The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins)

+4
Birdmond
rightchea
JMP
Umix10
8 posters

Go down

201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins) Empty 201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins)

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I went to first-pick.com and got these results. With almost the entire LB corps to fill. I thought it was best to acquire more picks. We currently don't have a 3rd and 4th. I believe Tannebaum will absolutely trade out of 25 to get back into the 3rd and 4th. Tell me what you guys think

Round 2 Pick 18 (CLE): DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 19 (T.B.): Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State (A)
Round 2 Pick 30 (K.C.): Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (CLE): Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple (A)
Round 3 Pick 13 (ARI): Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky (A)
Round 3 Pick 19 (T.B.): Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26 (ATL): Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (Fla.) (A+)
Round 4 Pick 3 (CHI): Bryan Cox, DE, Florida (B)
Round 5 Pick 24: Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan (A)
Round 6 Pick 24: James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (A-)
Round 7 Pick 24: Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M (A+)
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins) Empty Re: 201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins)

Post by JMP Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Very nice.  Some good players on there, but not sure they'll all last that long.  For example, DeMarcus Walker could go in the first, and I expect Glasgow to be off the board in the 2nd round.

Kaaya is going to be a player that scouts either love or hate.  I can see him getting overdrafted because the QB position is so hard to fill.  If he can ever put it all together, he could be a good one.  Physically, he's got everything you'd want.

I expect a lot of trades...Tannenbaum is going to be in full wheeling and dealing mode.  Don't be surprised if we end up with fewer picks than we currently have - I think he's going to look to trade up as much as he can.

When are compensatory picks announced?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins) Empty Re: 201 7 NFL Mock Draft (Miami Dolphins)

Post by Umix10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

I agree about the wheeling and dealing. I don't know about trading up. In this draft and the many holes on the team to fill I think the best strategy is to add picks but who knows with tannebaum you beverlnow
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Umix10 wrote:I agree about the wheeling and dealing. I don't know about trading up.  In this draft and the many holes on the team to fill I think the best strategy is to add picks but who knows with tannebaum you beverlnow

My fear is that Tannenbaum will think we're "close" and just target a couple of players in the draft instead of trying to fill as many holes as possible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:10 pm

With Gase and Tannebaum releasing players now, they might be looking for getting more picks in the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:17 pm

JMP wrote:
Umix10 wrote:I agree about the wheeling and dealing. I don't know about trading up.  In this draft and the many holes on the team to fill I think the best strategy is to add picks but who knows with tannebaum you beverlnow

My fear is that Tannenbaum will think we're "close" and just target a couple of players in the draft instead of trying to fill as many holes as possible.

Honestly this is more my philosophy. If you see two players in rounds 1 and 2 that you love. Do whatever it takes to get them. Screw the rest of the draft.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:

Honestly this is more my philosophy.  If you see two players in rounds 1 and 2 that you love.  Do whatever it takes  to get them.  Screw the rest of the draft.  

That philosophy is how we ended up with Leonte Carroo! Razz

I agree with that idea for a QB, or even a once-in-a-lifetime type skill position player. But one of the things that has hurt the Dolphins is a lack of quality depth this season. Yes, we've won with scrubs...but this would be such a better team if we had quality backups at OL, S and LB. Quality depth is built through the draft. If you trade away all your picks, you're left picking through the undrafted FA pile. If you're close to being a SUper Bowl team, targeting a specific player or two makes more sense. But IMHO the Dolphins are very far from being in that position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:09 am

JMP wrote:
Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:

Honestly this is more my philosophy.  If you see two players in rounds 1 and 2 that you love.  Do whatever it takes  to get them.  Screw the rest of the draft.  

That philosophy is how we ended up with Leonte Carroo! Razz

I agree with that idea for a QB, or even a once-in-a-lifetime type skill position player. But one of the things that has hurt the Dolphins is a lack of quality depth this season. Yes, we've won with scrubs...but this would be such a better team if we had quality backups at OL, S and LB. Quality depth is built through the draft. If you trade away all your picks, you're left picking through the undrafted FA pile. If you're close to being a SUper Bowl team, targeting a specific player or two makes more sense. But IMHO the Dolphins are very far from being in that position.

You wrote off Ajai and Lippett. Be careful on Caroo. All I'm saying is I'll take Rueben Foster and the best center/guard in the draft and be done. BTW, Caroo was 3rd round pick. I don't trade up in the 3rd on down.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:11 am

Birdmond wrote:

You wrote off Ajai and Lippett.  Be careful on Caroo.  All I'm saying is I'll take Rueben Foster and the best center/guard in the draft and be done.  BTW,  Caroo was 3rd round pick.  I don't trade up in the 3rd on down.  

Yep, I did write off Ajayi - and he's turned out to be very good for where he was picked. I do think he's very overrated by Dolfans, but at least he's a keeper.

Lippett is serviceable, but I don't think he's very good overall. He can't cover fast receivers on go routes, slants or comeback routes at all. If he has to cover Antonio Brown tomorrow, you'll see exactly what I mean. I'd like Lippett more as a dime-back than I do as an every-down starter.

Carroo can't play special teams and will never see the field as long as Landry, Parker and Stills are healthy - he has a very limited skillset and doesn't offer anything special. Good hands, but slow and a poor route runner. At best, he's a role player - but inability to play STs means that he's not going to play unless he miraculously becomes a starter.

Back to the point...Rueben Foster is a player I would consider trading up for, if the price is right. I think he's a special player. But no way I'm trading up for OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Miami can't afford to trade up for anyone. IMO, Miami needs all the picks they can get. Trading down and getting more picks or even trading away their first round to get an extra 2nd, 3rd and 5th round picks then I would go for that. Sometimes having a low pick might make it hard for Tannebaum to figure out what player he wants.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 am

Tannenbomb will trade away picks to move up 2-3 spots for picks that would have been there in the next round. I'm afraid he's going to Jetsison Miami.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Well Miami just moved up two picks without Tannebaum having to trade away any picks......lol

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 am

Every time I watch Clemson, LB Ben Boulware really impresses me.  He was excellent last night as well.  Looks like he's projected to go in the middle rounds...I've seen anywhere from 3-5 for him.  That would make him a major steal IMO.  He may not be the most athletic LB you'll ever see, and I'm not sure how he'd be in coverage, but he has some of the best instincts and ability to diagnose plays that I've seen in years.  He's also an excellent tackler and a team leader.  An absolute beast against the run, and he can get off blocks and get to the ball.  If we can't land Reuben Foster or Zach Cunningham, Boulware would be my MLB target.

And if we move to a 3-4, I want TJ Watt at OLB (Wisconsin) - JJ's brother.  I think he's only been a starter for one year, but damn he looks great.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:03 pm

JMP wrote:Lippett is serviceable, but I don't think he's very good overall. He can't cover fast receivers on go routes, slants or comeback routes at all. If he has to cover Antonio Brown tomorrow, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Dang! If being unable to cover the best WR in the NFL is your litmus test, you might want to get another litmus test. Shocked Very Happy

Watch how the Pats cover Brown. It will not be one guy who is responsible for the coverage or Brown gets a TD I can bet you.

Ajai is a downhill power runner and will be very good until injuries take a toll on him IMHO. He runs far to upright to last too long in the NFL I am thinking.

Drafting for DEPTH is how you justify picking Jamar Fletcher in the 1st round when you have two very good CBs already!!! No

The Phins have a talent deficit to all the other playoff teams IMO. They need to improve the talent on the team and not worry about depth IMO.

They need a Pass rusher, a leader type big mean nasty LB, a shutdown CB, a safety, two big mean nasty Guards, etc.....

In fact, I doubt there is one position on the roster the Phins could not use MORE TALENT!! Okay, I will say WR until Stills leaves!

I do not have much confidence in Tannenbaum's drafting ability, but I am going to give Gase the benefit of the doubt. He does seem to know what is required. If he can just convey that to Tannebaum and Tannenbaum will listen......
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:37 pm

finfanatic wrote:
JMP wrote:Lippett is serviceable, but I don't think he's very good overall. He can't cover fast receivers on go routes, slants or comeback routes at all. If he has to cover Antonio Brown tomorrow, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Dang!  If being unable to cover the best WR in the NFL is your litmus test, you might want to get another litmus test.  Shocked     Very Happy

Watch how the Pats cover Brown.  It will not be one guy who is responsible for the coverage or Brown gets a TD I can bet you.

Ajai is a downhill power runner and will be very good until injuries take a toll on him IMHO.  He runs far to upright to last too long in the NFL I am thinking.

Drafting for DEPTH is how you justify picking Jamar Fletcher in the 1st round when you have two very good CBs already!!!    No

The Phins have a talent deficit to all the other playoff teams IMO.  They need to improve the talent on the team and not worry about depth IMO.

They need a Pass rusher, a leader type big mean nasty LB, a shutdown CB, a safety, two big mean nasty Guards, etc.....

In fact, I doubt there is one position on the roster the Phins could not use MORE TALENT!!  Okay, I will say WR until Stills leaves!

I do not have much confidence in Tannenbaum's drafting ability, but I am going to give Gase the benefit of the doubt. He does seem to know what is required. If he can just convey that to Tannebaum and Tannenbaum will listen......

Maxwell was able to cover Brown in the first Steelers game, and Maxwell isn't very good.  But you're right - it shouldn't be one person's responsibility to cover a receiver like that.  The Dolphins tried to keep safeties back early on Sunday, but the safeties suck so it didn't matter.  As for Lippett, if a guy is running in a straight line, he can cover him.  But once the receiver cuts, comes back or slants - it's all over...Lippett is toast in those situations.

As for depth...it is built through the draft.  Everyone you draft can't be a day one starter...some of those guys have to begin their careers as back-ups and work their way up the depth chart.  Those are the players you develop that hopefully one day become legit starters.  Lack of quality depth at LB, safety and OL absolutely killed the Dolphins this season, and it's a big reason why we got blown out almost every time we faced a good team.  You cannot win in this league without quality depth...injuries happen, and if you can't compensate for them you're dead.  First couple of rounds, I'm looking for immediate starters and impact players if at all possible - no question.  But later in the draft, you build your depth.   Fireland's problem was that he drafted almost entirely for depth in every round...and the players he chose were barely third-string level, with zero chance of ever becoming legit backups let alone starters.  We're still feeling the impact of those horrible drafts today.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Just reading through this thread, I am totally in mourning over those trades last year. WTF would we trade up for Carroo, and sacrifice a 3rd and a 4th this year in the process? I don't care about the compensatory picks, in fact I want those ON TOP of a full bevy of all 7 round picks.

Can't build through the draft if we're handing away half our picks in the first four rounds, meaning we draft two potential starters then the rest of the draft turns out to be scrubs and long shots.

Tannenbaum and Grier need to step up their game big time. Many of the moves they made last offseason ultimately did not work out, and we got lucky Ajayi panned out to replace the loss of Miller.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

white1 wrote:Just reading through this thread, I am totally in mourning over those trades last year.  WTF would we trade up for Carroo, and sacrifice a 3rd and a 4th this year in the process? I don't care about the compensatory picks, in fact I want those ON TOP of a full bevy of all 7 round picks.  

Can't build through the draft if we're handing away half our picks in the first four rounds, meaning we draft two potential starters then the rest of the draft turns out to be scrubs and long shots.

Tannenbaum and Grier need to step up their game big time.  Many of the moves they made last offseason ultimately did not work out, and we got lucky Ajayi panned out to replace the loss of Miller.

