The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

+6
mercury22nathan
rightchea
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
Degarmo
HalCHorn
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots Empty Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by JMP Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:42 pm

On the Patriots’ opening offensive drive, the Phins’ D made a statement by holding them to a 3-and-out. Or so it seemed. On 4th down, deep in their own end and needing 8 yards for a first down, the Patriots ran a fake punt that gained 14 yards and the drive eventually ended in a TD. In one fell swoop, the Patriots completely broke the Dolphins and effectively ended the game right there. The Patriots kicked ass up and down the field on both sides of the ball, holding the Dolphin offense to just 10 points and basically doing whatever they wanted to the Dolphin defense. Bill Belichick and his staff made the Dolphin coaching staff look like an absolute joke.

The Dolphins were once again sloppy and undisciplined, turning the ball over and committing stupid penalties at the worst possible times. The patchwork OL was hideously bad, there was no running game, Matt Moore and the passing game were pathetic, and Gase’s playcalling was terrible. On defense, the pass rush was mostly absent, the run defense was non-existent, and pass coverage was so bad it was actually funny at times, seeing Patriot receivers wide open play after play. Defensive coordinator Matt Burke is completely lost.

There are no positives, no heroes, nothing good at all about this game. Just a big load of crap.

Two final comments before I end this short write-up:

DeVante Parker SUCKS. Last week, Jay Cutler threw two INTs on passes intended for Parker. Today, Matt Moore threw two INTs on passes intended for Parker. The QBs certainly deserve their share of the blame, but on all 4 passes Parker displayed lazy route-running and absolutely zero fight. He simply gave up on all of those plays, and he is playing like garbage this season.

Adam Gas has no business being an NFL head coach. He clearly doesn’t know how to prepare for games, and he clearly has no interest in anything but his crappy offense. The sloppy, undisciplined play we see from the players week after week is on Gase – it’s his job to clean it up, and he can’t do it. He needs to go.

This team is such an embarrassment. You would think they’d show some heart and be pissed off at being a 16.5 – 17.5 point underdog in this game – but no. The Patriots covered the spread and pushed the sorry Dolphins around for 60 minutes.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots Empty Re: Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by HalCHorn Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:35 pm

My thoughts pretty much echo yours.

1) If we got a 4th round pick for Parker, I would consider it a good deal.

2) Resigning Stills is the one move that appears to be a solid one.

3) We need to start over completely. Unfortunately, I don't think Ross will do that, unless Jim Harbaugh expresses interest in taking over.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots Empty Re: Game 11 thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by Degarmo Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, if Ross decides to stand pat, I guess he enjoys losing attendance, or wants it.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:51 pm

We can't keep going like this...we just can't. MAJOR changes have to happen - can't just stand pat and let this shitshow play out for another season.

The team is a dead man walking - there's no fun, no excitement, nothing at all enjoyable. I don't know why I keep watching.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm

JMP wrote:I don't know why I keep watching.

To post your game thoughts for the rest of us, clearly Very Happy

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Bad, bad football. We don’t look like an established NFL team. We look like an expansion team. Maybe even worse. We have a bad football culture here One that’s accustomed to losing. Time to cut bait. The entire franchise needs a makeover! Wondering if Harbaugh wants another NFL gig?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 am

JMP wrote:We can't keep going like this...we just can't.  MAJOR changes have to happen - can't just stand pat and let this shitshow play out for another season.

The team is a dead man walking - there's no fun, no excitement, nothing at all enjoyable.  I don't know why I keep watching.

I agree.

Question is, who's the best GM candidate out there? Because that's what we need.

George Paton? He was here from 2001-2006, which isn't a point in his favor, but that was a long time ago and he has to have some share in the Vikings' success in spite of injuries.

John Dorsey? IMO he's a good candidate; just lost a power struggle with Andy Reid, but his resume is solid.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 am

Totally agree with the writeup JMP.

That fake punt showed just how much respect the Patriots have for us. Zero. Even if they didn't make it, they were confident their defense could keep our garbage offense out of the end zone anyways. And they were right.

Our defense is broken. I didn't think it would be possible to get worse than last year, yet here we are. Worse. Can't stop the run. The secondary looks totally lost. Apparently the coaching staff is asking Alonso to do everything on defense and it's way too much. Because all he does is trail the ball carrier all day after the pass has already been completed or the run has gone for 12 yards.

DeVante Parker SUCKS. Last week, Jay Cutler threw two INTs on passes intended for Parker. Today, Matt Moore threw two INTs on passes intended for Parker. The QBs certainly deserve their share of the blame, but on all 4 passes Parker displayed lazy route-running and absolutely zero fight. He simply gave up on all of those plays, and he is playing like garbage this season.

This. Yes, a thousand times this. I am so done "waiting" for Parker to break out. It's over. He's never going to amount to anything in Miami. I'm sure he'll land somewhere else and blossom.

Agree on Stills. The one guy that seems to be doing it right. Unfortunately it's way too little, and he doesn't play defense.

After the pleasant surprise of 2016 - which seems so long ago it's akin to the Shula years - confidence in Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum could not be any lower. Our draft picks are not panning out. The free agents we brought in are not working out for us. Our offense is broken. Our defense is broken.

Anyone think a healthy Tannehill would fix anything on this team? Yeah, me either. If Ross is buying that line of bullshit he's dumber than I thought.

Here's a good post from Mando on what he thinks is broken, and it's a long list. Enjoy:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article186619543.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am

The scary part of that Mando article is that the coaching staff thinks that everything is OK:

Mando wrote:It tells you the Dolphins are in trouble long-term because the evaluation the team has made on these players and within these important rooms -- quarterback and wide receiver -- is flawed. And, here’s the worrisome part, it may continue to be flawed.

I say this because if you asked Dolphins brass today if they think they need to upgrade at receiver, they’d probably say no. Adam Gase has said multiple times he likes the group he has. The group that doesn’t make enough plays or enough of a difference to matter in the outcome of games like this is good enough.

Same thing with the quarterback room. As I wrote weeks, the Dolphins expect to give the starting job to Ryan Tannehill again next year. So we’re back to square one on the quarterback issue.

And square two may be Moore again as the backup.

This is the problem: the people in charge are unable to see the problems, so they're unable to fix anything. The talent evaluation is so far from reality, it's frightening. Nothing's going to change unless Ross tears it all down and starts over.

Hal brought up John Dorsey...I think that's a good place to start. I haven't checked to see who else is out there, but Dorsey would have to be on the short-list.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:07 am

To be honest Tannehill can't fix this team and the only way that this team will be fixed is to get rid of the GM, president and head coach.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 am

One other game note: anyone else noticing the past few weeks that when the Phins' defense is on the field, Gase isn't watching the game? There's been several times where the camera went to Gase, and he was either sitting on the bench (apparently looking at offensive plays) or had his back to the field (again, probably looking at offensive plays). This is not what a HEAD COACH does...it's what an offensive coordinator does. Gase is too stubborn to do it, but he needs to find a new play-caller and start concentrating on the entire team and not just his offense. Just more proof that he's in over his head.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 am

Yeah. As much as we'd all like to see some change, I think we're dreaming.

Ross is going to give Tannenbaum, Gase and Grier at least one more season, if not three, before making a decision on changes. That's just how he does it.

We can only hope and pray that when the time comes (looking more likely with each listless, error filled performance) that Ross does a full house cleaning and ousts Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase all together.

If only one or two of them is fired, that's a huge mistake. And so far, that's been his approach. Ross has to learn. No one in a failed front office should be able to make the argument "oh I saw this coming, we should have done that instead". It's bullshit. All or none.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:03 am

now that the Phins are down to one healthy RB who can't seem to hold onto the ball, how does that Ajayi trade look?

how many times does Parker not have to fight for the ball before the Phins realize that he's just not going to do it?

Reshad Jones has become a liability in coverage.

why is it that 11 games into the season, the secondary still has lapses where opposing WRs are running free?

the coaching staff tells us that Alonso looks poor because he's covering for Timmons, but what is the excuse when Timmons isn't on the field? i just don't think Alonso has good instincts.

oddly enough, the Patriots (7-70) were penalized more times and for more yardage (mostly due to interference on long pass to Stills) than Dolphins (6-52), but the Phins penalties hurt more as 5 of their penalties gave the Pats a first down and only 1 of the 7 Pats penalties granted the Phins a first down.

Phins only converted 2 of 11 (18%) third down opportunities - pathetic.

is it me or does Tunsil seem to come out of his stance a beat or two slower than the rest of the OL after the snap?

that fake punt so early in the game, so deep in their own territory and with so far to go was the ultimate in disrespect. and the Phins responded by laying down and taking it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

Not that is was the reason they lost, but I thought Gase's playcalling (with the exception of one drive, where we scored the TD) was shit. I could have sworn that was jay cutler out there throwing those 5 yard routes to Landry and Stills all day. He refused to challenge the pats down the field. 

