The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brief Idiotic Optimism - A Rant

+3
JMP
white1
Degarmo
7 posters

Go down

Brief Idiotic Optimism - A Rant Empty Brief Idiotic Optimism - A Rant

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 am

Last year, the Patriots fielded one of the crappiest offensive lines in football for the first three weeks.  They got it together.  So can we.

We only need:

1)  Coaches that understand how to make informed, intelligent change with decisions that play to the strengths of their current players;

2)  A big fucking genie to grant that wish, because it's never going to god damn happen, ever.

These morons cannot possibly make the right decisions with the offensive line, because they don't know how to build one . . . at all, not one fucking iota.

Well, that went off the rails quickly.

The only thing that can happen here is that the line somehow ends up figuring this all out, because if they continue this play we're going to have a QB on the IR with a serious case of got the shit knocked out of me too many times in three and a quarter seasons.

Did you see Philbin's press conference after the game?  The man is defeated.  They said that he seemed visibly irritated, "for Joe Philbin".  He should look visibly irritated for a grizzly bear with a firecracker up it's ass.  This lack of any kind of emotion, followed by looking down as if he was just told his pet goldfish had been flushed just screams of a guy who doesn't have the fortitude to actually coach at this level in this position.  I think he's emotionally in over his head.  I don't think he can handle these guys, and I think they know it, particularly on defense.  He has no idea what the hell is going on with the players of his team (see:  Bullygate) and they don't respect him in the way they should.  Perhaps they like him, but he's just not a leader of men.  He isn't.  He doesn't have "IT".  This is an emotional game.  All of the best coaches showed it in some way or another.  Even Tony Dungy was able to get through to his guys using his mild-mannered approach, but there is a point where they have to understand that you give a shit.

I know Philbin loves the game, and I doubt he's an idiot to get as far as he has in his profession.  More likely, his moron-speech is because he thinks the fans will just swallow bullshit.  This is his problem.  He's out of touch on a personal and emotional level with just about everything.  I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be his psychologist or anything, but I just don't think he's in touch with people in general.  He strikes me as an out-of-place nerd in a room full of guys that all think they are god's gift.  He's got to feel constantly out of place, because although he loves the game and the Xs and Os, he doesn't do that anymore.  He's not an active game day coach like others who call plays.  He's never called anything on a consistent basis.  So, he's trying to be the old-school figurehead coach, but he lacks the intensity and personality to be that kind of a leader.  Tom Landry, a guy who rarely lost his temper, was absolutely feared by his players, because he would kick their asses with punishments if they screwed up.  

Just think about all the really good coaches, they had a leadership style about them you could see from across the room.  You knew precisely who was in charge of those teams at all times.  Philbin has none of that.  None.

At some point, particularly nowadays, if there is no quick and brutal consequence, the inmates just start running the asylum.  Suh already has checked out, and he's been here a couple months.  I'm not saying he won't play well, I'm just saying he's checked out of this coaching squad's "philosophy" of "uh, I dunno, let's try this".

Philbin can't lead, because he's unable to.  He is not a head coach and he never will be.  He doesn't have any of the characteristics of a great head coach, and without those, you're just another ex going back to coordinating.  

Think about it.  What is Joe Philbin's team philosophy?  Not the gum wrapper bullshit, what is his vision for the Dolphins?  He'll give  you this nebulous garbage about consistency, hard-nosed, blither, blather, bloo, but none of it rings true.  Are we a pass-heavy team, run heavy or balanced?  Did you know that this offense is SUPPOSED TO BE RUN HEAVY to set up the play action?  Did you know that?  That's actually what it is supposed to be.  We're not even in the same area code of what this offense is supposed to be.  Why?  Because Joe Philbin doesn't have any vision for this team and how it's supposed to be, and he won't enforce that vision (which is nonexistent) on game day or during the week with the offensive coordinator.  He wants to win, and that's it.  He has really no optimal plan for getting there.  Remember when he started with the faster practices going both directions, then stopped due to players being all tired?  So, there went his up-tempo bullshit, which never really translated to the field now did it?  So we can Sherman and we're all happy because we feel like we're going to get this new coach who has a better approach that should accent Tannehill's development, and he comes here and we BARELY CHANGE AT ALL ON OFFENSE.  Seriously, if you told me Sherman was still calling plays, I'd believe you, all the way down to not trying to press the run, even when it's working really, really well.

