Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-matt-burke-promoted-to-dolphins-defensive-coordinator-20170112-story.html

Burke said he wants his defense to be aggressive, but that he will tailor it to his personnel.

“We want to be an attacking defense, sort of what we started to try to build here this past season,” he said. “[We want to] be aggressive. I know it’s been said before, we want to tailor our schemes to fit our players. Every year you have new players, new strengths, new weaknesses, so we’re going to evaluate that and move forward."

If what we saw this season was an attempt to build an attacking defense, I'd say the coaches failed miserably. Look more like an attacked defense to me.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by rightchea on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 pm

This is either a really stupid idea. but I guess they didn't want the defense to change too much after just having Joseph around just for one year. IMO, with Miami's D being at the bottom of the ranking barrel you think you want to make some changes.

rightchea

Posts : 1170
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by CarsonChris on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:37 pm

It's the personnel and the injuries. Coaches can only do so much with the talent or lack of talent.

CarsonChris

Posts : 506
Join date : 2015-04-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:49 am

CarsonChris wrote:It's the personnel and the injuries. Coaches can only do so much with the talent or lack of talent.

The DL was healthy all season, and was stacked with stars, high draft picks and expensive free agents. Everyone thought this was a top DL before the season. The reality is, the DL sucked - and I cannot blame it all on the players.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by mercury22nathan on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:31 am

this is the scheme that Suh wants, so it is the scheme the Phins will run.

mercury22nathan

Posts : 451
Join date : 2015-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 am

mercury22nathan wrote:this is the scheme that Suh wants, so it is the scheme the Phins will run.

That's what happens when you have a young head coach that only cares about offense, and your most expensive player is a defensive tackle that has way too much power. There's still dysfunction on this team.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by Birdmond on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 am

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:this is the scheme that Suh wants, so it is the scheme the Phins will run.

That's what happens when you have a young head coach that only cares about offense, and your most expensive player is a defensive tackle that has way too much power. There's still dysfunction on this team.

Not buying that at all. Everyone in the organization has said Suh has been an exceptional leader this season. No evidence whatsoever of dysfunction.

Back to Burke; I have no idea if he'll be a good D.C. but based on what I've read I like him as a person so I'll be rooting for him.

Birdmond

Posts : 933
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 am

Suh a leader? That's just not in his make-up. Suh is all about Suh. Not saying there's a problem with that - some guys just aren't leaders. Just the way it is.

The dysfunction comes in when your overpaid defensive tackle is the main reason you run a particular defensive scheme. How about doing what's best for the team instead of catering to one specific player who has been part of a terrible defense in his only two seasons with the team? This was statistically the worst defense in the history of the franchise, but we're sticking with the scheme because of "continuity" and because Suh likes it...that, to me, is stupid.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by rightchea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:54 pm

I have to agree. You have to build around your whole defense and only focusing one specific players doesn't help to build a good team.

I also have to disagree because u build around your good players. U pay them the big bucks to do this type of thing. He might not seem like a leader but he might be a better mentor them we think.

rightchea

Posts : 1170
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JEGnj on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

JMP how could you say Suh is about Suh? I see him getting double teamed and held all game and he just goes about his business. I see many other defense players around the league making commercials and appearances. I think he can be MORE dominant but I think he is a leader on D.
avatar
JEGnj

Posts : 393
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 46

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 am

JEGnj wrote:JMP how could you say Suh is about Suh? I see him getting double teamed and held all game and he just goes about his business. I see many other defense players around the league making commercials and appearances. I think he can be MORE dominant but I think he is a leader on D.

Getting double-teamed doesn't make him a leader - it makes him a defensive tackle. Remember when he was "freelancing" and doing whatever he wanted regardless of the playcalls? Remember when he moved his locker away from the entire team? These are not signs of leadership. He's a great player - no question. But that doesn't make him a leader.

And how many defensive players do you see with commercials other than Clay Matthews and JJ Watt, who were both born to be on TV?

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by rightchea on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Yeah but almost every player was doing their own thing at the time. The unfortunate situation about that was the DC had no control of the team. When you get tired of lossing because the scheme doesn't work then you start doing your own thing

rightchea

Posts : 1170
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 pm

rightchea wrote:Yeah but almost every player was doing their own thing at the time. The unfortunate situation about that was the DC had no control of the team. When you get tired of lossing because the scheme doesn't work then you start doing your own thing

Regardless, that's not the sign of a team leader. That's just someone who does whatever he wants.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:24 pm

If you look really objectively at our defense, you'll find that we have nearly no quality on that unit. There are a few guys, and that's it. There are, in my estimation, 7-8 starting holes that need vast improvement.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1054
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by rightchea on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:20 pm

I wouldn't say it is that bad but Miami does need some better players defensively.

rightchea

Posts : 1170
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by Degarmo on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Here's my rationale. We have no starting-quality free safety, cornerbacks, or linebackers. That's 6 guys right there that need upgrading. Then you put in one or two defensive linemen, and you're up to 7 or 8.
avatar
Degarmo

Posts : 1054
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by white1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:34 am

Degarmo wrote:Here's my rationale. We have no starting-quality free safety, cornerbacks, or linebackers. That's 6 guys right there that need upgrading. Then you put in one or two defensive linemen, and you're up to 7 or 8.

I don't think you're too far off, but I disagree at a few spots:

- We have two starting boundary corners in Howard and Maxwell, with depth in Lippett. I know Howard is young and Maxwell was benched early, but both have played well and should only improve in the same scheme next season. Now, McCain at nickel may need an upgrade, so I concede we could use one corner.

- Alonso is a lock to start at LB next season, it's only a matter of where. Preferably, we will acquire a true MLB and kick him to weakside. We need two LBs, not three.

- We really need a starting DE. Branch is a free agent, so keeping him is a question, and it's likely the market will give him more than our value on him. Depth here is non existent. Need one starter, probably 3 more for depth.

- Defensive tackle next to Suh is interesting. I wonder if the team will "give up" on Phillips. Since he's cheap, and has shown playmaking ability, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we focus elsewhere (end, nickel, linebacker) and kind of "stand pat" at DT. My take, get a new starting DT and make Phillips fight to earn a spot.

So with FS, two LBs, one DE we definitely need four starters. Add DT that's five. Give me five solid starters (and by solid I mean above average), and add them to Suh, Wake, Alonso, Jones, Howard and Maxwell - plus the depth to survive injuries - we would have a very solid defense. Much better than this season.

white1

Posts : 1149
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 am

white1 wrote:
-  We have two starting boundary corners in Howard and Maxwell, with depth in Lippett.  I know Howard is young and Maxwell was benched early, but both have played well and should only improve in the same scheme next season.  Now, McCain at nickel may need an upgrade, so I concede we could use one corner.

- Alonso is a lock to start at LB next season, it's only a matter of where.  Preferably, we will acquire a true MLB and kick him to weakside. We need two LBs, not three.

- We really need a starting DE.  Branch is a free agent, so keeping him is a question, and it's likely the market will give him more than our value on him.  Depth here is non existent.  Need one starter, probably 3 more for depth.

- Defensive tackle next to Suh is interesting.  I wonder if the team will "give up" on Phillips.  Since he's cheap, and has shown playmaking ability, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we focus elsewhere (end, nickel, linebacker) and kind of "stand pat" at DT.  My take, get a new starting DT and make Phillips fight to earn a spot.

So with FS, two LBs, one DE we definitely need four starters.  Add DT that's five.  Give me five solid starters (and by solid I mean above average), and add them to Suh, Wake, Alonso, Jones, Howard and Maxwell - plus the depth to survive injuries - we would have a very solid defense.  Much better than this season.

