The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua rebound?

4 posters

Go down

Tua rebound?  Empty Tua rebound?

Post by CarsonChris Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:03 am

Opening weekend of 2023 and the game will hinge on Tua's play. Last time out against the Chargers Tua faced a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string defensive backs. Tua was 10 of 28 for 145 yards.

Will Tua do better against a healthy Chargers defense?

The last time Tua was behind center was another forgettable game. Has Tua overcome the ghosts of 2022?

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tua rebound?  Empty Re: Tua rebound?

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:03 am

CarsonChris wrote:Will Tua do better against a healthy Chargers defense?

i am hopeful the answer will be yes, but perhaps not in the way we might think. the Herald ran article on this very thing...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article278140427.html

The Dolphins worked on screens a lot through training camp and preseason, and more screens might help on Sunday. Miami attempted only one screen against the Chargers, and that was completed for an 8 yard gain.

and i think that is where Miami will find success - in the screen game and with greater commitment to the run.

but now this is something i don't know what to think...

Tagovailoa was 1 for 8 for no yards on play action.

1 for 8 against Chargers and struggled with play action all year, really...

According to Sharp Football Analysis, Tagovailoa ranked 24th out of 48 qualifying quarterbacks in expected points (EPA) added per attempt on play action (EPA is a measure of efficiency that accounts for situational factors such as down, distance and field position).

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article278897749.html

odd, that as well as his overall stats were that he struggled so mightily in play action. why? could be that without a committed running game, that defenses just didn't bite. could be that o-line couldn't hold blocks for the extra beat under play action? could be that he has a hard time re-focusing downfield after the fake (much better when reading out of the gun)? no matter the answer, he needs to improve in this area.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:44 am

CarsonChris wrote:Opening weekend of 2023 and the game will hinge on Tua's play. Last time out against the Chargers Tua faced a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string defensive backs. Tua was 10 of 28 for 145 yards.

Will Tua do better against a healthy Chargers defense?

The last time Tua was behind center was another forgettable game. Has Tua overcome the ghosts of 2022?

Great question.

I see a better performance from Tua for three reasons:

First, I do think there will be more emphasis on the short passing game. McD and Tua pretty much ignored short passes, but I think this year the plan will be different. I think passes to the backs and TEs are going to be a bigger part of the offense all season, and I expect a big increase in receptions for the backs and TEs. I also expect Tua to run for easy yards when needed.

Second, Tua has faced a Fangio defense for an entire offseason. The Chargers run a Fangio-style defense. I fully expect both McD and Tua to be much more prepared for what they might see this time around.

Third, last time we played the Chargers it was the second West Coast game in a span of 8 days. The team was beat up and noticeably tired - especially the speed guys like Hill, who struggled to get separation against a weak Chargers secondary. That won't be the case this time. We'll also have an OL at full strength.

Now, the Chargers will have Derwin James back, so that will be a challenge for Tua. But overall, I think we're getting the Chargers at the right time - especially with Herbert playing his first game in a new offense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:35 pm

It's always the same with Tua IMO: Which Tua its gonna show up? Bama-Tua or Bad_Tua.

He should be healthy and hopefully, we see Bama-Tua, the QB who makes fast decisions and gets the ball to his playmakers quickly, in rhythm and with time enough to make YAC.

Maybe what JMP says is correct, and McD has devised some ways to PROTECT Tua, keep the defense honest, and help Bama-Tua to emerge. McD needs to gamelan for defenses taking away those intermediate middle of the field routes that were Tua's bread and butter last year... until D's learned to stop them. I just want to see some in-game offensive adjustments this season!

Unless Tua is full-fledged out of it, I suspect the way the Dolphins D performs is gonna determine the Chargers game and all the rest of the games. A Stingy defense that doesn't leave gaping zone areas for pass completions, and most importantly... GETS SOME PASS RUSH on the opposing QB!!! would improve the Phins chances immensely.

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down