The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miracle ball

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Miracle ball Empty Miracle ball

Post by mercury22nathan Tue 05 Feb 2019, 10:15 am

When Dolphins running back Kenyan Drake threw the football into the stands after his miraculous touchdown to beat New England, it was highly questionable if he would ever get the ball back.

Thanks to Dolphins president Tom Garfinkel and owner Stephen Ross, that prized possession is once again in the Dolphins’ hands.

Here’s the circuitous journey the ball took to end up back with the team:

After Drake scored to complete the 69-yard scoring play to beat the Patriots 34-33 on Dec. 9, Drake lofted the ball into the stands, and a Patriots fan caught it and then reportedly sold it on the spot to a New York Giants fan in the stands for $500.

Collectibles executive Brandon Steiner then obtained the ball and told The Palm Beach Post that it was authenticated through witness accounts and a video where the auction seller was seen with the ball.

Steiner Sports put the ball up for auction for 30 days and the winning bidder purchased it for $18,678.

According to a source, Garfinkel asked a friend to make that winning bid, and the friend obliged.

Ross paid for the friend’s bid. And on Drake’s 25th birthday (Jan. 26), Garfinkel informed Drake that the team had the ball back.

The ball will be displayed at Hard Rock Stadium.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article225482175.html

so let me get this straight. the Phins tossed $20K to display a memento from a failed 7-9 season after which they fired their coach? are they going to place the ball right between the '72 and '73 super bowl trophies? i hope one of the first things Flores does is tell the stadium staff to put the ball in a closet and replace it with a sign that reads: "You ain't won SHIT!!"

i mean yes, it was a very nice, exciting play, but in the grand scheme of things it was meaningless. let's ask Brady what he thinks about it.

During a post-game interview with ESPN, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady downplayed the Dolphins’ 34-33 victory over the Patriots on Dec. 9, a game won on a 69-yard touchdown as time expired.

“I don’t count the Miami game as a loss,” Brady said smiling. “So really had one loss after the bye [to Pittsburgh]. We kind of had a win [but] it’s in the loss column.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article225504025.html

i guess that little trophy ball kind of pales in comparison with the trophy Brady is now hoisting. clearly, the Miami Miracle had little to no impact on the Pats reaching their season goals.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Miracle ball Empty Re: Miracle ball

Post by JMP Tue 05 Feb 2019, 11:33 am

This is absolutely embarrassing. Embarassed

Hopefully Flores can change the culture of this organization from top to bottom and take Miami from a laughingstock to a champion.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue 05 Feb 2019, 12:48 pm

Yup they lost me at the end. If the story was Ross paid to get the ball back to present it to Drake as a keepsake for a great play in HIS and Fin's history I'm fine with that. Good story. BUT to get it back a display it a HRS like it is important is BS.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue 05 Feb 2019, 2:19 pm

It's so sad that our proudest moment in the last couple of decades is a once-in-a-lifetime fluke play in a season where we had a losing record and the team we had the miracle against won the Super Bowl. That pretty much sums up recent Miami Dolphins history: even when something good happens, it's meaningless.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue 05 Feb 2019, 4:07 pm

That pretty much sums up recent Miami Dolphins history: even when something good happens, it's meaningless.

Great way to put it. Look at that first, miraculous PLAYOFF SEASON under Gase in his first year. Yeah, we had the pleasure of watching our team get its ass thoroughly kicked in Pittsburgh, leaving no doubt how far from a contender we really were.

Talk about meaningless. Calling that a "playoff run" is an insult to any other team to ever make the playoffs, maybe save the "Wax in Jax" squad...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue 05 Feb 2019, 8:40 pm

When is the last time we could really feel good about a playoff team, even?

Gase's lone playoff team got waxed in Pittsburgh.

Sparano's lone playoff team got its ass kicked at home by Baltimore, as did Bumstedt's second playoff team. Wanny's first playoff team managed to win one thanks to a superhuman effort by Lamar Smith, then got obliterated in Oakland.

Jimmy's last two playoff teams did win a game apiece, but the two losses were by a combined 100-10. The loss in New England in 1997 was far more embarrassing than the 17-3 score indicated, and that team backed into the playoffs after losing 41-0 to a team that would have the first pick in the draft.

Been a loooooong time. I'd say 1994 at least.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed 06 Feb 2019, 11:18 am

why don't they just give it back to drake and inform him that he will have to pay it off my running 1000 yards this upcoming season

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:14 pm

rightchea wrote:why don't they just give it back to drake and inform him that he will have to pay it off my running 1000 yards this upcoming season

Now that's a great idea! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down