The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point

+2
DolFan 316
scotgif
6 posters

Go down

Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point Empty Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point

Post by JMP Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 am

Back in April, many Dolfans praised GM Dennis Hickey and whatever-his-title-is Mike Tannenbaum for what they thought was a stellar draft.  We're now halfway through the 2015 season.  At a time when we absolutely needed an A+ draft, what have we actually gotten to this point?  Here's my take...

Round 1, #14 overall - WR DeVante Parker
Grade at this point: F
My thoughts: Parker missed preseason with a lingering foot injury, and has not been able to move above #5 on the WR depth chart.  He has just 4 catches through 7 games.  The coaches keep talking about how he's improved every week, but they also talk about his inconsistency.  
Bottom line: Our first round pick has done nothing so far.  That's a fail.

Round 2, #52 overall - DT Jordan Phillips
Grade at this point: D-
My thoughts: Phillips has played very sparingly this season, and has done little of note aside from a sack in week one.  That lone sack saved him from an "F".
Bottom line: The coaches clearly have very little confidence in Phillips, and his playing time seems to be on the decline.  Not a good start.

Round 3 - pick traded for the very underwhelming WR Kenny Stills
Grade at this point: D+
My thoughts: Stills has just 13 catches and one TD.  He frequently looks lost, and is not a good route runner.  I had high expectations, but he hasn't delivered.
Bottom line: The Dolphins apparently loved WR Stefon Diggs in the draft.  He went to the Vikes in round 5, and is outplaying Stills by a wide margin.  The Stills trade hasn't worked out to this point, period.  Keeping the pick and drafting Diggs woulod have been the smarter move.

Round 4, #114 overall - OG Jamil Douglas
Grade at this point: F-
My thoughts: I thought Douglas was a soft, overmatched guard in college, and so far he has been a soft, overmatched guard in the NFL.
Bottom line: Douglas was handed the starting RG job this summer for no apparent reason, and responded by being the league's worst guard and losing his job after just 4 games.

Round 5, #145 overall - CB Bobby McCain
Grade at this point: C-
My thoughts: McCain has been a pleasant surprise for me.  I thought he'd be a wasted pick, but he has looked decent on STs and has held his own on defense as a slot corner.
Bottom line: McCain has been nothing special, but he has contributed.  Looks like he may have a future in this league.

Round 5, #149 overall - RB Jay Ajayi
My thoughts: I didn't like the Ajayi pick.  He's slow, has fumbling issues, can't block and has a chronic knee issue.  On the positive side, he was highly productive in college and is an excellent receiver with a nose for the end zone.  Some people thought he'd steal the starting job from Miller, but that was nothing more than wishful thinking.
Bottom line: I'm grading based on players' contributions to this point.  Ajayi hasn't played a down yet due to injury.  He may be activated within the next two weeks, or he may end up on IR.  We'll see.

Round 5, #150 overall - S Ced Thompson
My thoughts: I called Thompson a wasted pick at the time he was drafted, and he lived up to those expectations in the offseason.  Not an NFL player IMO.
Bottom line: Landed on the practice squad and hasn't been called up despite horrendous play from all Dolphin safeties not named Reshad Jones.  'Nuff said.

Round 5, #156 overall - CB Tony Lippett
My thoughts: Converted WR that showed good ball skills and nothing else this summer.
Bottom line: A project with good size, but unlikely to see the field any time soon, if ever.

So, that's it.  After 8 weeks, this draft looks like a colossal waste on every level.  The best rookie to this point has been a part-time nickle corner.  

To be fair, 8 weeks does not make a career.  I'm not suggesting that all of these players will be busts and will never be good NFL players.  Nope, not suggesting that at all.  BUT...would anyone really be suprised if that was the case???

Mike Tannenbaum can't fire himself, but he sure can fire Dennis Hickey for this abomination of a draft.  Hickey's work with the Dolphins has been praised by some fans for the simple fact that his name isn't Jeff Ireland, but the reality is that he has been just as bad - and maybe worse - than Fireland ever was.  It's time to reunite Hickey with Joe Philbin - on the unemployment line.  

Until the Dolphins figure out how to consistently win in the draft, they will NEVER consistently win on the field.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point Empty Re: Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 pm

WOOHOO!!! MY MAN McCAIN FROM MEMPHIS IS THE ONLY ROOKIE WHO DOESN'T COMPLETELY SUCK!!! I TOLD YOU GUYS!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers

BTW the way that was written was no different than how a professional sportswriter would've done it. That's a compliment Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point Empty Re: Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point

Post by white1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Yep. Extremely poor results, I can't even remember last year's draft but the analysis would be similar I'm sure.

Horrible.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm

One word to describe this draft: Re-visiting the 2015 draft at the season's halfway point Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG1XDJmXM0slzuuSGGI_39nCgoKq0_-32Esg6KRbj4QtQUpiA1
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 pm

The hell??? Surprised Shocked

At least show a magazine cover that has a chick with a big bust or something Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:17 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:26 pm

So 1 good pick out of two drafts... yeah Hickey is not making a strong case for continuing in his role as GM here...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Wasn't Hickey like the tenth choice or so because everyone else Ross contacted refused to take the job? That's how I remember it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes.

I think what we are all hoping is that with Tannebaum's network in the league (including agents) we should be able to conduct a valid search and hire a qualified candidate that is our top choice.

Of course, "because Dolphins", so we'll just have to suffer through whatever transpires and hope (yet again) for the best.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 pm

The 2014 draft?

James - average-level RT - C+

Landry - above average WR being used in a below average way. Hopefully next season we'll get to see how a legitimate offensive coordinator uses him. - B+

Turner - hasn't played much but looks semi-decent - somewhere between D+ and C-

Aikens - looks completely lost - D-

Lynch - not an NFL-caliber player - F-

Tripp - not an NFL-caliber player - F-

Hazel - not an NFL-caliber player - his skillset can easily be found in a street free agent any day - F-

Fede - hasn't played much but looked semi-decent in the preseason and pretty bad in the regular season - D+

But, there are still tons of Dolfans that think Hickey is doing a great job and should be kept next season. Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:32 pm

JMP wrote:But, there are still tons of Dolfans that think Hickey is doing a great job and should be kept next season.   Rolling Eyes

I wonder if NYF is among them? Laughing Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm

I really think Miami should fire Hickey, keep Tannebaum and Campbell then build around that.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:08 pm

rightchea wrote:I really think Miami should fire Hickey, keep Tannebaum and Campbell then build around that.

As much as I dislike Tannenbaum, he will be here for a few years becuase Ross won't fire him yet. Let Tannenbaum bring in a strong GM and go from there. I would prefer to keep Campbell because I don't see anyone better, but IMO its more important for everyone to have the same philosophy on building a team. I think Tannenbaum and Campbell have similar views, so that helps. But to me it's all about adding a strong GM and competent coordinators.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Totally agree JMP.

My wish for 2016 season is Campbell at Head Coach, get a new GM, hire two new coordinators.

I'd love a proven name at OC like Turner or Gailey. For as much they get criticized for head coaching failures, they know how to run the freaking ball and build an offense, and call plays on game day.

Same for defense. Wherever guys like Wade Phillips go, they seem to play good defense. That's what I want.

No more promoted secondary coaches, or QB coaches or receiver coaches, whatever. Proven, veteran coordinators - that's what I want.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm

The problem with Turner and Gailey is that they're...old. Gailey's already had at least one heart attack as well. I'd like to think there's somebody out there at least as good but 15-20 years younger. That might not be true, but I'd like to think it Smile

Phillips is slightly less old, and if he's hired the D would have to be a 3-4. I'd have no problem with renting him out for a year or two, though.

Hickey loves him some injury-prone players. Other teams take risks on one or two, but he's drawn to them like a magnet, and it really makes no sense.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm

Yeah, I would like proven coordinators too. Doesn't have to be old guys, but at least guys that have actual experience as coordinators...and not just any experience, but quality experience.

On defense, I like the idea of a 3-4 because I do prefer that system overall...but the Dolphins have enough trouble finding one decent LB, let alone four!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Gailey already has a job, anyway. If Bowles hadn't already hired him, I'd gladly take him. Almost everywhere he's gone the offense looked much better when he arrived. Hell, he made Fiedler look good for an entire season in 2001.

Doug Marrone appears likely to be interviewed if the OC position opens at season's end. Did a nice job in that capacity in New Orleans and worked with Tannenbaum in NY.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down