The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gase's replacement

+3
white1
JMP
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

Gase's replacement Empty Gase's replacement

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:02 am

the article starts out with a discussion of Josh McDaniels, but then provides a long list of "hot" NFL coach prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/HotRead-20181128/hottest-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-2018-2019-next-wave-coaches

anyone on this list spark your interest?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Gase's replacement Empty Re: Gase's replacement

Post by JMP Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:44 am

John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy are at the top of the list if they are available.  I also like Jack Del Rio's coaching style, and would be happy with him.

On the more inexperienced side, Dan Campbell would be a dark-horse candidate.  And Eric Bieniemy is going to be a great head coach some day...just not sure he's ready yet.

In college, Jim Harbaugh would be the #1 target.  And I love the idea of Kliff Kingsbury coming in and installing a true modern-day offense in Miami. Lincoln Riley is certainly intriguing as well.

And don't rule out Dolphins' STs coordinator Darren Rizzi.  IMO, he'll be a head coach somewhere next season.

BUT...

First things first: clean house and hire a football guy to run the show, and let him choose the next coach. And keep in mind that hiring Jim Harbaugh as head coach probably means giving him complete control of the franchise.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 am

On the more inexperienced side, Dan Campbell would be a dark-horse candidate. And Eric Bieniemy is going to be a great head coach some day...just not sure he's ready yet.

I'll take Dan Campbell back, tomorrow.

And don't rule out Dolphins' STs coordinator Darren Rizzi. IMO, he'll be a head coach somewhere next season.

I heard somewhere that ST coaches make excellent HC prospects, but I don't remember where. I would like this move.

In college, Jim Harbaugh would be the #1 target. And I love the idea of Kliff Kingsbury coming in and installing a true modern-day offense in Miami. Lincoln Riley is certainly intriguing as well.

Since Kingsbury was fired... any chance we can get Campbell or Rizzi as head coach, and make Kingsbury a highly paid OC? The advantage for him is he learns the NFL for a few years THEN becomes a head coach with league experience. Plus he needs to make connections to fill out his staff. As OC all he has to do is build an offense and call plays. Seems like this could be a win-win if he's thinking right about it.

First things first: clean house and hire a football guy to run the show, and let him choose the next coach. And keep in mind that hiring Jim Harbaugh as head coach probably means giving him complete control of the franchise.

Agree. I don't care who it is, either. As long as it's not Grier or Tannenbaum.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:13 am

Matt Eberflus, defensive coordinator, Indianapolis Colts. A first-time coordinator on one of the surprise teams in the league, Eberflus is a rising star who could get looks.

I found this interesting, because he just handed Gase his ass in the 4th quarter a few days ago...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 am

Miami needs someone hungry to win and not make excuses everytime miami loss a game. so to be honest as long a the coach is good he can be from Venus for all I care

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 pm

I second the Dan Campbell idea. Something about the guy.

Also, I'm all for Ross spending a billion on any coach named Harbaugh.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm seeing a lot of Twitter traffic today on Rizzi. He was a head coach in college. Talking about how he'd like an opportunity in the future, clearly wants to be a head coach again.

Hmmm...

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Rizzi has been doing an outstanding job on ST's, that's for sure.  And since Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka and John Harbaugh (among others) were all ST's coaches prior to becoming NFL head coaches, one doesn't necessarily have to have a background in offense or defense to be considered.

We could certainly do worse than promoting Rizzi, and IMO we have.  Consistently.  From Wanny on up to the present, in fact.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:28 pm

that be a good thing getting a ST coach since it would mean he has to find great OCand DC to support him.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:06 am

HalCHorn wrote:We could certainly do worse than promoting Rizzi, and IMO we have.  Consistently.  From Wanny on up to the present, in fact.

Agreed.

Gase has revealed some serious game day / game planning / play calling flaws, and his inability to handle "problem" players in any other manner than shipping them off for nothing is disturbing and is a severe impediment to his long term coaching IMHO.

But the main thing that I find so egregious in Gase, is his insistence on "My Offensive System uber alles!" His system comes first and if the QB executes his system to his satisfaction, that seems to be the yardstick by which he measures success. Not whether the team wins or loses, but how well HIS System was run!

This reveals a Head Coach who is at the least, so hidebound, so rigid, so unimaginative, that he will never be able to ADAPT IMO. At worst, it shows deep-seated psychoses!! The guy MIGHT be as nutty as a fruitcake. Anyone who can calmly ship off talented players without so much as a regret and still expect THE SYSTEM to excel has major problems in cognitive ability and/or mental problems IMO.

Gase has got to go. And let him take Tannehill with him.

Again...While the HC can make a huge difference as we have seen from Cam to Sparano to Philbin, the MAIN PROBLEM remains the Maimi Dolphins INABILITY to draft cheap, talented players to plug holes and provide quality depth. A lot of it has to do with the lack of player development, but the Phins continually get SNAKE EYES when they roll the dice on the draft. While you cannot expect to win on every roll, you also do not expect to STINK on every roll! Both are statistically improbable, yet the Phins KEEP getting jack-squat in the draft.

Fix the drafting problems and ANY HC (but not Gase!) will start looking MUCH BETTER IMO. How you fix the drafting problem, is the Super Bowl Winning Question?

As Hal pointed out, look at the HCs the Phins have fed into the grinder that is the Dolphins HCing gig.....and look at the GMs and Head of Football Operations, Execs, etc....that have been unable to fix the (drafting) problem.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:25 am

fixing the draft start with the GM. the GM puts together a scouting team that finds players that are the best fit at the best time. miami lacks the ability to find players that fits the scheme of the team who can start in day one. it feels like Miami isn't looking for that. they are looking for player who can do what they need done but don't always fit the scheme.

Also fitting the scheme doesnt mean that those players are good enough to play. as we seen before Gase and Tannenbaum are willing to move up to get players that most likely fit the bill but isn't good. we see this with all the players that either end up with the practice squad.

at the same time we can't just blame the scouting team but the poor evaluation skills the front office has as well. those diamond in the rough players such as Chris Hogan that is killing it with Patriots at the moment. It like the coaching staff doesnt have a clue how to use the good players they do get.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:55 am

finfanatic wrote:This reveals a Head Coach who is at the least, so hidebound, so rigid, so unimaginative, that he will never be able to ADAPT IMO.

funny that you mention this, cause i was just thinking about that when i read the following quote from Gase regarding the lack of targets for Stills this year...

“We just have to make sure we do a good job of when it’s there, we take it and when it’s not, we progress and move to something else. He’s been so effective for us down the field with big plays and teams are doing a good job of taking him away.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article222381075.html

first, there is that same old theme of allowing the opposition's defense to dictate his offense.

second, "teams are doing a good job of taking him away"??? whoa, wait a minute - isn't that the same excuse he gave for not being able to get the ball to Gesicki? so if defense are doing something extra to take away your primary deep threat WR and your receiving TE, then somebody's got to be open beyond those incessant 2-yard passes. oh and, if defenses can so easily remove your biggest passing threats, guess what - your offensive scheme sucks!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:07 am

"teams are doing a good job of taking him away"

Sounds good, Adam...except that there have been numerous video clips posted online showing Stills wide open downfield and being ignored by the QB.

BTW - Stills has started 10 games and has just 20 catches. I wonder if there's any other team in the NFL that has a 10-game starting WR averaging 2 catches a game. Major fail by Gase for not knowing how to get his top receiver involved. Yet another fireable offense to add to Gase's list.

And then there's this:

Armando Salguero
‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero

Kenny Stills: "I couldn't tell you exactly why I'm not getting more targets. I can tell you I'm getting open."

"There are other guys open on plays, too, that aren't getting hit."

"I can't throw the ball to myself."

So, yeah, players are not happy with this garbage offense...anyone surprised?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

if Gase is around next year he is gone...the Gase will be like "we are good with the players we have. they are improving every day and making plays on the practice field"

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down