The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season

2 posters

Go down

Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season Empty Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season

Post by JMP Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

This has already been mentioned in a couple of other threads, but I figured it deserved a topic.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article167267017.html

The Dolphins’ training camp from hell continued Tuesday when coach Adam Gase revealed that cornerback Tony Lippett tore his Achilles’ tendon in Monday’s practice, an injury that will sideline him for the 2017 season.

He was injured when he jumped up in Monday’s practice trying to make a play on a ball. “Nobody touched him,” Gase said.

Alterraun Verner and rookie Cordrea Tankersley are among those competing to be the No. 3 cornerback behind Byron Maxwell and Xavien Howard. Walt Aikens, Tory McTyer, Jordan Lucas, Lafayette Pitts and Larry Hope are also on the roster.

Verner appears to have the edge in that battle. Gase raved about him on Tuesday, while not saying much when asked about Tankersley.

“For him to just jump in and compete the way he has competed has been very impressive,” Gase said of Verner. “We didn’t know how good outside he was [as opposed to the slot]. He has impressed me being able to play corner. Really tight in coverage. Has had his hands on balls. [With him] being able to slide inside, his value is high. Tough to find guys like this.”

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season Empty Re: Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season

Post by white1 Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:21 pm

IMO this proves once again that we have better depth on the roster than last year.

Verner is starting caliber. Tankersley, being a 3rd round pick should be expected to challenge for a starting spot. And we still have Maxwell and Howard starting, with McCain (I think) staying in the slot.

Injuries suck, but they happen to every team every year. Depth is key to mitigating the impact. Cannot be totally eliminated.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season Empty Re: Tony Lippett - torn Achilles, out for season

Post by JMP Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Depth is better at corner, although Verner has been terrible the past few years and Tank will need some time to develop. Lippett was very inconsistent so I don't think the dropoff will be huge going with Verner as the #3, but I don't expect to see the 2013 version of Verner.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down