The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips

5 posters

Go down

Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips Empty Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 21, 2021 3:57 pm

I was reading Jacksonville had them listed as their top 2 players and Phillips as the top pass rusher. Same as our board.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips Empty Re: Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips

Post by JMP Fri May 21, 2021 4:39 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I was reading Jacksonville had them listed as their top 2 players and Phillips as the top pass rusher. Same as our board.

Interesting...seems like I really underestimated Waddle's value in this draft.

I wonder if Urban Meyer recruited Waddle and/or Phillips? Really curious to see how he does as an NFL head coach.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 21, 2021 6:05 pm

I saw "Lawrence/Phillips" and immediately thought of the thug RB who JJ stupidly signed for no reason in December of the '97 season and to my complete and utter lack of surprise, didn't work out and wound up in jail for trying to run over a couple of teen boys after getting into an argument with them during a pickup football game I think, and then later died.

DolFan 316

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I saw "Lawrence/Phillips" and immediately thought of the thug RB who JJ stupidly signed for no reason in December of the '97 season and to my complete and utter lack of surprise, didn't work out and wound up in jail for trying to run over a couple of teen boys after getting into an argument with them during a pickup football game I think, and then later died.

Nebraska RB. I remember him.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm

JMP wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:I was reading Jacksonville had them listed as their top 2 players and Phillips as the top pass rusher. Same as our board.

Interesting...seems like I really underestimated Waddle's value in this draft.

I wonder if Urban Meyer recruited Waddle and/or Phillips? Really curious to see how he does as an NFL head coach.

They released a photo of their draft board. Waddle and Lawrence were both 8.0. Phillips was at 7.5. I'm assuming that 10 is a perfect player.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat May 22, 2021 4:40 pm

I said early on if you think/thought Waddle was the next Tyreek Hill, then you have to draft him.

Seems I was not alone in that assessment.

I would DEARLY love to know what decision Grier would have made if Pitts, Chase and Waddle were all there at #6?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat May 22, 2021 7:47 pm

He would have taken Waddle, it's the best fit for the Phins right now.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Degarmo wrote:He would have taken Waddle, it's the best fit for the Phins right now.

I disagree. The Hunter Long pick tells me that Pitts would've been the choice at 5 if he'd been there.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 24, 2021 9:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:He would have taken Waddle, it's the best fit for the Phins right now.

I disagree. The Hunter Long pick tells me that Pitts would've been the choice at 5 if he'd been there.

I disagree with your disagreement. Long is an all-around TE that can block as well as run routes and catch. Pitts is like Gesicki...a receiver that offers very little as a blocker. I think the Phins were looking for a more complete TE to pair with Gesicki. It's pretty clear that they had Waddle over Pitts (and Chase.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 24, 2021 9:59 am

finfanatic wrote:

I would DEARLY love to know what decision Grier would have made if Pitts, Chase and Waddle were all there at #6?

It's already been stated: Waddle was their top target. They would have chosen Waddle over any other player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon May 24, 2021 2:45 pm

Yeah... yeah... yeah...

They will always say they got the guy they wanted.

I think it would have been VERY INTERESTING to see which way they went.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 24, 2021 3:54 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yeah... yeah... yeah...

They will always say they got the guy they wanted.

I think it would have been VERY INTERESTING to see which way they went.

There's really nothing interesting about it - the answer is clear.  I don't understand why you refuse to believe that Waddle was their #1 target?   LOL  Even if you don't believe the team when they say Waddle was #2 on their board (behind T-Law), surely the two trades are proof enough?  Here it is again:

If the Dolphins wanted Pitts or Chase, they WOULD NOT have traded out of the 3 spot. Everyone knew that there was a high probability that both Pitts and Chase would be gone in the top 5.  So put 2 + 2 together...if the Dolphins wanted either player they WOULD NOT have traded down.  They traded up again because they knew Waddle would be gone before 12.  

There's really nothing to see here.  The Phins wanted Waddle, and they got him.

Waddle/Trevor Lawrence/Phillips Df9a363f681ef81cde72a2508536dedc

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 pm

Phins had Waddle as their highest rated receiver. He was the target hence the maneuver to gain draft picks. Miami went through a large portion of last year without a #1 receiver. I think upgrading the receivers was priority 1. Parker is prototypical as a #1 but I think Miami is looking for multiple receivers where the focus isn't the player but the position. Any given Sunday 1 of the receivers may be the top guy and Miami wants it that way. Spread it around.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 26, 2021 9:08 am

CarsonChris wrote:Phins had Waddle as their highest rated receiver. He was the target hence the maneuver to gain draft picks. Miami went through a large portion of last year without a #1 receiver. I think upgrading the receivers was priority 1. Parker is prototypical as a #1 but I think Miami is looking for multiple receivers where the focus isn't the player but the position. Any given Sunday 1 of the receivers may be the top guy and Miami wants it that way. Spread it around.

Great post - and I think you nailed it. Adding Waddle and Fuller gives us a pretty diverse group of receivers now, and I think both gameplans and game situations will dictate who the top receiver is week to week. That term "multiple" is being used a lot and I think that's exactly what the Phins have now on offense, when you look at the WR, TE and RB positions. We have a bunch of skill players that can do a variety of things - so we no longer have to be a predictable, boring offense. I think we'll see a lot of different formations and personnel groups.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this offense in action. If Tua is the real deal and the OL improves, we might finally have an exciting, dynamic offense that can actually score TDs!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum