The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunsil, the best?

+5
Degarmo
finfanatic
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tunsil, the best? Empty Tunsil, the best?

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:18 am

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Tunsil, the best? Empty Re: Tunsil, the best?

Post by JMP Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am

He is super young, just 24, so I suppose that makes him one of the best young LTs in the game by default.

But for overall LTs, he's not even top 10 IMO. He's good - at times very good - but too inconsistent overall. Hopefully the new coaching staff, with a real OL coach, will get him to the next level.

Gotta admit, though...part of me is just waiting for him to fail a drug test...

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Tunsil's done pretty well for a Hugh Freeze-coached player from Ole Miss. Which means he's...average. If he's considered one of the league's best O-linemen, it only highlights the sad, sorry state of NFL O-lines today.

http://pfref.com/tiny/6yfl1

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:50 pm

When he TRIES...he is probably one of the best. But he takes too may plays off it looks like. Gets caught leaning way too much. And fails to get the leg kick that he needs for speedy rushers to keep them from getting around him. This seems to happen when he gets tired.

New coaching will definitely help. But...like JMP, I have a hard time thinking a guy who got taped smoking dope in a bongmask is gonna make it long term.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm

I don't care about the pot thing, that's been going on forever.

I do care about him taking plays off though. I would say he has the potential to be a great player, but it's all up to him now.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm

At power bong, yes. Power sweep, no! Hopefully the new coaching staff gets all of our line to perform at a higher caliber!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am

I will admit, I was highly critical of Tunsil early in his career.

He changed my mind last season. It looks to me like he is an ascending young LT, and may actually develop into the stud we hoped for when drafting him in the first round.

Best in the league? No. Top 10? Maybe? The fact he's in this conversation shows that he's getting some attention from analysts.

I do agree, having an actual offensive philosophy versus a series of disjointed plays will help a great deal. Also, we have a much more veteran coaching staff now than we did over Tunsil's first few seasons.

Does he want to be great? That will make all the difference. He either needs to decide to bring it every play, and polish his technique, or do the minimum in order to play well. He'll either be good to very good, or great, it's really up to him. He has the measurables and tools to succeed if he wants it.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:27 pm

white1 wrote:  

having an actual offensive philosophy versus a series of disjointed plays will help a great deal.  Also, we have a much more veteran coaching staff now than we did over Tunsil's first few seasons.

I don't think this can be stated strongly enough. We've had a non-stop flow of unqualified and incompetent coaches across the board for YEARS. That changed this offseason, and it will make a HUGE difference in how this team prepares and plays. Again, it may not lead directly to wins in year one, but we're heading in the right direction.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:07 pm

I too am really looking forward to an offensive identity that isn't offensive to watch. It feels like the Dolphins haven't really had any inkling of what they want to do on offense since they decided to do the wildcat for awhile.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Now he's a Texan!!!!!! I'll reserve my feelings until I see the total compensation
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Ho. Lee. SHIT.

First things first: We received a HUGE haul from Houston, which explains this move. This article on PFT says it's Tunsil, Stills (lol) to the Texans for TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS plus a 2nd round pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/31/dolphins-get-two-first-round-picks-and-a-second-round-pick-from-texans/

I don't know which draft (2020 or 2021). Plus, a couple of players from Houston (I think a lineman and special teams ace).

We have in effect punted two starting offensive players away in a year when we already have very little on that side of the ball. Pushing ever more draft capital into future years.

My take? The regime was in like - LIKE - not in love with Tunsil. My guess? He was very good in pass pro but not dominant in the running game, and that's not ideal in the eyes of Grier and Flores. New England is a deceptively physical team, and they like to run the ball more than people think. Look at one of Tom Brady's signature plays: his short yardage QB sneak. It's damn near automatic and you need power on the line to make that work.

Let's recall, we did get Tunsil #13 overall, and good to great OTs have been had anywhere in the 1st and 2nd rounds. It's eerily the reverse of the Parcells regime taking Jake Long over Matt Ryan. Valuing a LT over a QB. We just traded off a very good (trending towards great) LT for draft picks nearly straight up. But that's QB type compensation, and I think Houston overpaid to secure Tunsil.

I'd much rather have this than Clowney. Glad it worked out this way instead.

I was really thinking the Dolphins could surprise some teams this year, and win 5-7 games. Without Tunsil (Stills doesn't matter) that becomes a much harder prospect. Our entire O line does not have one solid anchor, it's a bunch of pieces and parts mashed together.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

Well I guess I have to add this because it's interesting to note. Tua is left handed, so LT is not his blind spot.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm

white1 wrote:I'd much rather have this than Clowney.  Glad it worked out this way instead.

The more I think about it, so am I cheers cheers cheers Somehow the Fins get two firsts, trade away a locker room cancer (and cancer to the nation as a whole) without getting fleeced for a one-year rental. If Tunsil had to be sacrificed then so be it I guess. This team wasn't winning squat this season with him anyway. Now they could conceivably get a QB *and* LT in the next draft.

Also, good luck dealing with Bob McNair, Stills Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil If you thought Ross was racist you'll be pulling your hair out now, MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:00 pm

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/08/texans-dolphins-finalizing-laremy-tunsil-trade

The full details of the picks changing hands are as follows, courtesy of Albert Breer of SI.com (Twitter link). Miami will get first-round picks in 2020 and 2021 from Houston, and a second-rounder in 2021. The Texans will get a 2020 fourth-rounder as well as a 2021 sixth-rounder back from the Dolphins.

Additionally, the Dolphins will receive two players from the Texans as well. Tackle Julie’n Davenport and special-teamer Johnson Bademosi will head to Miami, Rapoport tweets. Davenport, a 2017 fourth-round pick, started 15 games for the Texans last season.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Davenport starts for us. Better than the backups we have been playing this preseason.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Bademosi's a bad man on special teams as well, or at least used to be.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:08 pm

All I can say is...WOW!!!!

I did not see this coming. But after getting over my initial shock, I realize that the Phins absolutely FLEECED the Texans. How in the world did we get two firsts, a second AND two players for two guys that have a grand total of ZERO Pro Bowls between them??? Trading Tunsil leaves a gaping hole at LT but let's be honest: Dolphin fans greatly overrate him. I'd label him as a good, solid LT - but he's not elite. And the Texans gave up two firsts and a second for him. BTW, we were prepared to trade Stills to another team for a 5th if this trade didn't happen...so we robbed the Texans on that end too.

Our OL sucked with Tunsil...so what's the worst that can happen without him? We still suck??? Ummm...OK.

This is the Herschel Walker trade of modern-day football, and unless Grier fucks it up, we are now sitting in the driver's seat for a massive roster upgrade in the next two seasons.

Clearly, the Dolphins are all in on drafting a QB in 2020. One MAJOR thing to consider: if the Dolphins are as bad as everyone thinks they are and we end up with the #1 overall pick, we don't have to trade away any of our picks to move up. So essentially, we get the QB and still have another first, two seconds, probably two thirds, and two fourths to build this team. WOW!!!

Mark this date down, because it is one to remember: August 31, 2019 is the day the Dolphins took the first step toward becoming a serious contender. We may suffer this season, but this is a marathon and not a sprint - and we are now set up to do great things.

TANK FOR TUA BABY!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:30 pm

Jmp being happy about this makes me even happier than I already was Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:30 pm

If I were Ryan Fitzpatrick, I would announce my retirement tomorrow.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm

Degarmo wrote:If I were Ryan Fitzpatrick, I would announce my retirement tomorrow.

I agree, but if he was really going to retire the Fins wouldn't have cut Rudock.

He could still retire at halftime of one of the early games, though. The precedent has been set.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:33 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:If I were Ryan Fitzpatrick, I would announce my retirement tomorrow.

I agree, but if he was really going to retire the Fins wouldn't have cut Rudock.

He could still retire at halftime of one of the early games, though. The precedent has been set.

Fortunately, Fitz isn't that kind of person, but I'm serious. His age, this line, he's going to get hurt, and there's no reason for it. I'd just say, "Much like Miami Dolphins have called the 2019 season, I am calling it a career." Get some laughs, get out of Miami.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 pm

There's the money though. Most people would be set just from what he'll be making this season.

Maybe if he fakes being hurt more seriously than he really is and just "happens" to wind up on IR after 1-3 games...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:20 am

Grier is truly the anti-Wannspiel. Hell, even Parcells was getting pennies on the dollar for assets like Ginn and Satele.

I liked Davenport in the 2017 draft. He's a decent starter, and still has room to improve.

Just great news. This will be a painful year, much like the Cowboys had in 1989 when they traded Herschel Walker, but the future looks bright.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 am

Just for the record, I'm extremely happy with this trade.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:51 am

C'mon Grier.

This move puts even more of the future of the Phins on Grier. I mean...he had it all already, but now...If he screws this up....

Yeah, Tunsil...I....bongmask....I would have never felt comfortable giving him BIG BIG MONEY.

Since it does seem likely the Phins are gonna end up with #1 overall pick, are we Phin Phans enough to hope the Texans stink it up too, so their #1 pick(s) are higher???

No, no....let's not tempt fate here....just revel in making a deal in which the OTHER TEAM got snookered!

Maybe the Phins have turned the corner on front office management dare we hope???
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next