Defensively, I think Suh said it best when he kept trying to impart that they just need to decide what it is they want to do and then do it.  Reading between the lines, they have no fucking plan, just random schemes.  What's the defensive focus?  What is our defensive identity?  What the hell is it that we do well?  Can anyone here tell me what Coyle's defensive scheme really is?  No, because there is no vision at all from the top.  He has assembled guys and is letting them coach, but he needs to step in an give more direction.  People can say that he is doing that, but it's obvious that he is doing nothing of the sort.  

If you want the team to start faster, FUCKING NAIL IT INTO THEIR HEADS DURING THE WEEK.  Start getting strict with these do-nothing assholes.  Bench some players.  Get in someone's god damn face about their lack of good play.  Force the accountability issue.

He's just a boring PR guy.  That's all he is, and he's bad at it too.  There is no vision from the head coach position of the Miami Dolphins.  It's just a bunch of confused ramblings which mean nothing.  I'm sick of it, it's old and tired, and it's just time for him to go.  He's not going to change, he can't change, because he doesn't have a current style to change from. He can't pull a Tom Coughlin because he isn't a super strict guy, or a heady numbers guy, or an offensive genius guy, or a players' coach guy. He doesn't know what the hell he is.  There is no vision.  There is no passion.  There is no fire.  There is no identity.  There is no respect.

None.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Brief Idiotic Optimism - A Rant Empty Re: Brief Idiotic Optimism - A Rant

Post by white1 Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 am

I agree with what you're saying here. Good point about the offense. Chip Kelly just demonstrated exactly what we should be. He ran the ball all day on the Jets - WITHOUT DeMarco Murray on the field. He did it with Darren Sproles and someone else I can't remember, winning handily against a very good Jets defense and with not much passing output from Bradford at all.

I cannot blame the players for their attitude. What they WANT, is to be led, to be playing in schemes that put them in the right position to make plays, and ultimately compete and come away victorious on Sundays. This staff is giving them none of that. We are routinely outsmarted and outcoached, and our players have to look at the film afterwards and watch the opposing team running circles around them on both sides of the ball.

Like someone else said on another thread, if it was just about money then nobody anywhere would need motivation to do anything - after all "they are getting paid good money". That's true of every NFL roster - they ALL get good money. Yet, you see year after year teams that can't win more than a handful of games, and are seen playing listless until an interim coach takes the reins. Sparano is one good example from last year, he got more out of that squad in four games than the previous coach did in the 12 before he took over.

Players in the NFL are extremely competitive, finely tuned athletes. They want to win more than anything. A bad coaching staff will wear out its welcome, especially with players that have performed at a high level before and have confidence in their own ability. The ego plays a part in this. "This isn't on me. I know I can play better hell I HAVE played better. Something else is wrong here." Likely part defense mechanism, to reconcile the ego view of the self versus the results seen on tape.

In any case - we are so, so fucked with this coaching staff. I only hope it gets a little better, I don't want to see guys get hurt. Especially Tannehill. I'm more convinced than ever he can be the guy in Miami. We have so little around him, and the line is so bad at protecting him, and yet he still performs in the face of all this.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:14 am

The other part is that players don't want to charge through a wall and risk their entire career for a loser.  They can recognize one, and they're now professionals.  So if they see that the system isn't working, they're not going to risk it all for a 4-12 record.  Why should they?

I know it seems all knight-like to do so, but in reality these guys are trying to protect their long-term financial status.

It is what it is, and I don't blame them, for the most part.  There are some exceptions.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:43 am

Excellent discussion here, and you've both made excellent points.

This team lacks leadership, plain and simple. And it all starts at the top with Stephen Ross. Ross is completely incompetent and has made a clusterfuck of the organizational structure of the team. And it all trickles down, ending with a coaching staff that can't get out of its own way. It's a total disaster.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Sometimes the Players need to step up and hold each other accountable for there shitty play, Especially on this Team with No leadership from the coaches.

Tanny needs to take over this Offense and tell these Players what they need to do better and someone on Defense needs to do the same thing.

When I watch other teams play it is amazing to see such good play from the Ol & Dl, The Qb drops back to pass and actually has time to look around and find a Wr and not running for Life and than on Defense You see all this pressure either thru the front 4 or by blitzing easy Shit to do. The Fins can't do Neitherwhich just makes it so frustrating to watch.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:54 pm

finskev wrote:Sometimes the Players need to step up and hold each other accountable for there shitty play, Especially on this Team with No leadership from the coaches.

Tanny needs to take over this Offense and tell these Players what they need to do better and someone on Defense needs to do the same thing.

The problem is, which players are leaders on this team? I can't think of one.

Tannehill is meek and mild...he doesn't have the personality of a field general.

Landry is energetic, but is he a leader?

Jennings probably has some leadership ability, but at this stage he's an aging, unproductive backup who is nearing retirement.

Suh has never been known as a leader, and I wouldn't expect him to become one.

Wake isn't really a leader, Grimes certainly isn't a leader, and that's about it.

All the players that had at least some leadership ability have been cut or traded, because Philbin couldn't deal with them.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:11 pm

If that  is a brief rant I would hate to see a long one.  

No worries Miami will play great and crush New York.  Who am I kidding the players gave up and coaches are fuckwads.

That is brief. Not as insiteful but sometimes better to be short and sweet.  

I am surprised by the outpouring of anger these past two weeks.  Did you thinks Miami would be good?  Please tell me yes I need a laugh.

Hey all is good Mike Tannebaum will fix everything like he did at Jets.   Ha!
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:23 pm

I thought the Phins would go 8-8 again. But at this point, I'm not sure they could win 8 games if the NFL season was as long as the MLB season. Really, they should be 0-3 right now if not for Landry's improbable heroics at the end of the Skins game.

As for Tannenbaum, Ross will probably give him 4-5 seasons to run this team even further into the ground. We're nowhere near rock bottom yet, but if anyone can get us there it's Tannenbaum. Just watch...even though we already have cap problems, he'll sign another huge-$ free agent next year, and trade away half our draft. That was his MO with the Jets, and I don't think he's changed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Get 8 wins if Vanilla Joe is shitcanned. Or we get genie bottle. I do not know which one is more likely. Yes I do more likely to get a genie. You know Mangini is starting to look pretty good. Fuckkkkkkkk
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:36 pm

In case anyone was wondering, The Mangenius is currently the defensive coordinator of the 49ers. Out of 32 teams in the league, the 49ers are currently # 31 in points allowed.

Not saying that it's all Mangini's fault...just saying.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Hue Jackson would also be a strong possibility due to ties with Tannenbaum at Priority Sports.

Would Jackson, Mangini or Teryl Austin be any better than Philbin? Who knows, but none of them could possibly be any worse at this point. At the very least, whoever gets hired will be on the same page with Tannenbaum, which has to be better than the shotgun weddings that we've seen Huizenga and Ross organizing for the last decade and a half.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Mangini just has so many ties to the Dolphins. Ross, Tannenbaum and Aponte and Ross - the three people with the most power in the organization. I have to think he's high on the list.

Even with all Mangini's baggage, there is something to be said for having everyone on the same page. That would be a welcome change from the current mess we're in.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:56 pm

JMP wrote:I thought the Phins would go 8-8 again.  But at this point, I'm not sure they could win 8 games if the NFL season was as long as the MLB season.  Really, they should be 0-3 right now if not for Landry's improbable heroics at the end of the Skins game.

I'm now convinced the team decided to quit on Philbin in that game too, but Landry didn't get the memo and was "dumb" enough to actually try. Seriously.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:57 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Would Jackson, Mangini or Teryl Austin be any better than Philbin?  Who knows, but none of them could possibly be any worse at this point.  

You like to taunt the karma gods? Could not be any worse?
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Triumph wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:Would Jackson, Mangini or Teryl Austin be any better than Philbin?  Who knows, but none of them could possibly be any worse at this point.  

You like to taunt the karma gods?   Could not be any worse?  

Yep, I'll taunt them with that statement. Absolutely nothing could be any worse than what we all saw Sunday.

You could hand a mentally challenged orangutan a headset and a whistle and he wouldn't do any worse than that.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Triumph wrote:

You like to taunt the karma gods?   Could not be any worse?  

LOL That is true. Average Joe keeps getting at or near 8 wins, and things could certainly be a lot worse. Although, you can make the argument (and I know 316 has, several times) that wallowing in mediocrity is actually worse than being bad - because you get that false sense of "we're so close!"

In any case, if Philbin stays the whole season we will likely be far below .500 anyway...a new coach should be able to do better than that...right? Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Absolutely nothing could be any worse than what we all saw Sunday.

You could hand a mentally challenged orangutan a headset and a whistle and he wouldn't do any worse than that.

So true. Not sure if I should Laughing or Sad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:10 pm

At the very least, with the orangutan, players would fear making the coach mad for the first time in almost a decade.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:05 pm

JMP wrote:LOL  That is true.  Average Joe keeps getting at or near 8 wins, and things could certainly be a lot worse.  Although, you can make the argument (and I know 316 has, several times) that wallowing in mediocrity is actually worse than being bad - because you get that false sense of "we're so close!"

Hey, the two best Fins seasons since '04 came immediately after the two worst. Just sayin' Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down