My thoughts:

- CB: Howard is locked in as one starter. I think Maxwell gets cut, and Lippett should be a dime-back. That leaves us needing a second starting boundary corner and a nickel to at least compete with McCain if not take the job.
- S: Whether or not IAQ keeps his starting job, and I think he will, the depth at this position is non-existent.
- LB: I would literally dump this entire unit and start over. Maybe you keep guys like Paysinger, Hewitt and/or Hull for depth, but I'd let Alonso walk and bring in 3 new starters. Currently, this is literally the worst LB corps in the NFL and major changes need to be made. I'm sure Alosno will stay, but he'd be the first guy I dump - so tired of seeing him get blocked out of the play, take a bad angle, and/or miss a tackle.
- DE: Need a couple of additions here. I'd let Branch walk.
- DT: Keep Suh and Phillips, bring in a Soliai-type to start next to Suh.

So that's at least 6 starters as I see it...plus tons of depth. A tall order for one offseason.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by rightchea on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:44 am

I don't know if I keep McCain. He is too iffy when he is in coverage. Getting a solid cheap player might be better than keeping him.

rightchea

Posts : 1170
Join date : 2015-04-28
Age : 31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by white1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am

JMP wrote:So that's at least 6 starters as I see it...plus tons of depth. A tall order for one offseason.

Yeah, that's kind of the upshot. Given the number of starters needed, makes me think the team will lean towards retaining those "on the bubble" players even if the front office doesn't love them.

Keeping Alonso becomes a no-brainer when there is a snowball's chance in hell we can get three new starting linebackers and field a good unit at that position. Two will still be a tall order. You can live with Alonso at WLB, and we only need to make a one year commitment there.

Omar reported today he's looked at the FA defensive end crop, and it's really weak. Kind of like last year, which I believe led to Olivier Vernon getting the mega-deal he got. Looks like a draft position to me, big time. With that said, if the Giants don't retain JPP I'd be all over him. Even with one hand, he's a playmaker and a beast.




white1

Posts : 1149
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 pm

white1 wrote:
JMP wrote:So that's at least 6 starters as I see it...plus tons of depth. A tall order for one offseason.

Yeah, that's kind of the upshot.  Given the number of starters needed, makes me think the team will lean towards retaining those "on the bubble" players even if the front office doesn't love them.  

Keeping Alonso becomes a no-brainer when there is a snowball's chance in hell we can get three new starting linebackers and field a good unit at that position.  Two will still be a tall order.  You can live with Alonso at WLB, and we only need to make a one year commitment there.

Omar reported today he's looked at the FA defensive end crop, and it's really weak.  Kind of like last year, which I believe led to Olivier Vernon getting the mega-deal he got.  Looks like a draft position to me, big time.  With that said, if the Giants don't retain JPP I'd be all over him.  Even with one hand, he's a playmaker and a beast.


The cheaper, bottom-of-the-roster players are easy to replace. It means a lot of roster turnover, but I think that's going to happen anyway.

At LB, I'd rather start Hewitt for a year if we have to than bring Alonso back. The more I watch him, the more I think Alonso is just not good. That said, I do think the coaches love him so I expect him to be back.

I'd be fine with adding JPP, but at what cost? He may get more $$$ than Vernon got last season.

JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by white1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I'd be fine with adding JPP, but at what cost? He may get more $$$ than Vernon got last season.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think the hand injury suppresses his value a bit. Would love to take advantage of that perspective, as I think he's still a beast. It's rumored even the Giants are waffling on their long term commitment, which I think is a mistake. He'll only learn to play with the hand better over time.


white1

Posts : 1149
Join date : 2015-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by JMP on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

white1 wrote:
I'd be fine with adding JPP, but at what cost? He may get more $$$ than Vernon got last season.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I think the hand injury suppresses his value a bit.  Would love to take advantage of that perspective, as I think he's still a beast. It's rumored even the Giants are waffling on their long term commitment, which I think is a mistake.  He'll only learn to play with the hand better over time.


I'm definitely with you, and the idea of JPP opposite Wake is scary good. I just wonder how high the $$$ gets given the premium placed on pass rushers.


JMP
Admin

Posts : 3221
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 45

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt Burke officially promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum