The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO 19-0 FOR YOU, PATS!!! HA!!!

3 posters

Go down

NO 19-0 FOR YOU, PATS!!! HA!!! Empty NO 19-0 FOR YOU, PATS!!! HA!!!

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 am

Just found out they lost, kinda surprised nobody else said anything.

About time something happened to make life worth living.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

NO 19-0 FOR YOU, PATS!!! HA!!! Empty Re: NO 19-0 FOR YOU, PATS!!! HA!!!

Post by JMP Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 am

The game ended pretty late, so I decided to go to bed instead of going online. It was an action-packed game. Awesome to see the Pats lose!

I didn't think Brady would miss Edelman as much as he did. He'll get better as he gets used to Cooks and Dorsett, but losing Edelman really changes that offense. Gillislee is a beast...still can't believe the Phins never gave him a chance. The Pats' D really has no pass rush, and they fell apart after Hightower left the game. Still, they have a lot of talent and they'll figure it out.

Very impressive game by the Chiefs, even with the ridiculous number of penalties. A few 90+ yard drives and tons of big plays. Kareem Hunt is the real deal...guy looks incredible. And he might be a better receiver than David Johnson, which is saying a lot. Alex Smith played out of his mind - a nearly perfect game. Justin Houston is still a beast, and Eric Berry shut down Gronk...although it looks like Berry will be heading to IR. Tyreek Hill is a special player...electric with the ball in his hands.

Great way to open the 2017 season!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:10 am

JMP wrote:Gillislee is a beast...still can't believe the Phins never gave him a chance.

You've got to remember, Gillislee was drafted by the Fins during the "Death Before Playing Rookies" Philbin era. Only 6 carries his rookie season on a non-playoff team, which was 6 more than he got in year two Shocked

Then the Fins let him go, the Cards sign him to their practice squad, and THEY let him go during the '15 season. The Bills sign Gillislee to their practice squad in one of those roster churn moves GMs make out of sheer boredom or to convince people they're actually doing stuff during the season, and he languishes there for a month before FINALLY seeing regular game action.

And then, after averaging 5.7 yards a carry for the Bills as a backup, they just let the Pats sign him away in RFA. Un fucking believable....

I'm thinking the way the Pats' luck goes, there's now at least a 90% chance Brees is injured on Sunday. I'm not making the mistake of thinking they're finished, not after what happened the last time the Chiefs thrashed them. Besides, they could still win the division at 8-8, maybe even 7-9.

But it really does seem like the end is at least in sight now, and it also seems from their offseason that Belichick knows this.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:14 am

Here's something rather interesting I found out from someone today. In the first 3 rounds of the four drafts before this year, the Pats currently have a grand total of...two starters out of 13 picks. That's borderline Fins territory Shocked And their draft this year was an afterthought.

http://pfref.com/tiny/WNEHL

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Here's something rather interesting I found out from someone today. In the first 3 rounds of the four drafts before this year, the Pats currently have a grand total of...two starters out of 13 picks (Thuney and Ryan). That's borderline Fins territory Shocked And their draft this year was an afterthought.

http://pfref.com/tiny/WNEHL

It's not quite as bad as you think, but yeah, they haven't exactly been a draft powerhouse of late. They did have some quality drafts from 2009-2012.

Their 2015 draft was very good - with Malcolm Brown, Trey Flowers and Shaq Mason. They are all starters, and all very good players (borderline-great in Flowers' case). Brown was drafted in round 1, and Flowers and Mason in round 4.

2014 they got Jimmy Garoppolo in round 2, who I think is a future star and may replace Brady as soon as next season. They also got James White in round 4.

In 2013 they got two high-quality starters - Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan. But both are on other teams now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 am

[quote="JMP"]
DolFan 316 wrote:2014 they got Jimmy Garoppolo in round 2, who I think is a future star and may replace Brady as soon as next season.  They also got James White in round 4.

This is also Garoppolo's fourth season. Unless he signed a 5th year extension I don't know about (are non-first round rookies even allowed to do that?) then he'll be a FA next year and I cannot imagine him staying with the Pats if Brady's still around. That would be at least five years as a backup when he'd be able to start right away and get paid mad money by at least half the teams in the league. Hell, Osweiler was in the exact same situation and bolted Denver even when everyone knew he'd be starting after Peyton retired. (The point here is not to illustrate how Osweiler's career has gone since then, but to point out that people have personal ambitions you cannot expect them to sublimate forever.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:2014 they got Jimmy Garoppolo in round 2, who I think is a future star and may replace Brady as soon as next season.  They also got James White in round 4.

This is also Garoppolo's fourth season. Unless he signed a 5th year extension I don't know about (are non-first round rookies even allowed to do that?) then he'll be a FA next year and I cannot imagine him staying with the Pats if Brady's still around. That would be at least five years as a backup when he'd be able to start right away and get paid mad money by at least half the teams in the league. Hell, Osweiler was in the exact same situation and bolted Denver even when everyone knew he'd be starting after Peyton retired. (The point here is not to illustrate how Osweiler's career has gone since then, but to point out that people have personal ambitions you cannot expect them to sublimate forever.)

Yep, Garoppolo is an unrestricted FA after this season and I fully expect him to seek a starting job. But you never know - he may be OK waiting till 2019 when the Pats can cut Brady with a more-reasonable cap hit. Hell, Brady could even retire after this season if he gets another ring or gets a serious injury. We'll see what happens - could get interesting.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 am

Brady didn't look very good, but the real problem was a God-awful effort by the defense. Injuries at DE really affecting that side of the ball.

Yeah, Gillisee is one more guy to blossom after Failbin wouldn't give him a chance here. It's really hard for me to decide whether Wanny, Philbin or Cameron was the worst hire. Sad when you have three hires like that within 12 years.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down