I agree on the ultimate show of disrespect of the pats faking the punt on the very first series of the game. They had absolutely no respect for the Fins, and they shouldn't have.

Parker is soft. Seems like every pass to him is picked off, for whatever reason. I WAS one who said to "feature" him to find out if we have a future star or JAG. He is clearly JAG. The pats DB who picked the ball off in the end zone said he knew the play was coming to Parker. He says every time parker lines up in the slot they run the exact same play. Nice job of disguising things gase. 

How bad are things when sam freakin young grades out as your most effective OL'man? We need at least 3 new on the OL next year. At least. I'd be ok with all new starters. 

At least Grant's kick returns were better. I know, I'm grasping.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm

scotgif wrote:He refused to challenge the pats

This is the thing I hate most about all recent Dolphins' coaches: they let the other team dictate the game. The Patriots take charge from the first second - they decide what type of game it's going to be, and they execute their plan. They don't let the other team decide what they can or can't do - they just do their thing. In contrast, the Dolphins let their opponents determine the flow of the game...they sit back and passively react, and in the process they get bullied and pushed around.

It's the difference between being the hammer, or the nail. Belichick is the hammer regardless of who he faces - and Gase is always the nail. It's pathetic.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:24 pm

JMP wrote:...the coaching staff thinks that everything is OK...

don't worry, everything is fine - according to Gase.

Does this team need a bunch of new players if Miami doesn’t play great the next five weeks?

“No,” Gase said. “I like the guys we have on the roster right now. There’s a lot of things we can do better. These guys have done a good job sticking together through adversity. Things haven’t always gone as we’ve really planned. These guys go back to work on Wednesday.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article186692448.html

you guys are just worrying about all the wrong things...

“It is not always going to go as smooth as you want it. You have to be ready to adjust and need your players to stay on board and keep focused and not worry about end result and focus on the process.”

not worry about the end result?!?! that is exactly what football is all about - the end result. WINS and LOSSES.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:43 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:...the coaching staff thinks that everything is OK...

don't worry, everything is fine - according to Gase.

Does this team need a bunch of new players if Miami doesn’t play great the next five weeks?

“No,” Gase said. “I like the guys we have on the roster right now. There’s a lot of things we can do better. These guys have done a good job sticking together through adversity. Things haven’t always gone as we’ve really planned. These guys go back to work on Wednesday.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article186692448.html

you guys are just worrying about all the wrong things...

“It is not always going to go as smooth as you want it. You have to be ready to adjust and need your players to stay on board and keep focused and not worry about end result and focus on the process.”

not worry about the end result?!?!  that is exactly what football is all about - the end result.  WINS and LOSSES.

Gase is delusional. He can't really believe the crap that comes out of his mouth, can he?? "Not worry about the end result" sounds like Cam Cameron talk.

Ross is clueless, but I wonder what he thinks about when he hears his head coach say that the end results don't matter?

I really have zero hope for Gase turning this team around. He's completely lost.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:18 pm

If there’s anything i know, this team is really making a habit of making careers for other people. Since the game isn’t interesting to me anymore, I am actually trying to listen to the commentary to see who can catch my attention the most. Interestingly enough i noticed something that may be going unnoticed, it’s the fact that Miami seems to get the 1st good thing for someone else’s career. There was a linebacker with his 1st career sack. There was the kid who got his 1st career INT. This is so bad that, those kids aren’t even heralded rookies. LMAO
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Umix10 wrote:If there’s anything i know, this team is really making a habit of making careers for other people.  Since the game isn’t interesting to me anymore, I am actually trying to listen to the commentary to see who can catch my attention the most.  Interestingly enough i noticed something that may be going unnoticed, it’s the fact that Miami seems to get the 1st good thing for someone else’s career.  There was a linebacker with his 1st career sack.  There was the kid who got his 1st career INT.  This is so bad that, those kids aren’t even heralded rookies.  LMAO

Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw DE Eric Lee tearing shit up for the Pats yesterday...4 tackles and a sack, and he's been a Patriot for less than a week! Meanwhile, our #1 pick DE has 1 sack and 11 tackles in 11 games!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Today I tried putting into practice the mantra of "don't worry about the end result, just focus on the process," and I ended up shitting in my living room. Sure, it wasn't the toilet, and my wife was yelling at me the entire time, but I focused on the process, fuck the end result.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 pm

It's truly incredible how much of the 21st century we have spent watching coaches who are dead men walking with this team.

