The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooper DeJean???

5 posters

Go down

Cooper DeJean???  Empty Cooper DeJean???

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:53 pm

I am now predicting that he will end up being the first pick for the following reason: at safety this team currently has Poyer, Holland and literally nobody else. I've seen people float the idea of Kohou being moved there but even if that actually happens it's still just 3 guys.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2024_roster.htm

Also, they're now courting Carl Lawson and if he signs then to me that's a sign that Grier believes edge is taken care of for at least this season. I find it impossible to believe they'd be going DT with the first pick afer signing Tart along with 3 other guys and having Sieler. And the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Merc being right and O-line being off the table altogether.

I'm telling you, it's going to be safety not just because it actually is the biggest need right now but because this safety class...leaves a lot to be desired so Grier better get one right away and it's DeJean or nobody at that spot. They haven't even brought anyone in for a visit that I'm aware of.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cooper DeJean???  Empty Re: Cooper DeJean???

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:51 pm

Or they could take the Redskins Football Team Commanders first rounder next year for DeJean and grab the consensus second best safety in Tyler Nubin at 39 like I did (among other moves) Cool

Cooper DeJean???  Screen14

Yes, in this mock they traded up for DeJean. I was going to stay at 21 and take him myself but picks 36, 67 (both traded again) and their first next year was an offer I couldn't refuse Shocked

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:16 pm; edited 5 times in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:55 pm

The Phins brought a Safety in from TCU to visit I believe. His nickname was Nook IIRC??

I still like Kinchens or the Safety from FSU.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:00 pm

DeJean at safety wouldn't be a horrible move. if his medicals checkout, he's pretty darn good.

the safety FF mentioned and another from USC.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/09/nook-bradford-millard-tcu-dolphins-2024-nfl-draft-visits/

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/05/calen-bullock-dolphins-2024-nfl-draft-visit/

but i don't believe either are 1st round considerations.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:07 pm

finfanatic wrote:The Phins brought a Safety in from TCU to visit I believe. His nickname was Nook IIRC??

I still like Kinchens or the Safety from FSU.

I was like, safety from FSU??? scratch I think FF meant the safety from Georgia. Or as people from our neck of the woods say, "Jawjuh" Wink

Personally I'm *extremely* wary of all Georgia defensive prospects now. I can't think of a single one in the last 3 drafts who's actually lived up to the hype and I strongly suspect it's their system making all those guys look much better than they really are. But that might be just me.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:49 pm

DeJean could be the pick, but I doubt he'd be at the top of anyone's board at 21. He'd be more likely for the Phins in a trade down, IMO.

Safety is definitely a need, especially because Weaver likes to use 3 safeties. I would expect Ramsey to play some safety this season, as he did with the Rams, and I also think we could see more of Elijah Campbell as well. But yeah, we will be adding another safety at some point.

I'd also keep an eye on free agency after the draft, as there are still several good veteran safeties available - like Justin Simmons, Quandre Diggs, Eddie Jackson, Keanu Neal, etc.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:07 pm

JMP wrote:DeJean could be the pick, but I doubt he'd be at the top of anyone's board at 21.  He'd be more likely for the Phins in a trade down, IMO.

Every mock I've seen this week has the Eagles taking him at 22...and that actually makes perfect sense for them if Mitchell and Arnold are gone. I'd much rather have DeJean than Nate Wiggins, who can't tackle worth a darn. And again, in the mock I just did the Commanders traded up to 21 specifically to KEEP Philly from getting him (something I didn't know when I accepted their offer, and I probably would have anyway). I love it when the other teams in a mock actually make smart decisions instead of choosing players that make no sense for them cheers It seems to be happening a lot the closer we get to the draft. Also there's the position value--there's apparently a much bigger (perceived) gap between DeJean and the next best safety then there is between, say, the 3rd and 4th best WRs.

Safety is definitely a need, especially because Weaver likes to use 3 safeties.  I would expect Ramsey to play some safety this season, as he did with the Rams, and I also think we could see more of Elijah Campbell as well.  But yeah, we will be adding another safety at some point.

I'd also keep an eye on free agency after the draft, as there are still several good veteran safeties available - like Justin Simmons, Quandre Diggs, Eddie Jackson, Keanu Neal, etc.

I took a peek at the list and all I see is a big bunch of meh. Ashtyn Davis was the one guy who kinda sorta intrigued me, and so of course 2 minutes after I saw his name I found out he's been re-signed by the Jets Evil or Very Mad Now his name's no longer there. Also, John Lynch has pretty much publicly proclaimed the 49ers will be going after at least one of those guys post-draft and I imagine other teams will too. No reason why the Fins can't draft one and sign someone else later. They need *somebody*, it's actually the most barren position on the roster right now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/available/

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm

FWIW he's usually there at 21 on the PFF drafts, along with Newton. Occasionally Latu and Murphy, but Newton and DeJean are 1-2 on the board at 21 on most mocks there.

My two cents, I wouldn't have a problem with taking him as I feel he's sure to work out at either S or CB long-term with his skills.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:57 am

HalCHorn wrote:FWIW he's usually there at 21 on the PFF drafts, along with Newton.  Occasionally Latu and Murphy, but Newton and DeJean are 1-2 on the board at 21 on most mocks there.

My two cents, I wouldn't have a problem with taking him as I feel he's sure to work out at either S or CB long-term with his skills.

I don't have a problem with DeJean either, but I feel like there will be better options at 21 at positions like OL, DL, WR and edge - which I would rate as higher priority positions than safety. Safety may be a big need for the Phins, but safety value seems to be at an all-time low these days.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:00 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

I took a peek at the list and all I see is a big bunch of meh.

Yeah, not stars - but solid veterans that can definitely serve as a #3 safety for us.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:21 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:

I took a peek at the list and all I see is a big bunch of meh.

Yeah, not stars - but solid veterans that can definitely serve as a #3 safety for us.

Problem is, they'll need four minimum.

Maybe--MAYBE--they could take a chance on drafting one on day three but I don't trust Grier as it is, let alone beyond round 3 pale

I mean yeah, people say Ramsey could be moved there in certain situations but you know who else can be moved around? DeJean, that's who.

Even if the Eagles did pass on him at 22 you just know the Bills would snag him at 28 if he was still around then.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 am

Here's a write-up on the draft's top safeties that's quite detailed. Notice that DeJean's not listed--the current thinking now is that he's actually a CB or a hybrid B/safety guy. I've cooled off on him and my thinking has flipped back to what it was from day one--this team's top two picks still need to be edge and interior OL. That does NOT mean I no longer think they should draft a safety, not at all. It does mean I now think they could (emphasis on could) get a serviceable one later. Oladapo or Mustapha are the ones standing out to me with Cole Bishop as a dark horse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/1c30n5d/halils_top_10_safeties_of_the_2024_nfl_draft/

EDIT: Here is the full analysis of all 10 safety prospects from the guy's site.

https://halilsrealfootballtalk.com/2024/04/12/top-10-safeties-of-the-2024-nfl-draft/

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 am

The more I think about the safety position, the more I think you don't need to spend big money or use a high draft picks to get a good one. I'm in favor of a day 3 pick and a cheap FA.

And yes, that means I'm not giving Holland a huge deal when the time comes. I love the guy, but he's just not worth the money he'll get on his next contract.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:09 pm

JMP wrote:The more I think about the safety position, the more I think you don't need to spend big money or use a high draft picks to get a good one.  I'm in favor of a day 3 pick and a cheap FA.

And yes, that means I'm not giving Holland a huge deal when the time comes.  I love the guy, but he's just not worth the money he'll get on his next contract.

Pretty much every DolFan at least likes of not loves Holland. PFR, not so much. According to AV they have him as...below average Shocked

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HollJe02.htm

Then again, the safety position itself seems to be undervalued in terms of AV, with just SIX of them having an AV of 7 or more last season Shocked Shocked Remember, according to AV a season score of 7-8 for any player is average.

https://stathead.com/tiny/wQC3l

I will say that Holland does have the highest career AV so far of any safety from the '21 class--and was the first one off the board at 36 overall, the same pick Hal took Nubin in his latest mock. So yeah, probably no need to take one at 21 regardless of need.

https://stathead.com/tiny/HX9wy

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm

My issue with Holland was that I expected him to be great - and he's not. He's been good - at times very good - but he's not the playmaker and difference-maker I thought he'd be. He'll be difficult to replace, but he simply isn't worth top dollar. He shows up and does his job every game, and does it well, but that's not worth a massive contract to me.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll be cheaper than I suspect, but I doubt it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:54 pm

I agree on Holland. HE ain't worth a top of the market safety even at the depressed safety market, he ain't top of the market IMO.

Renardo Green from FSU is the safety I was thinking of. He would be a later round guy for sure.

Heck, they could get Jarrian Jones at CB and then Green at S!! Both late round picks hopefully.

I still think they might take a look at NOOK late.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:57 pm

Here's a look at the current safety salaries.

https://overthecap.com/position/safety

If Grier wasn't willing to pay Brandon Jones $8.5 mil a year (what he's getting on the third year of his new deal) there's no way he'll be paying Holland the $12 mil a year minimum he'll be demanding. Looks like yet another draft pick soon to be gone...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

JMP wrote:My issue with Holland was that I expected him to be great - and he's not.  He's been good - at times very good - but he's not the playmaker and difference-maker I thought he'd be. He'll be difficult to replace, but he simply isn't worth top dollar. He shows up and does his job every game, and does it well, but that's not worth a massive contract to me.

he initially seemed to be on that trajectory. just for conversations sake, is it possible the switch in D-coordinators hurt him (he did complain about Fangio) and Weaver might getting him back on that path to stardom?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:18 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:My issue with Holland was that I expected him to be great - and he's not.  He's been good - at times very good - but he's not the playmaker and difference-maker I thought he'd be. He'll be difficult to replace, but he simply isn't worth top dollar. He shows up and does his job every game, and does it well, but that's not worth a massive contract to me.

he initially seemed to be on that trajectory.  just for conversations sake, is it possible the switch in D-coordinators hurt him (he did complain about Fangio) and Weaver might getting him back on that path to stardom?

I do think that's very possible. Safeties seem to put up good stats in the Ravens' D, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Holland flourish in this scheme.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 am

Yeah, when I mention DeJean as a solid value at 21, I'm definitely thinking long-term starter at CB when I say that. Would likely play S right away but would be more than capable of switching in a year or two to replace one of our starting CB's (both 30 this year).

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 am

From the same link I posted in the free agency thread. (Seriously, read it all.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/miamidolphins/comments/1cawanm/the_offseason_with_cidolfus_2024_pre_draft/

The team’s depth at safety is also a disaster. Jevon Holland is a top tier free safety who is likely due for an extension (hopefully later this summer after Howard’s cap clears in June) and Jordan Poyer is a fantastic bang-for-your-buck get who will mostly play strong safety. Behind them, though, the Dolphins only have Elijah Campbell. Campbell is fine as depth, but only $355,000 of his one-year deal is guaranteed, so his roster spot is hardly set, and he’s been nothing special over his three years in the league. More importantly, as of writing the Dolphins don’t have a single safety rostered in 2025. While it’s likely that we extend Holland, Poyer and Campbell are both playing on one year deals and there’s no guarantee that they’ll be back next year.

This all leaves the Dolphins in what I see as a pretty awkward place in the secondary. The team has an absolute glut of players who can perform well at slot corner. At minimum, I expect that we’ll see Ramsey, Fuller, and Kohou all play meaningful snaps lined up as a slot corner. We should also feel confident in our starting depth outside with Ramsey and Fuller and at safety with Ramsey and Holland. The problem is the depth behind them, especially if we’re going to be moving Ramsey and Fuller around (like we should).

The hope is certainly that Cam Smith can step up into a meaningful role at outside corner in his second season, but that doesn’t help the dismal depth at safety. It could be given the depth we have at slot corner that the Dolphins move safeties to the slot less (it’s certainly never been a big part of either Holland’s or Poyer’s games). There is another potential solution that I think the Dolphins could strongly consider.

Draft Cooper DeJean at 21. I know that defensive back isn’t where most people are focused as far as the Dolphins team needs, but our depth situation means it probably should be. DeJean specifically is a compelling option because of his positional flexibility. Perhaps the best trait DeJean has is that while he’s played mostly on the boundary in college, many project him to be a top safety or slot corner in the NFL. DeJean also potentially solves problems in both the short and long term.

In the short term, he can rotate between safety, boundary corner, and slot corner as the need arises. He can move outside when Ramsey or Fuller move inside. He can split reps in the box with Poyer. He didn’t play deep much in college, but it certainly figures like he can play there as well in rotation with Holland and Poyer.

In the long term, there’s the point I already mentioned about our lack of safeties committed in 2025 and beyond, but Fuller and Ramsey are also both free agents in 2026, half way through DeJean’s contract. While we hope that Smith steps up to replace one of them, that leaves another opening on the boundary. Even Kader Kohou will be an unrestricted free agent in 2026. Whether DeJean develops as a safety, outside corner, or slot corner, there’s a long-term place for him on this team.

Even if we don’t go for DeJean in the first, the Dolphins need to figure out an answer for additional depth at outside corner and safety in 2024. Killing two birds with one stone with a do-everything player in the secondary seems like a good way to get your first round pick playing meaningful snaps across the roster.

I'd much rather have DeJean at 21 than Amarius Mims, that's for sure.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:25 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'd much rather have DeJean at 21 than Amarius Mims, that's for sure.

absolutely. that shouldn't even be a question.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I'd much rather have DeJean at 21 than Amarius Mims, that's for sure.

absolutely.  that shouldn't even be a question.

100, as the kids say. (Or maybe they don't say it anymore, I can't keep up.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum