The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins free agency moving forward

3 posters

Go down

Dolphins free agency moving forward Empty Dolphins free agency moving forward

Post by JMP Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:22 am

Now that free agency has begun and many moves have alraedy been made, I've been thinking about what moves will make sens for the Dolphins moving forward.  Here's my look, position by position:

QB - Set - no moves needed

RB - I'd look to add a draft pick, but otherwise we're set.  I'd be on board with Duke Johnson, but I think that's more of a luxury than a need.

WR - I'd like to add one more vet, but this position is likely set till the draft.

TE - I'd like to see Durham Smythe brought back, but otherwise no FA is needed here.  I'd look to draft a TE at some point if Smythe is not re-signed.

LT - Given that Tua is a lefty, it probably doesn't make sense to throw a ginormous contract at the injury-prone Terron Armstead, despite the fact that he is a top 3 tackle.  I'd look to sign Eric Fisher, who won't be cheap but not nearly as expensive as Armstead.

LG - We are set with the addition of Connor Williams.

C - Michael Dieter could potentially be the starter, but I'd rather add a veteran like Bradley Bozeman or JC Tretter.  We could also wait till the draft and take Zion Johnson.

RG - We are set with Robert Hunt, although he could slide to RT depending on what the Dolphins decide to do with the line.

RT - I know this is probably not a popular opinion, but I would not go after La'el Collins.  I would instead give first crack at the job to Liam Eichenberg.  Yes, he sucked at LT as a rookie.  But this is a guy that played very well in college in a big-time program at Notre Dame.  I think the new and improved coaching staff will get him back on track.  So, I wouldn't sign a FA here.

DT - The Phins could decide to dump Adam Butler and it wouldn't cost them a penny in dead cap.  If they do that, we could use a DT - maybe a Danny Shelton or Eddie Goldman.  But overall, not a huge need.

DE - Some veteran depth behind Ogbah and Phillips wouldn't hurt.  DEs that interest me include Arden Key, Jerry Hughes, Matt Ioannidis, Carl Nassib, Derek Barnett and Solomon Thomas.  

LB - I'd still like a stud in the middle of this defense, and Bobby Wagner, Joe Schobert, Dont'a Hightower and Danny Trevathan, among others, are all available.  A pass-rushing OLB would be nice, but the FA pickings are slim after Za'Darius SMith, who is likely more expensive than the Phins would like.  I think the draft is the best bet for an outside pass rusher.

S - Pretty well set, no need for a FA.

CB - If Justin Coleman isn't re-signed, we could use another slot corner - although it is possible that newly-signed Keion Crossen can help out there.  Maybe a vet like K'Wuan Williams or PJ Williams could be added, or a younger player like Mike Hughes.

P - Sign Johnny Hekker!!!

Last edited by JMP on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins free agency moving forward Empty Re: Dolphins free agency moving forward

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:47 am

Excellent analysis, JMP.

LT - Yeah, I keep kinda/sorta hoping the Phins ain't about to pay someone Bongmask Bandit money, but...

RT - I did not think about maybe moving Hunt back to RT? I think Hunt might be a pro bowl OG, but just a decent RT.

I agree fully, there is NO WAY the O-linemen the Phins had last year were as bad as they showed. That was all scheme and coaching for the majority IMO. If the Phins do not use more free agent money to sign some more O-linemen, that may mean the Phins think so too?

TE - I doubt Grier would want to go TE in the draft after taking one in the 3rd last year, but this draft looks to be DEEP on TEs IMO. There are a pile that look to have enormous potential. So maybe...

I predict this draft could be as strange as the offseason so far. There does not seem to be much consensus on the rankings like normal. I see some players rated 3rd rounders on one board and then 1st rounders on another.

I seem to remember one draft where everything was totally unpredictable... and not just because Wannstedt was in charge. There were lots of strange picks going on?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Dolphins free agency moving forward Empty Re: Dolphins free agency moving forward

Post by JMP Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:51 pm

finfanatic wrote:

TE - I doubt Grier would want to go TE in the draft after taking one in the 3rd last year, but this draft looks to be DEEP on TEs IMO. There are a pile that look to have enormous potential. So maybe...

I predict this draft could be as strange as the offseason so far.  There does not seem to be much consensus on the rankings like normal. I see some players rated 3rd rounders on one board and then 1st rounders on another.

Durham Smythe was just re-signed, so it is unlikely that we'll draft a TE. I agree that this looks like a strong TE class, but unless McDaniel hates Hunter Long I think we'll skip that position. I don't see us carrying 4 TEs this season, so I expect Long and Shaheen to compete for the last spot. Or maybe they even outright release Shaheen soon if they need cap space.

Totally agree on this draft. It is definitely lacking in top-tier talent, and there are a lot of players that seem to be at a similar level in terms of value. I think there will be a huge range on player rankings from team to team, and as a result we are going to see some picks that appear to be surprises. The first round should be very interesting....probably more pre-draft uncertainty than I can recall at any other time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:49 am

I agree. Smythe re-signing makes TE an no go in the draft.

In the first round....I think we'll see the top twenty or so go fairly like they SHOULD be ranked. The trouble is gonna come in from the teams that have multiple 1st round picks. The get the BPA with the first one, then go need on the next one, or trade back for more picks?

From 20 or so on down though....

The next 80-120 picks are where things are gonna get mighty interesting IMO. Take Quay Walker, MLB from GA. I have seen him in the mocks go anywhere from #29 thru #102!!

Still a ways to go, but this has that sort of confused draft rankings look to it IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:51 pm

With all the moves the other AFC teams have made no matter what we do I feel we are doomed. The AFC is a scary beast.
JEGnj
JEGnj

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:51 pm

JEGnj wrote:With all the moves the other AFC teams have made no matter what we do I feel we are doomed. The AFC is a scary beast.

We'll see. Way too early to tell how things will play out. Last offseason everyone talked up the Bills, Chargers and Ravens, and none of those teams made it to the Super Bowl - the Ravens and Chargers didn't even make it to the postseason.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down