The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in a number?

4 posters

Go down

What's in a number? Empty What's in a number?

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:04 am

and now for something non-draft related. so the NFL passed a new regulations regarding what numbers can be worn by what positions.

The NFL's new rule, adopted Wednesday with a number of other proposals, allows quarterbacks, punters and place-kickers to wear numbers 1-19, defensive backs 1-49, and then running backs, tight ends and wide receivers 1-49 and 80-89. Offensive linemen can wear 50-79, defensive linemen 50-79 and 90-99, and linebackers 1-59 and 90-99.

so as someone who typically skews towards a traditionalist - and an old fuddy duddy - i just don't see that this is necessary, especially considering that rosters are still capped at 53 players. yes, there are PS and IR guys, but do they really need numbers? and is that handful of guys really enough to force this change?

i don't think my level of criticism rises to Tom's level, but does he have a point?

Brady took to Instagram on Thursday to express his dissatisfaction with the rule change, believing it will cause safety issues for the offense, such as identifying blitzers or who's the middle linebacker of the defense.

"Good luck trying to block the right people now!" Brady posted on his Instagram story, with an image of the new numbers permitted. "Going to make for a lot of bad football!"

Brady then posted a screen capture of a story about the rule and directed it to the NFL and NFL Players Association, with the words "DUMB" and "Why not let the Lineman wear whatever they want too? Why have numbers? Just have colored jerseys...why not wear the same number?...DUMB."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31310379/tampa-bay-buccaneers-tom-brady-blasts-dumb-new-nfl-uniform-number-rule

but i do have a serious question. when Belichick brings in a goal line formation with 5 OL and places LB #23 on the end as an "apparent extra blocker" and has TE #4 split on the slot does that player #23 have to declare as an eligible receiver as he would have had to do if he were wearing the traditional #53 of a LB?

the truth is, this number change rule has nothing to do with the game. its about jersey sales. historically jerseys number 1 through 29 have outsold jerseys numbered 50 plus. That's because offensive skill position players garner most attention (note the influx of WRs in the teens). But for many teams, the star is a pass rushing LB or perhaps a uniquely gifted TE and those teams want to have a way to maximize those jersey sales with numbers below 29.

to make this thread relevant to the Dolphins...

Lynn Bowden Jr. has his eyes on sporting No. 6 for the Dolphins

https://sports.yahoo.com/lynn-bowden-jr-eyes-sporting-002812539.html

Bowden is currently wearing #15 which is the number of returning (maybe) Albert Wilson, so somethings gotta give. oh, and if i were Lynn, i wouldn't get my hopes up too high...#6 is the college jersey of DeVonta Smith (oh, did i say this was non-draft related?).

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

What's in a number? Empty Re: What's in a number?

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:53 am

Yeah, I agree. I most definitely am and "old buddy dude" so I did not see anything wrong with the old numbers.

The NFL is gonna keep on until the game stinks I think. Like the NBA. Evil or Very Mad
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:17 am

first major player to announce a number switch.

New Minnesota Vikings cornerback Patrick Peterson is the first player to take advantage of the NFL's relaxed rule on jersey numbers that now permits defensive backs to wear Nos. 1-49.

On his All Things Covered podcast, Peterson said he'll be switching from the No. 21 he donned for the past decade with the Arizona Cardinals to No. 7, the number he wore during his standout collegiate career at LSU and in high school.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31341129/minnesota-vikings-cb-patrick-peterson-says-wear-no-7-2021-season

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:03 am

I can't say I'm a fan of the new number designations - but in the grand scheme of things it's really not a big deal. As long as the league continues to put out a good product - and this past season was excellent IMO - I'm fine with these minor tweaks.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 11, 2021 8:13 am

in case you're keeping track of such things...

The Dolphins announced that first-round draft picks Jaylen Waddle and Jaelan Phillips will keep their college numbers. Waddle will wear 17 and Phillips 15.

The numbers assigned to the Dolphins’ other draft picks: Jevon Holland (22), Liam Eichenberg (74) Hunter Long (84), Larnel Coleman (79), Gerrid Doaks (23).

The team’s most prominent offseason addition, Will Fuller, will wear No. 3. Noah Igbinoghene has switched from 23 to 9, Lynn Bowden from 15 to 6, and Elandon Roberts from 44 to 52.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article251288424.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 am

I just noticed on my earlier post in this thread that auto correct turned my "OLD FUDDY DUDDY" into "old buddy dude"???

All I have to say is.... DYAC!!!!

I sort of agree with Tom on this. I never saw anything wrong with the old numbering system. But then again, I am an "old buddy dude" in AutoCorrect... OLD FUDDY DUDDY translated.

Rolling Eyes

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 am

The NFL never misses a chance to sell more jerseys. That's all this is about.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Yep, ""follow the money" or "who stands to make the most" are two ways to figure out 99.9% of the moves these nitwits make.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down