The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First look at new RT

5 posters

Go down

First look at new RT Empty First look at new RT

Post by CarsonChris Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 am

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

First look at new RT Empty Re: First look at new RT

Post by CarsonChris Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:45 am

Grier knows how to pick linemen!

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:43 pm

Woke Thuney??? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

The ridiculous thing is, now those same people are offended by the term woke since it's main use today is a pejorative to illustrate how utterly insane they are. Unless they're using it as part of their Twitter handle and still on Twitter after vowing they'd leave when Elon took over.

Sorry about that. But yeah, that was bad. Like, "me trying to block somebody" bad.

Then again, Hayes was a pure troll pick Grier made to give the finger to all of us who look at the O-line and aren't overjoyed. He was never meant to actually make the team.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon May 01, 2023 12:44 pm

I do have to admit that little clip made me chuckle.

As for Hayes, what I’ve seen so far is exactly what you’d expect from a very late round draft pick UDFA. He’s fairly athletic and has pretty good movement skills to trap and seal. Moving forward on running plays, he surprisingly seems to have pretty good technique and keeps his pad level down (for a man of his height). However, he doesn’t provide much pop when arriving at the block – more or less just gets in the way, but does occasionally make movement in running lanes via momentum. As for pass protection, he mirrors and slides well – and again, can ride a rusher’s momentum around the pocket, but struggles with power. If a rusher gets inside his hands to his frame, it game over as he doesn’t seem to have the raw strength to recover. He’s definitely a zone scheme only (which is what Miami currently runs) developmental prospect which is probably a couple years away from meaningfully contributing and most likely will have to move inside to OG once he’s built up his playing strength. But hey, he’s a 7th round pick so this is the kind of developmental guy you take a chance on – it might work out, it might not.

However, I will say this… Remember who the owner of the Dolphins is (how could you forget). If it came down to drafting a guy (like Hayes) or passing over someone and hoping to sign him as UDFA (say like DJ Scaife) – Mr. Ross will encourage his employees to always err on the side of the guy from Michigan. That’s not to say he wasn’t worthy of a 7th round shot, but it certainly couldn’t have hurt.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon May 01, 2023 1:29 pm

Grrrrrr! Mr. Ross should have his arse beaten every time he opens his mouth IMO.

In the clip it looked like Hayes was trying to avoid the hip-dip outside or inside move and the defender went for a power push right to the chest.

Hopefully that wasn't the first attempt at blocking that guy?? He had his feet straight,Ggt caught shifting, and let the defender get under his arms. If he was expecting a power move, he would have had one foot behind the other, or should have. Plus, he let the defender get to his chest. That's always going to end badly IMO. You either hold or you get manhandled.

I suspect, if he makes the roster, he will not see any action this year.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 01, 2023 2:46 pm

A 7th round developmental player at a premium position that was a multi-year starter at a major college program? That works for me. I like this signing a lot, whether or not he ultimately pans out.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 01, 2023 4:55 pm

First of all, I want Merc to be the team scout in charge of evaluating O-line talent and I want FF to be the O-line coach. (And don't think I haven't forgotten that FF used to be an O-lineman himself.)

mercury22nathan wrote:However, I will say this…  Remember who the owner of the Dolphins is (how could you forget).  If it came down to drafting a guy (like Hayes) or passing over someone and hoping to sign him as UDFA (say like DJ Scaife) – Mr. Ross will encourage his employees to always err on the side of the guy from Michigan.  That’s not to say he wasn’t worthy of a 7th round shot, but it certainly couldn’t have hurt.

You mean like, taking a CB in the 2nd round because Grier's son was a teammate, that kinda thing? Razz

I'm still going with the troll pick/middle finger to the fans theory. I highly doubt Ross is so hyperinvolved that he's ordering Grier to pick Michigan guys in the 7th. Otherwise this team would be taking at least one Michigan player every draft. Like Belichick and his strange fascination with Rutgers players scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 02, 2023 8:03 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

However, I will say this…  Remember who the owner of the Dolphins is (how could you forget).  If it came down to drafting a guy (like Hayes) or passing over someone and hoping to sign him as UDFA (say like DJ Scaife) – Mr. Ross will encourage his employees to always err on the side of the guy from Michigan.  That’s not to say he wasn’t worthy of a 7th round shot, but it certainly couldn’t have hurt.

Or, get both Hayes AND Scaife - which is what we did! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 09, 2023 6:50 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Mr. Ross will encourage his employees to always err on the side of the guy from Michigan.

well, at least Ross is happy now...

“I’ve been waiting a long time to get a Michigan guy on this team,” Ross told Hayes on draft day.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article274218810.html

but Mr. Ross he hasn't made the team yet...or has he?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 09, 2023 9:30 am

mercury22nathan wrote:he hasn't made the team yet...or has he?

Well, we need a swing tackle so if Hayes shows anything at all he's got a great shot to make the team. But I don't think Ross will mandate that Hayes MUST make the final 53. Most likely he's practice squad material, but we'll see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum