The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season

5 posters

Go down

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season Empty Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season

Post by rightchea Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm

James Walker wrote:"I feel comfortable," Tannehill said. "I feel in charge of our offense now, in command of what we're doing out there. I feel like I have a good handle on what we're trying to accomplish and what we're doing. It's fun. It's fun to get out there and get up to the line, get our guys in the right spots and keep the pressure on the defense."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/212246/dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-feeling-comfortable-entering-regular-season

This is definitely a make or break season for Tannehill now since he can change the plays outside of the huddle and read the defense like he wants to then he needs to show he is the leader of this team and put Miami into the playoffs.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season Empty Re: Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season

Post by JMP Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:04 am

Tannehill was also "comfortable" in the Mike Sherman offense, and he also had great things to say about the Lazor offense. So, we'll see.

Yep, it's a make or break year. The Dolphins brought in a head coach just for Tannehill, and they have built the team around him. No more excuses. Time to start winning games or we'll need to find a new QB.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season Empty Re: Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill feeling 'comfortable' entering regular season

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:40 am

isn't this his 3rd "make or break" season in a row?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 am

mercury22nathan wrote:isn't this his 3rd "make or break" season in a row?

Yep.  The difference this time is the excuse-makers have no more ammo.  The Phins have a QB-centered head coach that is giving Tannehill more input and control over the offense, a (supposedly) improved WR corps and a (supposedly) improved pass-protecting OL.  The only things missing are maybe a strong running game and a legit TE, but beyond that, all the factors that the blind-ass homers used to protect Tannehill from criticism for 4 years have now been addressed.  If Tannehill once again plays inconsistently and fails to post a winning record, it's on him. 

Now, some people will point to defense as a contributing factor...but the Phins added what they think are legit starters at DL (Williams), LB (Alonso), S (IAQ) and CB (Maxwell) - so, in theory, they used resources to improve the D.

Hell, the Phins even drafted a midget speed demon returner to help improve field position for Tannehill.

There is no question that this entire team is built around Tannehill, giving him every possible chance to step up to the next level.  This is it...no more blaming everything else - this team is set up to go as far as Tannehill takes them - period.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Most of those players you mentioned you think aren't any good.

So, if they draft a bunch of crap, and get a bunch of crap in free agency, how it that going to set anyone up to succeed?

My position on this is, he needs to succeed regardless. If not, then he can't do it at all and we need to move on immediately.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:11 am

Degarmo wrote:Most of those players you mentioned you think aren't any good.

So, if they draft a bunch of crap, and get a bunch of crap in free agency, how it that going to set anyone up to succeed?

I did love the Mario Williams signing at the time, but yeah, I am not a fan of most of the offseason acquisitions.  But it doesn't matter what I think of those players - the fact is, the Dolphins' front office and coaches believe that those acquisitions make the team better, and each and every move was designed to give Tannehill more of a chance to succeed.  They added new OL, RBs and WRs to directly help Tannehill on offense, and they added what they think are playmakers to the defense to force turnovers and give the offense favorable field position.  IMHO this current roster is set from top to bottom to support Tannehill.  I may not agree with how they did it, but it's pretty clear to me that that's what they were going for. 

Degarmo wrote:My position on this is, he needs to succeed regardless. If not, then he can't do it at all and we need to move on immediately.

Yep, that's my point.  This is now Tannehill's team and he has to step up - that's all there is to it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 am

I think the point you raise on the defense is interesting, and goes to my argument on this topic. It's highly likely we can see a career year from Tannehill, but still a sub 500 record.

If our running game is crap, and our defense is crap, Tannehill could produce the best stats of his life - including 3rd downs and 4th quarter - and we can still lose a bunch of games.

If we go 6-10 with a bad defense and poor running game, but Tannehill scores a QBR in the top 10 and makes some clutch plays - how and why would we need to "move on" at that point?

There are more than a few NFL teams that are bad teams with good QBs. It happens all the time.

Tannehill certainly has some concrete goals and things he must do. A winning record is low on the list. This is still very much a team game. And our team as built today has problems with depth all over the roster. That's not Tannehill's fault. It's collateral damage due to too much churn in the front office and coaching staff.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 am

It seems like nothing is ever Tannehill's fault.  Bottom line - it's year 5 and we still don't know what he is.  Maybe that means we actually do know - and just don't want to admit it.

Tannehill could absolutely finish with a top 10 QBR and still finish with a non-winning record...like Brees, Stafford and Tyrod Taylor last season.  And if that happens, it still means Tannehill wasn't good enough in big spots - just like Brees, Stafford and Taylor weren't good enough last season in big spots.  

Sure, there are always other non-QB factors to consider when looking at records - but in general, QBs are judged by wins and losses.  Maybe that's wrong, but it is absolutely the way it is.  If Tannehill goes 5 consecutive seasons without a winning record, I'd say that tells us a helluva lot about what type of QB he is.  I've said all along that he's a compiler...puts up pretty good numbers, but they ring hollow because those numbers don't lead to winning seasons.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down