The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans

4 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans Empty Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans

Post by JMP Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:42 pm

The Dolphins season ended today in Tennessee in embarrassing fashion, with a 34-3 blowout loss that felt like it might as well have been 100-0.

Tua played the worst game of his life, as the offense stumbled and bumbled its way to a worthless 3 points.  Terrible playcalling, no running game, receivers that couldn’t get open, poor OL play and an inaccurate QB all added up to nothing.

The defense played poorly, with no pass rush and absolutely horrible run defense.  The Titans kept killing the defense with screens and rollouts in the pass game, and Miami had no answers.

Special teams was terrible, with a missed FG and garbage punts.

The officiating was horrific, missing calls that could have had an impact on the game.

The Dolphins won seven in a row after losing seven in a row, but in the end they just couldn’t overcome a pathetically bad offense.

My guess is Grier and Flores get one more season to get it right.  I think they’ll be in desperation mode and will blow the team up in a last-gasp effort.  I expect Tua to be replaced, Parker to be traded, Gesicki to walk in free agency and most of the offensive staff to be replaced.  I also expect a major free agent spending frenzy.  It will all result in another failure, and we’ll be starting all over again in 2023.  It sucks rooting for this team.

Hero of the Game: No one.

Goat of the Game: Everyone.  Just a piss-poor effort in all 3 phases and on the coaching staff.  Tua and the run defense get the nod for 'worst of the worst'.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:15 pm

No I'm not sick. I'm just a long suffering Fin's Fan.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 17 Dolphins at Titans

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Even Football Outsiders only had the Titans as the 20th best team according to their metrics. And from their previous five games that seemed about right.

This reminds me so much of the 37-3 Titans loss in '12, right down to the officiating that got so bad Steve Tasker actually said on air they weren't doing the Dolphins any favors (which is announcer code for, "Good God almighty they're going out of their way to screw the Dolphins over!"). Only that game was at home and the Fins were a half game better going in because bye week. It was actually named the most shocking result of that whole season by at least one site.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201211110mia.htm

At least when they lost in week 16 41-0 to a 3-win Colts team in '97 they still made the playoffs...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:22 pm

JMP wrote:My guess is Grier and Flores get one more season to get it right.  I think they’ll be in desperation mode and will blow the team up in a last-gasp effort.  I expect Tua to be replaced, Parker to be traded, Gesicki to walk in free agency and most of the offensive staff to be replaced.  I also expect a major free agent spending frenzy.  It will all result in another failure, and we’ll be starting all over again in 2023.  It sucks rooting for this team.

We already know what Flores is about. He'll get off to a rotten start yet again next season, before the team suddenly improves only to get run off the field at the end in a must-win game. That's who he is, and he's never going to change.

We've known what Grier's about for years. Can't draft O-line to save his life. Loves him some injury-prone players. Also loves to throw gobs of money at other teams' 30something rejects while refusing to sign any player he drafted who are any good--if he hasn't traded them away first.

Next season is already a pointless waste of everyone's time even before the inevitable Watson trade that will go down as the single dumbest, most mind-blowingly idiotic move by any team in the history of human sports.

At least when I leave this world I'll have nothing in it to look forward to which will make things a lot easier.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Yeah, I already feel like next season will be a waste too.  It rarely works out positively when both your GM and head coach are dead men walking.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:59 am

no point in rehashing this game in any detail. the Dolphins lost for the same reasons they always lose games. when facing a smash-mouth team that wants to line up and run the ball, the Phins still have no ability to stop it. and Miami's o-line has no ability to protect the QB. its as simple as that and its the same problems that have plagued this team throughout the current regime's tenure and beyond.

the good news, i wasn't even that upset they lost this game. i checked out on caring about this season after the Jags loss.

remember when i apathetically poo pooed the Ravens victory?

mercury22nathan wrote:Ok, yes this was an amazing effort by the defense.  But so what?  

Hurrah!  Great win!  So what?  Who cares?  Sorry Dolphins, you’ve already lost me for this season.  The only point left to this season is hoping San Francisco drops in the standing as that is Miami’s first round pick.

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2478-game-thoughts-week-10-ravens-at-dolphins

gotta say i saw this coming a mile away so i made the conscious choice not to get invested.

mercury22nathan wrote:(ssshhh, don't tell anyone...i'm not entirely convinced the Phins will even win out so i don't think it really matters who wins)

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2525-316-s-guide-on-who-to-root-for

oh, but now it gets even better. not only did i stop caring about this season, but i am now openly rooting for the Dolphins to do whatever it takes to obtain Deshaun Watson. YES. Houston wants three 1st rounders, i say give them four just to make sure. the Texans want Waddle, Howard and Raekwon Davis too...bye bye guys. oh, but what about those sexual assault (soon-to-be) convictions? meh. Michael Vick is now celebrated. Antonio Brown has been given how many chances? Kareem Hunt! talent trumps all. people only act outraged as long as it is convenient.

do i think Watson is the answer to make this team relevant again? absolutely not. i think Watson is (was) extremely talented. he will fail in Miami just like every other high profile acquisition. is Tua horrible - should he be replaced? nope. but he will never succeed in Miami. the groundwork has already been laid. the seeds of doubt have already been sown. this team destroyed itself to get Tua and then tried to destroy him. no QB will prosper in Miami with the current regime and owner. let them have Watson. let Watson fail. this is the only way a change will occur. the Dolphins true rebuild will begin 2025 - the year they can get out from underneath Watson's contract. until then, dolfans have 3 seasons worth of nothingness to suffer through. but unfortunately, it is the only way. WATSON!!!

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 am

I should have listened to you, merc. I bought into the winning streak, and got screwed yet again.

As they say, games are won and lost in the trenches. And for the millionth time, the Dolphins trenches failed to show up in a big game. Pushed around and embarrassed. Same story over and over.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down