The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

college O bad for the pro

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

college O bad for the pro Empty college O bad for the pro

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 12, 2015 2:29 pm

i found these comments interesting...

Tom Cable wrote:Seattle Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable is no fan of the spread offense, which many college teams are using today.

"I'm not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally," Cable said Tuesday on 710 ESPN Seattle radio. "Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems.

"The runners aren't as good. They aren't taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea."

Because of those issues, Cable sometimes likes to move a defensive lineman to the offensive line. J.R. Sweezy, Seattle's starting right guard, was a defensive lineman at NC State. Kristjan Sokoli, a sixth-round draft choice by the Seahawks last week, is moving to center after playing defensive tackle at Buffalo.

"I can go get a guy who runs a little faster, jumps a little higher and has an aggressive streak in him on defense and start with him," Cable said. "I'm going to have to retrain an offensive lineman out of college anyway."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12872859/seattle-seahawks-o-line-coach-tom-cable-says-college-offenses-really-really-bad-fundamentally

...especially considering who his QB is.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

college O bad for the pro Empty Re: college O bad for the pro

Post by JMP Tue May 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Yeah, there is a definitely a big disconnect between college offenses and NFL offenses. The NFL has made some adaptations that mirror college, but it's still a very different sport. In college, QBs can get away with a lack of arm strength and not reading coverages due to their athleticism, and receivers can get away with running sloppy routes when they are bigger and/or faster than everyone else...but in the NFL, you better have real skill or you will fail.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed May 13, 2015 11:01 am

There are schools that still run pro style offenses. The problem is those programs, USC, Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, Penn St. , to name a few, haven't had a lot of offensive talent.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 13, 2015 6:05 pm

Birdmond wrote:There are schools that still run pro style offenses.  The problem is those programs, USC, Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, Penn St. , to name a few, haven't had a lot of offensive talent.

But why? You'd think schools who have proven they can get players from high school to the NFL would be bringing in the best talent annually.

The real problem is, most high schools these days use the spread. It's not like back in the day when we were teens.

And the state of college defense has literally never been worse. It's reached the point where teams can score in the 40s and not only lose, but get thrashed. No wonder the spread is so popular.

This does explain why every so-called can't miss OT prospect has been...underwhelming at best lately.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Fundamentals in football is at an all-time low. I've never seen so many "professionals" that can't handle the basic tenets of football. Mostly now, everyone is enamored by how fast a guy can run in a straight line and the numbers he puts up in college. You rarely see a guy that can tackle really well anymore, which is why you get some guys who actually did come up with good coaches and they burn up the league just because they know basic elements of the game.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

It's amazing how I was taught to wrap up in junior high, yet most NFL defenders still don't know how Shocked

Then again standards have become nonexistent everywhere else in modern life.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Not a lot of pride in workmanship anymore, but I guess that's what happens when everyone's told they're a winner. Working to be great at something loses it's luster.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Not to mention there's no incentive anymore, because there's actually a better chance of being fired for doing your job too well than doing it badly. Workers don't want to pay dues, and employees don't want to pay workers.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu May 14, 2015 1:00 am

Howard Schnellenberger was making the pro style offense one of his selling points at FAU his last few years there (every other team in the conference was running the spread by 2008). He said it would make players more NFL ready. It did help Rusty Smith get drafted IMO, and probably helped Alfred Morris and Rob Hausler succeed in the NFL. Maybe he would have successfully bucked the trend there if he hadn't been so close to retirement (he lost his fastball by 2009 IMO, when he turned 75). FAU went to the spread immediately after he retired.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 14, 2015 6:38 am

Maybe it does hurt the professional game and maybe it doesn't. I will say I've never enjoyed college football more.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Birdmond wrote:Maybe it does hurt the professional game and maybe it doesn't.   I will say I've never enjoyed college football more.

Says the guy whose team just won the national title in the first ever playoff when they never would've been playing for it otherwise and has not a single post in the college football forum Razz Razz Razz

College sports is bad for the human race. I have spoken!!! Okay, I've really just typed but it still counts as communicating a thought Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:44 am

No reason to post in the college forum. Nobody but me seems to be a college football junkie. And I'm not the gloating type.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down