The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins looking to extend Alonso

+4
DolFan 316
white1
JEGnj
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Phins looking to extend Alonso Empty Phins looking to extend Alonso

Post by JMP Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/03/02/miami-dolphins-kiko-alonso-work-on-deal-as-club-values-versatility-community-impact/

The Miami Dolphins are ready to work with linebacker Kiko Alonso on a long-term contract, according to general manager Chris Grier.

There are many reasons Miami wants to lock up Alonso.

He’s fast. He’s aggressive. He’s instinctive.

And they desperately need more linebackers like that.

On Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine, Grier brought up two factors that perhaps don’t receive as much attention.

Miami loves Alonso’s versatility. And they love the positive impact he has on the large Hispanic community in South Florida.

No Man, this team just loves to reward injury-prone players. It would be much smarter to sign Alonso to a one-year tender and see how he does in 2017. The guy gets hurt all the time and he sucked for most of the 2016 season, aside from 2 or 3 big plays. IMO it's foolish to give him a long-term deal with guaranteed money at this stage. Hell, we don't even know what position he'll be playing moving forward. It's great that he can play multiple positions and is good in the community. But the Dolphins need to focus on winning games. Alonso was more part of the problem than the solution on our garbage defense, and locking him up long-term right now simply makes no sense to me.

I'm sure we'll keep Misi too, after hearing Grier say yesterday that he's in the Phins' plans. Hell, why not bring Jenkins back while we're at it? Keep things status quo and see if we can break last season's yards-allowed record and see how many more injuries we can get. We'll end up in the same exact position as 2016...with low-level backups starting at the LB spots again after these clowns get hurt. Man, this team is depressing. Sad

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins looking to extend Alonso Empty Re: Phins looking to extend Alonso

Post by JEGnj Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:26 pm

At least Alonso is a player. He seems to give 100% and is on the ball every play.

Misi should be gone.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

JEGnj wrote:At least Alonso is a player. He seems to give 100% and is on the ball every play.

He definitely gives 100% - non-stop motor. But he gets to the ball way too late - he gets easily blocked, and then trails the play and most of his tackles take place 5+ yards from the line of scrimmage. He can't shed blocks, takes terrible angles, gets beat immediately in coverage, and is completely ineffective on blitzes. To me, he's just a high energy player that's not very good. He'll make a play every so often, but most of the time he's a non-factor. And - he's always injured.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Clearly Alonso isn't going anywhere and I'm fine with it. Too many holes to dump players who aren't perfect - sometimes good is good enough.

Misi is a mystery - the dude is too injury prone and he's expensive. No idea what Grier is thiniing there unless he's hoping a rookie they draft takes his job.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:28 pm

I find this time of year so annoying (from an NFL standpoint). Everybody thinks they have to say the opposite of what they really mean because "smokescreen" even though everybody else knows it's a smokescreen because they're all doing the same thing and then during the draft teams select at positions they need just like all of us knew they would the whole time. The whole process makes dating look sane.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Alonzo doesn't have guns, he has pipe cleaners.

Phins looking to extend Alonso 636181834784787697-AP-16359660685144

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Alonzo doesn't have guns, he has pipe cleaners.

Seriously! He's got to be the smallest MLB I've ever seen...almost a Pat White body type with a little more definition. Zach Thomas always gets called "small", but he was built like a brick shithouse. All you have to do is look at Alonso to see why he's so easy to block. That's why he's better off at WLB where he won't have to deal with so much traffic...but his poor angles and coverage skills would still be a problem.

I really don't want him on the Phins, but he's obviously going to be here for awhile so let's at least hope he gets to play WLB this season...at least until he gets sidelined with his next injury.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 pm

IMO, I think he would be at OLB than a MLB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 am

rightchea wrote:IMO, I think he would be at OLB than a MLB

Yeah, he's just not a MLB. It's a huge mistake if the Phins keep him there. He's really a weakside OLB only...way too small and weak to play strong or middle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 am

He's safety sized.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Degarmo wrote:He's safety sized.

Maybe even corner sized these days.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:He's safety sized.

Maybe even corner sized these days.

Seriously. A MLB in a 4-3 needs to be a tackling machine and a guy that can fill the gap and stop the play. Alonso is far too small for that. He's got great drive, but he's just too damn small.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:36 pm

He better start eating his red meat and drinking his protein shacks while working out to get bigger.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 am

rightchea wrote:He better start eating his red meat and drinking his protein shacks while working out to get bigger.

I don't think he has the body type to get much bigger. Just put him at WLB if you're going to extend him...forget about MLB, because he's just not cut out for that position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 am

JMP wrote:
rightchea wrote:He better start eating his red meat and drinking his protein shacks while working out to get bigger.

I don't think he has the body type to get much bigger.  Just put him at WLB if you're going to extend him...forget about MLB, because he's just not cut out for that position.  

I agree. He wants to play MLB, apparently, but he'd be more effective at WLB IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 am

JMP wrote:He definitely gives 100% - non-stop motor.  But he gets to the ball way too late - he gets easily blocked, and then trails the play and most of his tackles take place 5+ yards from the line of scrimmage.  He can't shed blocks, takes terrible angles, gets beat immediately in coverage, and is completely ineffective on blitzes.  To me, he's just a high energy player that's not very good.  He'll make a play every so often, but most of the time he's a non-factor.  And - he's always injured.

wait, are you talking about Alonso or Misi? oh yea, that description fits both of them to a tee.

And they love the positive impact he has on the large Hispanic community in South Florida.

so is this about putting the best talent on the field - or is this just Ross worrying about selling tickets to the sizable Latino population in Miami?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:He definitely gives 100% - non-stop motor.  But he gets to the ball way too late - he gets easily blocked, and then trails the play and most of his tackles take place 5+ yards from the line of scrimmage.  He can't shed blocks, takes terrible angles, gets beat immediately in coverage, and is completely ineffective on blitzes.  To me, he's just a high energy player that's not very good.  He'll make a play every so often, but most of the time he's a non-factor.  And - he's always injured.

wait, are you talking about Alonso or Misi?  oh yea, that description fits both of them to a tee.

And they love the positive impact he has on the large Hispanic community in South Florida.

so is this about putting the best talent on the field - or is this just Ross worrying about selling tickets to the sizable Latino population in Miami?

Ha! Yes, I think Alonso and Misi are very similar...good guys with high energy, but mediocre at best.

And the Latino connection with Alonso is nice for Miami and all, but that shouldn't be a factor in building the team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down