The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

+3
DolFan 316
JMP
JEGnj
7 posters

Go down

Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?  Empty Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:57 pm

Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill and we have Tua, Gesicki, and Waddle.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?  Empty Re: Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:28 pm

So glad Fitztragic and Flores won a few useless games to cost Miami the #1 and Joe Burrows.
JEGnj
JEGnj

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?  Empty Re: Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

Post by JMP Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:52 pm

Burrow wasn't even that good today. The story of the game was the Bengals defense in the second half and OT. I don't know what the hell they did at halftime, but whatever it was it worked. They played absolutely outstanding and made Mahomes look normal.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:56 pm

JEGnj wrote:Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill and we have Tua, Gesicki, and Waddle.

I think Tua could really excel in a Shanahan-style offense. Of course, we need to build the OL and running game first.

If McDaniel gets the job, I'm curious to see how Gesicki fits in. In the Shanahan offense, EVERYONE blocks - including the TEs, and WRs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:08 pm

JEGnj wrote:So glad Fitztragic and Flores won a few useless games to cost Miami the #1 and Joe Burrows.

It really is infuriating, isn't it? I heard that Grier and Ross wanted to tank and Flores is the one who messed it up. And then HE'S the one who complained about Tua! Well if you'd tanked like you were supposed to you would've gotten the QB you wanted, ya goof!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Oh, and that cute little run at the end of '19 created such a winning culture that...they missed the playoffs the next two seasons and Flores got fired. Good one! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Oh BTW I'm still waiting for the media to call out the Bengals for tanking and start yammering about how they should be docked multiple draft picks. That's what they did when they thought the Fins were tanking (thanks to all the moves Grier made at the time) so fair is fair, right?

A Bengals-49ers Super Bowl is a slap in the face to all DolFans. Think about it. A two week reminder of how horrible Grier is and how he's still around anyway.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:15 pm

JMP wrote:Burrow wasn't even that good today.  The story of the game was the Bengals defense in the second half and OT.  I don't know what the hell they did at halftime, but whatever it was it worked.  They played absolutely outstanding and made Mahomes look normal.

All I know is that he won after being 18 down on the road. Not bad for a QB who "wasn't even that good". Burrow is the next Brady, he's going to win a title in Year Two just like Brady did. I seem to recall a lot of people saying Brady "wasn't that good" even after that win, and look what he did after that! (Oh and BTW the defense was the real story behind the Pats beating the Rams but nobody ever talks about that because, well, you know.)

This team just blew a golden chance to get the next Brady AND gave away a first round pick voluntarily. But I was supposed to keep hanging around and thinking things would get better? HA!!!

ALSO..this game just wrecked the silly, stupid narrative that OT needs to be changed because the team that loses that toss has no agency and *has* to roll over and accept defeat.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:58 pm

Funny thing is, when Tua has those games where he throws short passes all day and wins, as he did all season long, he gets no credit - the defense won all those games. But when Burrow does it, he's the next Tom Brady. Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:01 pm

JMP wrote:Funny thing is, when Tua has those games where he throws short passes all day and wins, as he did all season long, he gets no credit - the defense won all those games.  But when Burrow does it, he's the next Tom Brady.  Rolling Eyes

As you know I'm on your side on this. But to be fair, Burrow's team is on the verge of a title now, and Tua has yet to make the playoffs. That tends to influence things a bit. What you should really be irked about is how Herbert is treated as better than both despite having a worse record as a starter than Tua, having lost to him head to head, and having failed to make the playoffs just like Tua with far more support. Burrow is the man though and I said so from the beginning.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm not taking anything away from Burrow, he had a great season...just saying that today wasn't a great performance from him.. If not for that insane defensive performance, the Bengals probably lose.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:22 am

JEGnj wrote:Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

if by "poor man" you mean impoverished - perhaps.

Miami hasn't fielded a top-10 offense since 1995, which is the longest drought in the NFL by 12 years.

https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/33394/as-pool-shrinks-signs-point-to-dolphins-hiring-coach-who-can-fix-offense

let that sink in. 1995. that was Shula's last year. Miami has played more than a quarter of a century of NFL seasons without a top-10 offense. ridiculous.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:37 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JEGnj wrote:Could Fins be poor mans version of Chiefs?

if by "poor man" you mean impoverished - perhaps.

