The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread

+3
finskev
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 am

CarsonChris wrote:I like Hookers, I mean Hendon.

He's coming off a major injury that will likely keep him out of camp and preseason *and* he's already 25 *and* he played for a gimmicky offense that's not going to prepare him for the NFL. Don't be surprised if he falls to the 6th or even the 7th round.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:18 am

I leave you guys with this...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/page/prosconsdraft/2023-nfl-draft-live-updates-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick

The Jets really needed an offensive tackle, but the top four linemen were off the board. The Steelers leap-frogged the Jets, moving to No. 14 to take Broderick Jones -- a Jets target. Dropping two spots as part of the Aaron Rodgers trade -- 13 to 15 -- cost the Jets a quality lineman.

I never even realized this until just now, and it's deliciously hilarious Laughing Twisted Evil

From the same link, now I see why the Bills traded up for Kincaid.

The Bills tight ends combined for 57 receptions last season, 29th in the NFL.
I had no idea Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:22 am

This seems like a good time to post a tribute to the late great Jerry Springer, who when running for office in Cincinnati (mayor? governor?) had the media asking him about credit card records showing he paid for hookers.  His response "Well, at least you know I have good credit."   Laughing  Laughing

2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread - Page 6 Crowd-jerry

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:24 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I leave you guys with this...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/page/prosconsdraft/2023-nfl-draft-live-updates-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick

The Jets really needed an offensive tackle, but the top four linemen were off the board. The Steelers leap-frogged the Jets, moving to No. 14 to take Broderick Jones -- a Jets target. Dropping two spots as part of the Aaron Rodgers trade -- 13 to 15 -- cost the Jets a quality lineman.

I never even realized this until just now, and it's deliciously hilarious Laughing Twisted Evil

I LOVE IT!!! And they panicked so bad that they reached for a bust instead of taking any of a number of much better players still on the board.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:28 am

JMP wrote:I LOVE IT!!!  And they panicked so bad that they reached for a bust instead of taking any of a number of much better players still on the board.

In real time I thought the reason they were taking so long (longer than any other team I can recall) was being in panic mode over the Steelers sniping their guy.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:06 am

WOW, Lions Drafted both of there Players way to Early, Both had 2nd RD Grades, There Plan must be we Like Them and We will Take them don't care what People Say.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 am

finskev wrote:WOW, Lions Drafted both of there Players way to Early, Both had 2nd RD Grades, There Plan must be we Like Them and We will Take them don't care what People Say.

I know that plan all too well, it's the same one this team used for what seemed like 20 years.

On Youtube I said it was like paying the sticker price for a vehicle that was already overpriced to begin with. They could've easily traded down again and taken Gibbs at 18 (even THAT would've still been considered a reach IMO) and then traded out of the first and still gotten Campbell, racking up who knows how many extra picks in the process.

But Lions gonna Lion. It already started before the draft when most of their WR room got suspended for gambling. Looks like they'll find a way to finish last yet again.

DolFan 316

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:27 am

JMP wrote:Commanders take CB Emmanuel Forbes at 16.  Joey Porter Jr. and Christian Gonzalez still on the board, and they take Forbes??  Big mistake IMO.

very dumb move. Gonzalez should've been the pick. and of course they in turn handed the Patriots a top 10 player. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:30 am

JMP wrote:Giants take CB Deonte Banks.  Nice pick.

given the way round 1 fell, he would've been my pick for the Phins at 21 had the NFL not arbitrarily enforced tampering. i think JMP pointed out how the parties in the most recent supposed tampering case were rewarded.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:34 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:Giants take CB Deonte Banks.  Nice pick.

given the way round 1 fell, he would've been my pick for the Phins at 21 had the NFL not arbitrarily enforced tampering.  i think JMP pointed out how the parties in the most recent supposed tampering case were rewarded.

That's because the other tampering incident involved a white guy's accusations so the race card couldn't be played. Yeah, I went there.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:48 am

Yeah... I guess if you had to have a draft with no first round pick, this was the one to do that in!!

As JMP says, some good players, but nobody that really sets your hair on fire!

I also agree, the best value is gonna be in the 2nd through 4th rounds.

Here's hoping the Phins can trade down and get another 3rd or 4ht rounder.

Unless they have a shot at Torrence that is. Or Te Washington... or....

Smile
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:18 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:Commanders take CB Emmanuel Forbes at 16.  Joey Porter Jr. and Christian Gonzalez still on the board, and they take Forbes??  Big mistake IMO.

very dumb move.  Gonzalez should've been the pick.  and of course they in turn handed the Patriots a top 10 player.  Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

just for the record, Jalen Ramsey disagrees.

Jalen Ramsey on Commanders' selection of Emmanuel Forbes: 'LOVE THAT PICK'

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/28/jalen-ramsey-on-commanders-selection-of-emmanuel-forbes-love-that-pick/

i guess his opinion might carry a bit more weight than mine.  honestly, going into the draft process i was very intrigued by Forbes until i got a good look at him - and how skinny he was at the combine.  so maybe i'm being overly critical.  (workout warrior busts get pushed up the draft process all the time, so what do we call a good player who gets pushed down cause he doesn't look the part?)

2023 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussion Thread - Page 6 Usa_today_19464006.0

but damn, look at those legs - and this coming from a guy who has toothpick calves himself.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 am

I'm willing to own that I was taking Forbes in some of my *very* early mocks...until I found out how skinny he was.

What I don't get is why the same people bashing and trashing Forbes for his size are drooling all over Brian Branch--including a whole lot of DolFans--when he's a shrimp too AND tested badly at the combine.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:28 am

Yeah, there's a lot to like with Forbes. He defines the word "playmaker". But I can't get past those legs...if he tries to jam a 200+ pound WR it will be like a bug hitting the windshield. You're talking a 40+ pound difference! Receivers are getting bigger and more physical every season, and I just can't see a CB with literally no legs (or arms, for that matter) competing with them in a physical battle.

I guess you can put him in the slot and hope his quickness and ball skills are enough...but even a lot of short slot receivers are built like tanks these days.

I hope the kid does well, and maybe he will. But I could never justify taking him that high when so many other good CBs were available.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:31 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm willing to own that I was taking Forbes in some of my *very* early mocks...until I found out how skinny he was.

What I don't get is why the same people bashing and trashing Forbes for his size are drooling all over Brian Branch--including a whole lot of DolFans--when he's a shrimp too AND tested badly at the combine.

Yep. I've cooled off on Branch a lot as the draft got closer. He looks more like a nickle corner than a safety to me, and I don't think he's a great tackler.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:34 am

BTW listening to a Youtuber now who just made a DAMN good point about how bad the Lions screwed up. If they really wanted a RB that high they might as well have just stayed at 6 and gotten Bijan! When you put it that way it really does make the Gibbs pick even MORE mind-blowingly dumb than it already seems!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:25 pm

Well, there is draft value and then there is 3yrs later value... Maybe the Lions will have the last laugh here?

But I do agree as far as "draft value" goes, it does look like they had their board set up differently from everyone else. Neutral Shocked Laughing Cool

All I know is they were dang sure happy when they drafted Gibbs!!

As far as Forbes goes... Yeah, he is smallish for sure and that may hinder him in the NFL, but he did play in the SEC and face some good competition and as you heard on nearly every game broadcast, the announcers would talk about how teams were afraid to throw in his direction for fear of him picking off the ball. A DB who is a ballhawk may not need to be 2 hunnert?!?

Let's look at it in a year or so and see.

I just did not understand the Jets pick? Or the Bills pick?

And I am fairly sure, I will be able to say the same thing about the Phins pick most likely!

(sigh)

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP, DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6