The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concerns for this years team

4 posters

Go down

Concerns for this years team Empty Concerns for this years team

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 am

The new season is almost upon us. We will have more answers to questions about the future of Miami. My concerns going into this season have been weighing on me. Most questions I have about the future of the team revolve around the offense.

1. Did we do enough to build around Tua?
2. Will Tua take charge of the offense?
3. Is a 2 headed offensive coordinator combo a good idea?
4. Will we be able to run a power running game to finish off games?
5. Waddle over Smith the right choice?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Concerns for this years team Empty Re: Concerns for this years team

Post by JMP Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:02 am

I really only have one question with this team: offensive line. If that unit improves significantly, everything else will fall into place and we are going to surprise a lot of people.

We don't need the best OL in the league - just an OL that's good enough to CONSISTENTLY protect the QB and open holes in the running game.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 am

I agree with JMP comment regarding the offensive line. So much will hinge on that unit, but I will give my take on all these questions:

I would say yes, the Fins did enough to build around Tua and what I'm seeing from Grier is he does not stop with one player and say "its fixed". Here are a couple examples. We were definitely thin at receiver given the injury prone nature of Grant, Williams and Parker - so we needed more talent and depth there. First, we sign Fuller in free agency, a proven deep thread with world class speed. Did Grier stop? No, he added Waddle - a player the team had been studying since they were watching film on Tua two years ago.

My second example goes to the offensive line. We drafted three players last year, with Hunt performing the best and showing the most long-term potential with highest ceiling. Was Grier satisfied? No, he added MORE linemen in free agency. Then, he drafts a tackle in the third round - almost immediately penciled in to start at RT. Once again, he doesn't just add one player (like a guard since that was the most obvious need) he adds multiple pieces to compete and make the unit a strength instead of a weakness.

A great question, and I can see into the thinking behind it: Will he be a leader like Fitzpatrick was the last two years? It's hard to know. My guess is "yes", based on the scouting reports for Tua coming out of college. Part of the reason we drafted Tua was because of his high charisma, excellent work ethic and leadership ability. If he doesn't take charge of the offense this season something is seriously wrong. And there's risk, Flores keeps swapping out offensive coordinators which is not ideal for a young QB. We really need stability in scheme and playcalling. So while I think Tua has all the ability to take charge, will the offensive coaching staff, coordinators and whoever calls the plays have the right chemistry to install the best game plan week to week? It's a big question.

It's not typical and that makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes too much collaboration can be a bad thing. There has to be an ultimate decision maker with accountability on what gets implemented, what plays stay and which ones go. Also the formulation of the game plan can be collaborative, but one person has to say "this is what we are doing against the Bills". I can see the thinking from Flores here, hesitant to change too much so going with internal staff instead of bringing in someone from the outside. I would have preferred if he made one guy the coordinator, and promoted the other somehow while giving him a raise to retain him or something like that.

Echoing JMP, the offensive line has to be playing well for this to happen. I really don't care who the running back is, and I'm fine with Gaskin and the host of backs on that unit. Our run blocking last year was too poor to ever think we could close a game out running the ball. Mostly we relied on our excellent defense to bail us out. I'm encouraged not only with the talent we added to the unit, but also the change in coaching. Flores has seemingly done a very good job finding young coaches that know how to communicate in a way that resonates with players. If he got it right on the offensive line, this will pay our team dividends for years to come.

I'm saying yes, although before the draft I was thinking Smith all the way. The fact Smith dropped several more spots before going at 12 makes me think Grier got it right. In addition to the story about how they were studying Waddle for a long time, two seasons at least. Smith just doesn't seem to have anything that screams "elite", while Waddle does have elite run-after-catch ability, plus the talent to play all routes, inside or outside. Taking the player with elite traits, IMO, is the right move. With Tua it was elite accuracy, anticipation and leadership. We'll just have to see if long-term that outweighs Herbert's elite arm. Plus we all know the Fins wanted Burrow badly, but no way Cincy was letting that happen. Burrow another example of a player with elite ability.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

The best friend of a young QB is a strong running game. Where we lacked the most last year was in short yardage situations when teams knew we were going to run. Liam Eichenberg seems more finesse than power. Hunt is power not finesse. Jackson is another finesse player. The center from Baltimore is more power. It will be interesting to see how they play together this year. Feels like a battle of direction. I prefer maulers.

I don't like the 2 headed play calling system. I think it will be disfunctional and hinder Tua's development.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:23 pm

Many teams in both college and the NFL use a two-head offensive playcalling system, and it works just fine. The only difference with the Dolphins is that they label both coaches "offensive coordinators" instead of "run game coordinator" or "pass game coordinator", as other teams do. It's quite common and is not a big deal and is really a non-issue...just another thing the media has turned into a story.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:29 am

CarsonChris wrote:The new season is almost upon us. We will have more answers to questions about the future of Miami. My concerns going into this season have been weighing on me. Most questions I have about the future of the team revolve around the offense.

1. We'll have to see.
2. I guess time will tell.
3. As the season progresses, we'll find out.
4. That depends on the OL.
5. By the end of this year, we'll have a better idea.

Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:55 am

That's one helluva crystal ball you have there, Degarmo! Smile

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm

JMP wrote:That's one helluva crystal ball you have there, Degarmo!   Smile  

I generally use one of those old Magic 8 Balls.

Lots of people did back in the 80s, but it was a different 8-ball. Miami snow.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:58 pm

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:That's one helluva crystal ball you have there, Degarmo!   Smile  

I generally use one of those old Magic 8 Balls.

Lots of people did back in the 80s, but it was a different 8-ball.  Miami snow.

Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down