Miami hasn't fielded a top-10 offense since 1995, which is the longest drought in the NFL by 12 years.

https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/33394/as-pool-shrinks-signs-point-to-dolphins-hiring-coach-who-can-fix-offense

let that sink in.  1995.  that was Shula's last year.  Miami has played more than a quarter of a century of NFL seasons without a top-10 offense.  ridiculous.

How long and how many times have I told you guys over the years about JJ being a snake oil salesman who couldn't identify offensive talent in Miami to save his life? Well, there's the proof.

And then of course you have Wanny and The Feed (and Wanny still drafted Chambers who was better than any offensive player JJ drafted), who threw all his eggs in the Ricky Williams basket (again, better than anyone JJ ever brought in on offense), followed by Saban who set a new franchise record for fewest points in a 16-game season followed by Cam who nearly matched the previous record low followed by Sparano who was lucky enough to have Chad Pennington fall into his lap for one season before breaking down followed by Philbin, Campbell, Gase and Flores who went out of his way to sabotage his own QB for...reasons.

Then you have passing up Drew Brees in '01 to draft Jamar Fletcher, Aaron Rodgers in '05 to draft Ronnie Brown, Brees again in '06 for Culpepper, Matt Ryan in '08 for Jake Long, failing to tank for Luck and getting Tannehill instead, and finally failing to tank for Burrow who is now in the Super Bowl in his second season after the Bengals had just 6 wins the previous two seasons combined.

TBH it's actually a miracle this team hasn't done WORSE on offense over the past 25 years!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:45 am

No

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:11 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:19 pm

Yeah, I remember hearing right after the draft that the Phins tried to trade up for Burrow. I have no idea why this story is re-surfacing now. It's interesting to know what the Dolphins offered to move up, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

I still say Burrow would have been average at best in this garbage Dolphins offense. Unlike the Phins, the Bengals understand that you need to surround your QB with weapons, and it also helps when you have an OL that can run block and actually give the QB time to throw every now and then...maybe some day the Phins will learn these lessons.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:07 am

Yeah there's not much to debate there. The Fins LOVED Burrow and it's clear why.

The Bengals were smart enough to know what they were getting and refused to even listen. As they should. No one can afford to trade away a franchise QB.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:25 am

white1 wrote:Yeah there's not much to debate there.  The Fins LOVED Burrow and it's clear why.  

The Bengals were smart enough to know what they were getting and refused to even listen.  As they should.  No one can afford to trade away a franchise QB.

As you recall, I wanted Burrow the entire time.

The Bengals were smart enough to properly tank because Zac Taylor clearly received assurance that it wouldn't get him fired. And look where he and Burrow and the Bengals are now. That could've been this team.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:10 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
white1 wrote:Yeah there's not much to debate there.  The Fins LOVED Burrow and it's clear why.  

The Bengals were smart enough to know what they were getting and refused to even listen.  As they should.  No one can afford to trade away a franchise QB.

As you recall, I wanted Burrow the entire time.

The Bengals were smart enough to properly tank because Zac Taylor clearly received assurance that it wouldn't get him fired. And look where he and Burrow and the Bengals are now. That could've been this team.

Not no, but heck no IMO!

You cannot assume that getting Burrows would have made Brian "TeamKiller" Flores the same HC as Zac Taylor. Flores would have scroogied up the offense the exact same way he did in Miami with Tua, if it had been Burrows, Herbert, or any QB.

Now, I agree, the Phins should have gotten Burrows... or Herbert.... Twisted Evil But I doubt it would have made any difference with Flores as the HC....

Flores not only has a strong Wannstedtian-sized defensive bias, I do not think he has any conception of what to do to build a functioning offensive coaching staff.

All you could say was with Burrows (or Herbert) as the Phins QB, that might help attract a better HC to Miami.

In other words: No tanking for draft picks was ever going to save the Flores coached Miami Dolphins IMO. That ship had a nice paint job and all, but the hull was full of holes and not seaworthy. Sadly, Flores himself pointed the cannons at the deck and sank the old tub.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:52 pm

finfanatic wrote:

In other words: No tanking for draft picks was ever going to save the Flores coached Miami Dolphins IMO.   That ship had a nice paint job and all, but the hull was full of holes and not seaworthy. Sadly, Flores himself pointed the cannons at the deck and sank the old tub.

Well said. I bought into Flores, but clearly I was way off base and he turned out exactly as you stated here.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down