Start with Bumstedt. Just about everyone knew he needed to go at the end of 2002, but Wayne wrecked the 2003 and 2004 seasons just because he thought Wanny was a nice guy.

Cameron was basically doomed on Draft Day 2007.

Sparano gave us glimmers of hope early on, but halfway through 2010 it was clear he needed to go. Still, Ross wrecked 2011 before it even started to keep him around after the Harbaugh debacle.

Philbin was clearly in over his head after Bullygate. Still he was allowed to hang around and wreck 2014 AND 2015, again each season was basically over before it started because he was still here.

Now, it's obvious that Gase is another in the long line. But we can be certain he will be allowed to wreck at least 2018, and I'd bet 2019. So next year will be the 19th season since the turn of the century, and the seventh (at least) of those 19 seasons that we will all know is doomed long before Labor Day weekend.

Depressing.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Degarmo wrote:Today I tried putting into practice the mantra of "don't worry about the end result, just focus on the process," and I ended up shitting in my living room.  Sure, it wasn't the toilet, and my wife was yelling at me the entire time, but I focused on the process, fuck the end result.

It's a good thing I'm not drinking anything right now, because if I was I would have just sprayed my monitor from laughing so hard! Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 pm

HalCHorn wrote:It's truly incredible how much of the 21st century we have spent watching coaches who are dead men walking with this team.

Start with Bumstedt.  Just about everyone knew he needed to go at the end of 2002, but Wayne wrecked the 2003 and 2004 seasons just because he thought Wanny was a nice guy.

Sparano gave us glimmers of hope early on, but halfway through 2010 it was clear he needed to go.  Still, Ross wrecked 2011 before it even started to keep him around after the Harbaugh debacle.

Philbin was clearly in over his head after Bullygate.  Still he was allowed to hang around and wreck 2014 AND 2015, again each season was basically over before it started because he was still here.

Now, it's obvious that Gase is another in the long line.  But we can be certain he will be allowed to wreck at least 2018, and I'd bet 2019.  So next year will be the 19th season since the turn of the century, and the seventh (at least) of those 19 seasons that we will all know is doomed long before Labor Day weekend.

Depressing.

That really puts it in perspective.

Like most things in life, the sooner you realize it's time to cut your losses, the better. Nothing good comes out of staying in a bad situation. Unfortunately, this damn team just never knows when to quit. They're so concerned with "continuity" that it blinds them to the reality of the situation.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 am

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Today I tried putting into practice the mantra of "don't worry about the end result, just focus on the process," and I ended up shitting in my living room.  Sure, it wasn't the toilet, and my wife was yelling at me the entire time, but I focused on the process, fuck the end result.

It's a good thing I'm not drinking anything right now, because if I was I would have just sprayed my monitor from laughing so hard!  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thank you Very Happy It made me laugh when I got the mental image of it, so I had to write it down.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:26 am

JMP wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:It's truly incredible how much of the 21st century we have spent watching coaches who are dead men walking with this team.

Start with Bumstedt.  Just about everyone knew he needed to go at the end of 2002, but Wayne wrecked the 2003 and 2004 seasons just because he thought Wanny was a nice guy.

Sparano gave us glimmers of hope early on, but halfway through 2010 it was clear he needed to go.  Still, Ross wrecked 2011 before it even started to keep him around after the Harbaugh debacle.

Philbin was clearly in over his head after Bullygate.  Still he was allowed to hang around and wreck 2014 AND 2015, again each season was basically over before it started because he was still here.

Now, it's obvious that Gase is another in the long line.  But we can be certain he will be allowed to wreck at least 2018, and I'd bet 2019.  So next year will be the 19th season since the turn of the century, and the seventh (at least) of those 19 seasons that we will all know is doomed long before Labor Day weekend.

Depressing.

That really puts it in perspective.

Like most things in life, the sooner you realize it's time to cut your losses, the better.  Nothing good comes out of staying in a bad situation.  Unfortunately, this damn team just never knows when to quit.  They're so concerned with "continuity" that it blinds them to the reality of the situation.

Truth, both posts.

That's the thing about continuity though, if you have something terrible, continuity will continue that trend. Whoever is Ross' football guy needs to go. Send Ross over here. I bet we could advise him pretty damn well. God knows, I don't want Ross to fail, and if he really wants to succeed, how about introducing him to a group of middle-aged guys who have been following the team a helluva lot longer than he's owned it.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next