The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle

5 posters

Go down

Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle Empty Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle

Post by rightchea Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 am

I am not surprised.......

Michael Hernandez wrote:Sun Sentinel’s Omar Kelly, who covers the Dolphins on a daily basis, considers tight-end Julius Thomas and linebacker Raekwon McMillan as 2 of the most disappointing players in camp on the offensive and defensive side.

Julius Thomas was acquired from the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a Dolphins 2017 7th-round pick back in March. The trade was seen as a low-risk, high-reward move for Miami. Thomas struggled on the field and dealt with injuries as a Jag, but the Dolphins desperately needed a tight-end as their group ranked in the bottom categories of the league, and did not get better with the eventual departure of Dion Sims to the Bears. Thomas’ big contract with the Jaguars was restructured, lowered, and filled with incentives as he switched teams. Dolphins lost left tackle Branden Albert(along with his pricy contract), but broke even as left guard Laremy Tunsil would take his place.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1785802-miami-dolphins-camp-disappointment-lb-battle?s=116

Thomas is horrible and Miami should have been wise enough to draft a TE just in case he was going to be horrible. This is my issue with Miami, they don't look before they leap

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle Empty Re: Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle

Post by JMP Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 am

McMillan will be a work in progress, simply because as good as he is in some areas, he's very weak in others. Fortunately, if he is in fact playing SAM LB, that position only plays about 30-35% of the time so his playing time will be limited. I still say Misi will be handed the starting SLB job if he can stand up.

Thomas is another story. To expect him to be healthy for a full season and return to his 2014 level seems like wishful thinking more than anything else. He’s a one-dimensional TE and his commitment to football is questionable at best. I see major “free agent bust” potential more than I see “superstar”.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle Empty Re: Miami Dolphins Camp Disappointments, LB Battle

Post by Birdmond Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:35 pm

I'll call bullshit on McMillan being disappointing. He played all three positions during OTA's. Way too much thinking for a rookie.

As for Thomas, he made several catches in OTA's and had considerable YAC. More than Dion Simms ever did. I'm more concerned about Thomas staying healthy. There's no doubt in my mind he will help this offense IF he's on the field.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Whatever shortcomings McMillan may have, I'd just start him at SLB this year and see how he does. Hull isn't bringing anything special to the table and Misi is a dead end. Let McMillan take his lumps now and hope he develops into a strong defensive presence down the road. Hopefully he can become the future MLB.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm

It's too early to say for a guy like McMillan. He's got to make the speed/mental adjustment first. Let's see where he is during actual preseason games.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:59 am

Yeah Omar compared him to Jelani Jenkins - a step slow to react, etc.

I was thinking but wait, Jenkins was a four year veteran and we're looking at a rookie in his first mini-camp, wouldn't you expect him to be playing MUCH worse than the veteran? If he's on par, shouldn't we expect development and improvement, even this year after a full training camp and preseason games?

I'm OK with the Thomas signing, and I'm sure he will add a dimension to this offense. I'm not thrilled, but okay with it.

Gase isn't going to show all his cards in an open practice, so concerns about chemistry, the routes he ran, etc are largely unfounded IMO. The problem for us is that it's a virtual certainty he will be injured this season, his track record is just too consistent in that regard. I may be in the minority, but I think Gray will do fine in that role playing alongside Fasano in the two TE sets. There's room for him to grow, and it's clear Gase likes him so he will find a way to use him once Thomas ultimately goes down.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down