The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the comeback route?

+3
Degarmo
JMP
white1
7 posters

Go down

Return of the comeback route?  Empty Return of the comeback route?

Post by white1 Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:34 am

A couple things I noticed yesterday, and was thinking about our thread last week on the offense.

We threw a couple deep - intermediate "comeback" routes, which were nice completions.

I did not see many - if any - of the short negative passes out wide. In fact we faked a couple but went elsewhere with the ball.

Could it be the offense is going away from those plays we hated all along? Could we be bringing back those routes that Tannehill has proven he can throw effectively?

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Return of the comeback route?  Empty Re: Return of the comeback route?

Post by white1 Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:35 am

Oh I almost forgot, a couple nice play actions to the tight end - one of them wide open in the endzone. Beautiful!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:41 am

Yep, great to see the offense gamecalling playing to the players' strengths for a change. Giving Lazor a couple of babysitters is paying off.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Is it Lazor's babysitters, or is it Phailbin no longer dictating milquetoast gameplans?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:10 pm

the God awful smell of Philbin pussy playing is gone. but I not sold that Miami is playoff bound by the first round draft pick is not going to be there anymore.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Degarmo wrote:Is it Lazor's babysitters, or is it Phailbin no longer dictating milquetoast gameplans?  

Probably a little bit of both.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm

I think the game plan changed because Titans showed they were vulnerable to deep balls. They play a lot of man coverage which is how they get beat deep with speedy receivers. That in turn pushed the safeties out of the box and allowed stills to get one deep ball. Simply changing to attack vertically allowed miamis run game to get going.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Umix10 wrote:I think the game plan changed because Titans showed they were vulnerable to deep balls.  They play a lot of man coverage which is how they get beat deep with speedy receivers.  That in turn pushed the safeties out of the box and allowed stills to get one deep ball.  Simply changing to attack vertically allowed miamis run game to get going.  

Yep. Sunday was a perfect example of how the running and passing games work hand in hand when you do it properly. That game clearly showed that the Phins must run more often AND must take some shots downfield. I expect to see more of the same against what is a really bad Texans team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:19 am

JMP wrote:I expect to see more of the same against what is a really bad Texans team.

the approach against the Texans will be probably be the same as it was against the Titans...and that is probably what it will be for the remainder of the year.

In a matter of days, interim head coach Dan Campbell turned a finesse passing team into a smash-mouth power attack.

And the only real personnel change was swapping Jamil Douglas for Turner at right guard. Turner responded with the best game by either player at that position this season.

“The way that we practiced is the way that we play,” Turner said. “I don’t think we’re trying to sneak up on anybody. The plays and the film that we put out there in the game last week is going to be the same thing, over and over again, consistently throughout the year.

Up next: A far bigger challenge in the Houston Texans.

Houston’s front seven is loaded. J.J. Watt is the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Vince Wilfork is still productive in his 12th season — and said Wednesday that he has no plans of retiring anytime soon. And then there’s Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft.

“Watching film on them, they play pretty much the same defense that we went against last week,” Turner said. “It’s a standard 3-4. They’re a little more of the old school 3-4, in terms of their read.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article40774302.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:10 am

If Campbell can get this team a winning record, I'll be forever convinced that coaching is the most overrated job in America, and all you really need to be good at it is the ability to motivate players to give a damn, period. I've already felt for years that game-planning and schemes are far too overblown by the media who have brainwashed people to think that's the only way anybody ever wins these days.

Belichick's considered to be hands down the best NFL gameplanner and schemer today, and he didn't win a SB for ten years and finally had to resort to cheating like hell to do it. And even then he needed an opposing OC to have a Bob Gibson-level brainfart.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:16 am

I think the problem with gameplanning and schemes is that too many coaches these days try to make things as complicated as possible, and try to find creative ways to cause enough deception that it disrupts the opponent. That may play in college, but what we're starting to see is that NFL teams can figure that stuff out given enough time. The bottom line is that NFL football is still about beating your opponent with physicality and skill - not trickery. Just line up and beat the guy in front of you.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:20 am

JMP wrote:I think the problem with gameplanning and schemes is that too many coaches these days try to make things as complicated as possible, and try to find creative ways to cause enough deception that it disrupts the opponent.  That may play in college, but what we're starting to see is that NFL teams can figure that stuff out given enough time.  The bottom line is that NFL football is still about beating your opponent with physicality and skill - not trickery.  Just line up and beat the guy in front of you.

I officially declare Jmp the winner of the thread. That is all. cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down