The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins

5 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins  Empty Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:52 pm

In the final game of the season, the Miami Dolphins beat the New England Patriots for the 3rd consecutive time, securing back to back winning seasons for the first time in nearly 20 years. I was going to call this a bittersweet victory since we didn’t make the playoffs, but no…nothing bitter about beating the Patriots. Despite no postseason, I love this team and I am proud of what they accomplished.

After a brilliant opening TD drive by Tua and the Phins, the Miami D put another 7 on the board with an Xavien Howard pick 6 against wildly overrated rookie Mac Jones. The 14-0 lead would be tested late, but would never be relinquished.

Tua didn’t do much in the passing game, but he didn’t need to as the Phins tallied almost 200 yards on the ground. Led by Duke Johnson and his 117 rushing yards, the Dolphins just kept methodically pounding the ball and moving the chains, holding the ball for 33 and a half minutes. Tua had two HUGE runs for key first downs today as his pocket broke down, and hopefully he adds that element to his game next season – because he’s really good at it.

The defense did its trademark bend but don’t break act, but bent too much for my liking. Still, they scored 2 TDs (one on the final play of the game, when Sam Eguavoen caught a Patriot lateral for the score) and got the job done in the end.

On this day, Jaylen Waddle set a new NFL record for receptions by a rookie, finishing with 104 catches and topping 1000 yards. By my count, Christian Wilkins set an NFL record for tackles by a defensive lineman.

I know you are going to call me crazy, but I think this Dolphins team is close. We were 3 plays away from competing for the AFC’s #1 seed. We won 8 of our last 9 games. I’m telling you right now: there is no reason to blow this team up. Let’s build on what we’ve accomplished – reload, don’t rebuild. Fix the OL and add a couple of playmakers at RB and WR, and this team is right there in a weak AFC. Stay the course, follow the plan and move forward.

So that’s it. 9-8 after starting 1-7, and a critical offseason awaits. Can this team take the next step? Stay tuned.

Hero of the Game: Duke Johnson. The University of Miami star has been a revelation since joining the team late in the season. Duke carried this team today, and re-signing him should be a priority.

Goat of the Game: I’ve run out of ways to describe how bad this OL is, and we saw it again today with horrendous pass protection.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins  Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:09 pm

So, yeah, Tua sucks and Mac Jones is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But Tua is 2-0 against Jones. Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins  Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 18 Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm

BTW...anyone else notice that after sacks, etc. the Jets had 53 total yards against Buffalo today???? How is that even possible???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:10 pm

This Passing Game needs Fixed Big Time and it Starts with more Talent at WR and Better Pass Blocking, Run Blocking did Improve Later in the Year. Johnson needs to be Resign and Lindsey too. Only 3 WR’s worth keeping are Waddle , Parker and Hollins .

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:36 pm

I wouldn't keep Parker. It's a detriment to have players you can't rely on. Hollins and Waddle. Gesicki. Miami needs to draft multiple receivers next year. Maybe sign one. Just don't let Grier sign them.

Duke Johnson should get a contract.

I only caught bits and pieces of today's game. Good season for Waddle.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 am

CarsonChris wrote:I wouldn't keep Parker. It's a detriment to have players you can't rely on. Hollins and Waddle. Gesicki.  Miami needs to draft multiple receivers next year. Maybe sign one. Just don't let Grier sign them.

Duke Johnson should get a contract.

I only caught bits and pieces of today's game.  Good season for Waddle.

Parker should be retained at a team friendly deal. It should be incentives for making the active roster every week. I would just hate to see him as a patriot next year and he plays all 17 games.

Gesicki for me is a toss up. It's about numbers and cost. His numbers are not there that warrant 11-13 mil range. He's a liabliity from an in-line blocking production. If Miami continues to develop the RPO game with Tua than i'd rather put a receiver to run Gesicki's route tree. The RPO scheme that Miami employs is a 12 personnel with 2 inline blockers. Putting Gesicki out there is really just a WR running routes and I think I can get a more athletic guy for less. Gesicki is a very Athletic TE but not a very athletic WR. He can catch but again if Miami continues to employ this type of RPO than Gesicki shouldn't be paid 11-13mil a year.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:39 am

First and foremost, I am happy to see Miami win this (or any) game. The Phins won this game because of the defense – more specifically, the pick six by X. Miami’s defense took 3 turnovers leading to 13 direct points and a resultant FG on another. Were it up to the offense, the Dolphins probably would’ve lost this game. The offense does get credit for not turning the ball over (although the Patriots dropped at least 2 interceptions). Miraculously, the O-line only surrendered 1 sack. Duke Johnson amazingly ran for 117 yards – many of which he created on his own. The refs helped too by penalizing NE (78) more than twice as many yards the Phins (33). While I think Tua played pretty pedestrian at best, he did contribute some key scrambles to keep drives alive. Although he should’ve either launched the ball on the last play of the half (he had plenty of time and even pumped and brought it down) or thrown the ball away to preserve at least a chance at a long FG – pulling it down and running with no timeouts was just about the worst thing he could’ve done, but it didn’t hurt in the end.

But lets put this win in perspective. NE is in the playoffs. Miami is not. This win improved Miami’s record against playoff teams to 2-5 (both wins against NE) – still not good enough. This win obviously did enough to keep to Grier and Flores in place (I don’t think this was even a question), but I don’t think anything has been done to deter the owner from his infatuation with Watson (whose legal issues we should reportedly soon know about). And who knows, this team might even be better with Watson at QB. Let the playoff-less (again) offseason begin.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:07 am

I forgot to mention - rookie Robert Jones played most of the game at Right Tackle and seemed to be a big improvement over Davis.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Were it up to the offense, the Dolphins probably would’ve lost this game.  

Really? The Dolphins offense rolled up almost 200 yards rushing and controlled the clock. The defense let the Pats back in the game late by giving up a bunch of big plays, including 14 4th quarter points. The offense almost ran the clock down to 0 at the end and then an excellent punt by Palardy sealed the deal. The defense was great for 3 quarters, but they almost blew this game...which would have been the 4th time this season that they did so.

In the end this was a fun game and a great way to end a playoff-less season. I know most people disagree, but I think the arrow is pointing up and a few key offseason moves could put us right in the mix. Step one: sign Mike Munchak to be the OL coach!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down