The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falcons Team Building: Blueprint

5 posters

Go down

Falcons Team Building: Blueprint Empty Falcons Team Building: Blueprint

Post by white1 Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:57 am

Great read. Check out this article and see if you can pick out some of the moves the Falcons have made, and how their blueprint may apply to the Dolphins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776704/article/falcons-provide-lesson-in-team-building-aaron-rodgers-magic

Let me be clear: I'm not slighting Ryan's game, but the Falcons' QB1 wasn't viewed as a top-five quarterback in most circles -- and some observers would've scoffed at the notion of touting him as even a top-10 guy following his disappointing 2015 campaign.

"I would've considered him a borderline top-10 [quarterback] prior to the season," an AFC senior personnel executive told me. "I think a lot of us [scouts] thought that he was good, but not necessarily a great quarterback. He has certainly taken his game up a notch this year, though."

How many times have we heard this exact thing about Tannehill? He's not even considered borderline top-10, but has much less experience than Ryan and also has had to learn multiple offenses under multiple coordinators to this point in his career.

While it's easy to fall into the trap of strictly thinking about pass catchers when citing a quarterback's supporting cast, the Falcons have added dynamic running backs capable of enhancing the passing game while also anchoring the ground attack. In drafting Devonta Freeman (2014 fourth-rounder) and Tevin Coleman (2015 third-rounder)

Well, this is interesting. Not only did we beef up the receiving corps with Stills, Landry and Parker, we also have two good backs in Ajayi and Drake. Definitely a parallel here.

Last, but certainly not least, it is necessary to spotlight the improvements along the offensive line. The Falcons beefed up the interior through a trade (left guard Andy Levitre) and two free-agent signings (center Alex Mack and right guard Chris Chester). The trio has not only fortified the team's pass protection in the middle, but it has given Atlanta the much-needed toughness to commit to the running game when needed. Looking at the individual and collective talents of the trio, it's clear the Falcons added scrappy blockers with the strength and power to move bodies off the ball.

Yet another reason I would expect Miami to invest even more on the offensive line. Even if it's just two guards, and we keep Albert or kick Tunsil over to left tackle. Pouncey with two excellent guards would provide an extremely physical interior with real power to create a running game - even against physical defenses.

"I think the idea of allowing this football team and this defense specifically to play fast, to eliminate some of the sort of over-analyzing and let these players be the athletes they can be, is going to be very important for us," Dimitroff said two years ago.

Remember, players entering the league these days are coming in younger (more early entries) with limited experience and exposure to the techniques used in the NFL. Thus, coaches are tasked with cobbling together a good defense using many players who lack great football IQ, awareness and technical skills.

A simple scheme that asks players to play fast? Now this is getting creepy! Who else is doing this?

Long story short: Teams around the NFL should look at Atlanta's return to prominence as the ideal example of how careful roster construction can help a good quarterback become an MVP-caliber field general hunting a championship ring.

I saw so many parallels with our team, this could be exactly the blueprint needed to get us to the next level. It might take more than one offseason, especially if building the defense through the draft becomes our plan. But it could definitely work.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Falcons Team Building: Blueprint Empty Re: Falcons Team Building: Blueprint

Post by JMP Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:25 am

I don't believe in following another team's "blueprint". That idea completely ignores the intangibles of individual coaches and players, as well as the team dynamic (players with players, coaches with coaches, and players with coaches) - which is unique to every team.

Look at the last 5 Super Bowl champs: Giants, Ravens, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos. I don't know that you can say all those teams followed the same blueprint - they were all built very differently, as I see it. If anything, the one thing they had in common was they all drafted well and most of their key players were drafted.

Put together a solid coaching staff, get a great QB, add players that buy in to the coaches' philosophies, and put together some kick-ass drafts - that's the only "formula" I can think of that all winning teams follow.

Other than that, I'd say the best thing for us is to be the Miami Dolphins - not Falcons South.

And, I'll just add that Matt Ryan gets a raw deal. Six consecutive 4,100 yard+ seasons (including 4,500+ the last 5 years), a career QBR of 93.6, a career TD-INT ratio of better than 2:1, just two losing seasons in 9 years...this guy is pretty damn great, just outside the "elite" category IMO. Tannehill simply isn't at his level...nowhere near it, IMHO.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:01 pm

That not just the Falcons blueprint, the Cowboys kinda did it as well. They beefed up the OL, got themselves a RB and now they have a QB that went in the 4th or 5th round. IMO, if Dak had the experience like Romo then they would be in the NFC championship round right now and also their DB messed them up as well.

IMO, beefing up the OL will make an average QB look good as long has he can get the ball to his WR. Miami has to find some OL that can stay healthy and make the right blocks.

JMP wrote:Look at the last 5 Super Bowl champs: Giants, Ravens, Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos. I don't know that you can say all those teams followed the same blueprint - they were all built very differently, as I see it. If anything, the one thing they had in common was they all drafted well and most of their key players were drafted.

They had a beefed up defense but look where they are now, Raven and Broncos didn't make the playoffs, Giants and Seahawks had a hard time throughout the season and the Patriots have a great coach and most likely paying off the refs. The best thing that Miami can do is find something that works for them, get players that can make right plays and stay healthy. If the OL stayed healthy the whole time, that Pitts game would have been closer.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Let the record show that I, 316, wanted the Fins to draft Ryan in '08.

Come to think of it I also wanted them to draft Rodgers in '05.

Just sayin' Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:28 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Let the record show that I, 316, wanted the Fins to draft Ryan in '08.

Come to think of it I also wanted them to draft Rodgers in '05.

Just sayin' Cool

I was on the "Long over Ryan" bandwagon, and that's probably the most wrong I've ever been in the draft. It was a colossal mistake by the Phins, and set the franchise back for years IMO. Dion Jordan may be the worst Dolphin pick ever, but taking Long over Ryan may be one of the worst decisions the team ever made. And that's not a knock on Long - he was an outstanding player for a few years. But you have to take the stud QB when he's there...I know that now.

I wanted Rodgers too...loved watching him whenever I got see a Cal game back then. Although I did like Ronnie Brown too...and he gave us some great moments in the wildcat season.

BTW - I'm pretty much convinced that Aaron Rodgers is somehow connected to the aliens that made the pyramids (among other things)...there's no way that guy is human. My favorite NFL player, and it's not even close.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:11 am

No matter how we look at the situation Matt Ryan is better off in Atlanta. Miami doesn't have the OL to keep him up right and until they find someone that can stay healthy then he would have been in really bad shape. Yeah He is a good QB but for years he was having a hard time. Another reason that he doing so well is because of the coaching that they have now. During the time Miami coaching staff was horrible would have ruin his career.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 am

I think we've found a good young coach with a high ceiling.

Looks like we've found an identity as a running team too, and Tunsil was a good start to beefing up this line. There's more work to do.

The one thing I hated about this year was Tannehill's injury, because it would have done him some good to get that experience of playing in the playoffs, even in an ass whipping.

And yes, those who wanted Ryan in 2008 were absolutely right. Flacco would have been a fine pick as well. There was a big dropoff to Henne, and it certainly didn't help that the Sparano staff stuck with the wildcat long past the point of diminishing returns. And wasted a premium draft pick on the wildcat in 2009 with Pat White.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm

rightchea wrote:No matter how we look at the situation Matt Ryan is better off in Atlanta. Miami doesn't have the OL to keep him up right and until they find someone that can stay healthy then he would have been in really bad shape. Yeah He is a good QB but for years he was having a hard time. Another reason that he doing so well is because of the coaching that they have now. During the time Miami coaching staff was horrible would have ruin his career.

None of that matters - we really have no idea how Matt Ryan would have done in Miami. But the bottom line is, you MUST take the QB when he's there. Who's to say that a great QB wouldn't have made the coaching staff and the other players better? Great QBs can hide a lot of problem areas.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm

HalCHorn wrote:

The one thing I hated about this year was Tannehill's injury, because it would have done him some good to get that experience of playing in the playoffs, even in an ass whipping.  

Definitely. That would have been huge for Tannehill's development.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Well, whatever the Falcons did in the offseason it worked big time since they're now in the Super Bowl. I knew Ryan's greatness could only be held down by incompetence for so long Very Happy

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:44 pm

I hoping that they kill the Patriots. I so sick of them going to the Superbowl every year. It like the NFL wants them to go

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down