Optimum Scouting (Eric Galko)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Optimum Scouting (Eric Galko)

Post by Birdmond on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 am

Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting and Sports Illustrated is reporting the Dolphins are heavily investigating Linebackers and RUNNING BACKS. First off, I like Galko and I think he's not just looking for click bait. So this has to mean Ajai or Drake is on the trade block? My first thought was BS but then I got thinking about Ajai's Knee. What if Miami has already decided there's no way they're giving Ajai a second contract ? What if a team has already made a strong offer of a draft pick or player?

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Optimum Scouting (Eric Galko)

Post by JMP on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:13 am

Very interesting. There were reports that the Phins were tyrying to trade Ajayi early last season, before he became the starter. One thing is for sure: his value will never be higher if they do want to trade him.

This could also mean that they are looking to replace Damien Willliams.

JMP
Admin

View user profile http://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:57 pm

To be honest, we should be looking for running backs.  We're thin there in talent.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 am

Degarmo wrote:To be honest, we should be looking for running backs.  We're thin there in talent.

I'll be the first to say I absolutely love Kenyon Drake. I think he could be a bigger version of Marcus Allen. Yep I said it.

What I find interesting is I've read that Miami is interested in Foreman from Texas. He's at least a second round pick. Seems odd to me unless my shopping Ajai theory is correct.

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:47 am

I was very "meh" about Drake when he was drafted, but he definitely showed some good stuff as a rookie. Definitely has playmaking ability. Once he learns how to block, he'll be tough to keep off the field.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:49 am

This would not only be a shocker, but could be an awesome move if we net a high pick for Ajayi.

I am totally fine with Drake - Williams and we add someone else either through the draft and FA.

An improved offensive line is the key to our running game, not whoever is carrying the ball, so I am totally aligned with this kind of thought.

In any case, very interesting rumor and theory.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31 pm

white1 wrote:This would not only be a shocker, but could be an awesome move if we net a high pick for Ajayi.

I am totally fine with Drake - Williams and we add someone else either through the draft and FA.

An improved offensive line is the key to our running game, not whoever is carrying the ball, so I am totally aligned with this kind of thought.

In any case, very interesting rumor and theory.

I don't know if it's true or not but to me it makes sense. You just can't give him a second contract so why not get the most you'll ever get for him?

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Not only that, but to extend the thought further I am sure Gase would prefer a Forte-type back who can catch just as well as he runs. Drake fits that model much more than Ajayi does - who is a pure beast who thrives on making yards after contact but is limited as a route runner and pass catcher.

This only adds fuel to the fire to this rumor. Credit Gase for adapting early in the season to the loss of Foster, and going to more of a purist power running attack. I believe he'd much prefer his tried and true model, if he has the right personnel I am sure he will go that way.

white1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:25 pm

white1 wrote:Not only that, but to extend the thought further I am sure Gase would prefer a Forte-type back who can catch just as well as he runs.  Drake fits that model much more than Ajayi does - who is a pure beast who thrives on making yards after contact but is limited as a route runner and pass catcher.

This only adds fuel to the fire to this rumor.  Credit Gase for adapting early in the season to the loss of Foster, and going to more of a purist power running attack.  I believe he'd much prefer his tried and true model, if he has the right personnel I am sure he will go that way.

Good points. We also have to remember that Gase is a pass-first coach. He totally went against type after the slow start when he took control away from Tannehill and went to a power running game. Ideally he wants a QB-run offense that wins with the passing game and sprinkles in runs only as needed. A short passing game with backs and TEs is his running game. At least that's what I got from his time in Denver and Chicago...and that certainly fits Drake more than Ajayi.

Trading Ajayi would be a HUGE power move by the Phins. I'm all for it - backs are easy enough to find these days. But, I doubt it will happen.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

One other consideration: Ajayi was a Dolphin before Gase came on board, while Drake was drafted in round 3 under Gase. In other words, Gase has a lot invested in Drake, but he has no ties to Ajayi. Again, I don't see Ajayi being traded, but there are certainly reasons to make it plausible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm

I like Drake as well, but I was thinking more along the lines of having only three guys in the backfield. Feels like we need more there when the inevitable injury happens.
Degarmo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 pm

I have to agree with JMP, Ajayi is hard to take down and players are talking about around the league.

rightchea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Do 5th round picks only sign 3 year deals?

Birdmond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Foreman probably won't go before the third IMO. He would make sense though, if we are going to continue developing the power running approach that got the ball rolling in 2016.

With seven picks, I'm still hoping for a trade down from 22. While I'm not much on taking a guard that early, WKU's Forrest Lamp looks like about as sure a bet as you can find to start on the O-line for a decade barring injury.

HalCHorn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top