Couldn't agree more. This whole "we need compensatory picks" theme that Tannenbaum lived by last season is stupid, because you're better off with your own, much higher, picks. And trading a 3rd and 4th for what would be at best a #4 receiver that's never going to play is just asinine. Regardless of what you think of Carroo, he wasn't going to play year one because of the players ahead of him - and if we re-sign Stills it will be the same situation again in year two. And the Carroo pick looks even worse when you factor in his zero special teams contributions. We essentially traded quality picks for a guy that sits on the bench and has little chance of getting off it barring major roster adjustments. I'm all for making a strong position stronger if you have that luxury...but look at this roster: did we really need a #4 receiver that urgently??? (And - you can argue that Carroo was actually the #6 receiver at year's end, with both Grant and Scott being active instead of him due to STs.) Draft picks are essentially diamonds in the NFL world; they are rare and valuable, and the more you have the better. Tannenbaum has shown throughout his career that he just doesn't understand that fact.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 pm

JMP wrote:Every time I watch Clemson, LB Ben Boulware really impresses me.  He was excellent last night as well.  Looks like he's projected to go in the middle rounds...I've seen anywhere from 3-5 for him.  That would make him a major steal IMO.  He may not be the most athletic LB you'll ever see, and I'm not sure how he'd be in coverage, but he has some of the best instincts and ability to diagnose plays that I've seen in years.  He's also an excellent tackler and a team leader.  An absolute beast against the run, and he can get off blocks and get to the ball.  

Did he remind anyone else of Zach Thomas, just a little? The way he was all over the field and his overall motor. Not the biggest guy either.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm

scotgif wrote:
JMP wrote:Every time I watch Clemson, LB Ben Boulware really impresses me.  He was excellent last night as well.  Looks like he's projected to go in the middle rounds...I've seen anywhere from 3-5 for him.  That would make him a major steal IMO.  He may not be the most athletic LB you'll ever see, and I'm not sure how he'd be in coverage, but he has some of the best instincts and ability to diagnose plays that I've seen in years.  He's also an excellent tackler and a team leader.  An absolute beast against the run, and he can get off blocks and get to the ball.  

Did he remind anyone else of Zach Thomas, just a little? The way he was all over the field and his overall motor. Not the biggest guy either.

That's exactly what I think every time I see Boulware. I hate to make the comparison, because everyone throws out Zach Thomas whenever a white LB is mentioned. But honestly, this is the first guy that really made me think of Zach - the toughness, the leadership, the instincts, the motor, the ability to read the play before the snap...all traits that Zach had and made him great. Zach was excellent in coverage, and I don't think Boulware is at this stage - but otherwise, there are a lot of similarities IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Agree that the Phins safety play has been abysmal. Rambo looks like he has never taken an angle on anyone with NFL speed before!! Geeze! he is TERRIBLE.

I am still at a loss to explain the whole Caroo thing?? It never made sense to me and I have YET to devine the intent?

Phins need a LB but I am don't know if Boulware is what they need. Reuben Foster on the other hand......

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama. Height: 6-1. ...
Zach Cunningham*, ILB, Vanderbilt. Height: 6-4. ...
Jarrad Davis*, ILB/OLB, Florida. Height: 6-2.

Or a Pass Rushing DE would be better I am thinking....

Myles Garret or Derek Barnett would fit in nicely. Even Walker...though, he is a Seminole. Ugghhh!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:48 pm

We have holes to fill. Lots of them. The defense was atrocious this year. The offense was off and on. Was totally impressed with Boulware last night but not sure if he is the next Zach Thomas. Lippett seems like he has decent cover skills but his tackling is that of a receiver. He doesn't have great instincts on open space tackles. We need to draft someone that isn't quite as big of a project. I will say Lippett has upside. This is his second year playing the position. Biggest areas of need are DE, LB, CB, and FS. We need a roamer at FS that can diagnose the deep ball. We need a DE that can get pressure on the QB. We need linebackers to do everything they couldn't do this year. Fill gaps, get off blocks, cover backs and TE.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down