Kubiak while with the Houston Texans alongside several coaches on Denver's current staff.

Though Denver's head coach gig is Joseph's to lose, according to Marvez, he is not the only candidate for the job. The Broncos will interview Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan on Saturday and Kansas City Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub sometime this week, according to Klis.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/broncos-coaching-job-is-vance-joseph%E2%80%99s-to-lose-per-report/ar-BBxROCY?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

It sounds like he was already on their radar and he got the job if his interview goes well. Lets hope that Gase has someone else in mind for DC

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:24 am

I also read that Elway wants someone to develop his young QBs. To me that sounds like Shanahan will have the best shot. Unless Joseph can show up with confidence he has the right OC and QB coach to do that work.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

Rumors continue, with Joseph sketching out his staff:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/report-vance-joseph-reaches-out-to-mike-mccoy-for-oc/

I wonder who Gase would bring in to run our defense if Joseph does leave? Or would he hire from within?

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 am

I'll help Vance pack.  Good riddance.

I'm hearing that if he does leave, the new DC will be current LB coach Matt Burke.  Not sure what to make of him...he did a great job coaching LBs with the Bengals and Lions, but it's hard to judge his job in Miami since he's been given a pile of garbage to work with.  I think I'd prefer to start over with an experienced coordinator, but I suppose we could do worse than Burke.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 am

I think I'd prefer to start over with an experienced coordinator, but I suppose we could do worse than Burke.

Same article, I read that Wade Phillips could be out in Denver. Can he run a 4-3 or is he exclusively a 3-4 guy? To extend that thought a bit, we're so weak at both defensive line and linebacker, it probably wouldn't be much of a trick to totally change the scheme anyways. Suh could work out as an excellent 3-4 DE.

He's one of those guys that seems to build great defenses wherever he goes, he would be one of my top choices were it up to me.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 am

If you can get Wade Phillips, you back up the Brinks truck and get him - and let him do whatever he wants with the defense.  I'm fine with going to a 3-4...like you said, we need to overhaul the DL and LBs anyway.  Wade Phillips would be a monster hire...can totally take this team to another level.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 pm

When Vance Joseph interviews with the Broncos Tuesday, he may be selling them a familiar face as his offensive coordinator.

Via Alex Marvez of the Sporting News, Joseph has reached out to former Chargers head coach Mike McCoy about the possibility of being his offensive coordinator.

Joseph also seems to be leaning toward hiring Joe Woods as his defensive coordinator if he gets the job, which would send Wade Phillips out into the market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/report-vance-joseph-reaches-out-to-mike-mccoy-for-oc/

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I'd take Wade Phillips as D coordinator. I like the 3-4 better. We already have Phillips and he's built as a space eater in the middle!

CarsonChris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Is Suh worth a shit in the 3-4?

Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 pm

Uhhm, one thing, the 3-4 requires 4 LB'ers. Preferably, 2 playmaking outside guys. Name me one playmaking LB we have on this roster. We have enough holes to fill. Why add more LB'ers to the list? I like Wade Phillips, but at 69, is he the future?

scotgif

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 am

scotgif wrote:Uhhm, one thing, the 3-4 requires 4 LB'ers. Preferably, 2 playmaking outside guys. Name me one playmaking LB we have on this roster. We have enough holes to fill. Why add more LB'ers to the list? I like Wade Phillips, but at 69, is he the future?

Even if we stick with a 4-3, we have no LBs. We need to add a bunch regardless of what system we play, so it really doesn't make much difference.

Wade Phillips is not the future, but he can be the present. Fix this defense, and maybe we can make a real playoff run within 2 years.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

If Joseph leaves, the next defensive coordinator will be determined by “What does Suh want?” If Suh doesn’t want to play in a 3-4, then the Phins will not be in a 3-4. I don’t agree with it, but the Phins have too much money tied up in Suh and will do what they believe will give them the best chance by building the defense around a happy Ndamukong Suh. Cause Suh is going to do what he wants regardless of scheme anyways. Coyle ran a gap contain 4-3, but Suh complained (and freelanced) that he wanted the interiors to attack – and guess what, the Phins changed their scheme. The entire DC search that resulted in Joseph was all about what was best to utilize Suh. Even if Gase wanted to do something different, Ross and Tannenbaum know where (or in whom) their salary cap is invested.

mercury22nathan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 am

mercury22nathan wrote:If Joseph leaves, the next defensive coordinator will be determined by “What does Suh want?”  If Suh doesn’t want to play in a 3-4, then the Phins will not be in a 3-4.  I don’t agree with it, but the Phins have too much money tied up in Suh and will do what they believe will give them the best chance by building the defense around a happy Ndamukong Suh.  Cause Suh is going to do what he wants regardless of scheme anyways.  Coyle ran a gap contain 4-3, but Suh complained (and freelanced) that he wanted the interiors to attack – and guess what, the Phins changed their scheme.  The entire DC search that resulted in Joseph was all about what was best to utilize Suh.  Even if Gase wanted to do something different, Ross and Tannenbaum know where (or in whom) their salary cap is invested.  

That's an excellent point.  I agree that it's probably not the best thing, but I do think it is probably true.  Suh does have a lot of power on this team, and it doesn't seem like anyone questions him.

Suh as a DE in a 3-4 is very intriguing to me.  I think it would allow him to make more big plays.  In the current defense, he's more or less a space-eater - which IMO really hampers his ability to be the beast he was earlier in his career.  He's still great, but I don't think he's as much of a playmaker as he used to be.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:36 pm

After reading this... why limit ourselves to an internal replacement? Does "continuity" really count for a unit that performed like our defense did this season?

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article125632899.html

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 am

Rumor posted today, offer is coming from Denver:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/report-broncos-job-offer-expected-for-vance-joseph/

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am

I saw that as well. If he takes the offer then good luck to him and his family.

With that said I don't like who they have for a candidate. I have no issue with upgrading someone that is on the coaching staff but at the same time Miami's D was horrible and they need someone else to come in and make them better.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 am

I saw that as well. If he takes the offer then good luck to him and his family.

With that said I don't like who they have for a candidate. I have no issue with upgrading someone that is on the coaching staff but at the same time Miami's D was horrible and they need someone else to come in and make them better.

I tend to agree with this viewpoint.

While I have no basis to claim that Matt Burke (sp?) will be crap as a DC, he's the guy I believe is going to be elevated, if your defensive coordinator gets a head coaching job that's an opportunity. It speaks well of the Fins that another team, and a respected AFC power, thought highly enough of Joseph to offer him the job.

Why not take this opportunity to possibly UPGRADE on defense? Another respected coach, Jim Washburn, is also retiring so "continuity" does not look like a real possible goal right now.

Suh? He will play for Gase, and he respects anyone that will make him effective and look good while doing it.

Re-iterating earlier points, if you can get a proven DC talent like Wade Phillips why would you NOT do that in favor of a first-time assistant getting his first shot at being a DC? Let's build the defense first, THEN worry about what to do when it's time for Phillips to retire in a few years.

We're going to continue suffer growing pains while Gase continues to learn on the job as a head coach. Acquiring a proven, veteran defensive coordinator to stabilize that piece of the team would be a huge boost.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top