The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

post season mock draft

+5
DolFan 316
Umix10
white1
JMP
rightchea
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

post season mock draft Empty post season mock draft

Post by rightchea Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Miami is not in the playoffs and unfortunately Miami just hired some yes man for Gase. So the only thing that Miami fans can hope for is a good draft. So first mock draft of the post season......

with trades:
Round 1 Pick 19 (DAL): Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia (A-)
Round 2 Pick 11: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 2 Pick 19 (DAL): Damien Harris, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 11: DeShon Elliott, SS, Texas (A)
Round 3 Pick 19 (DAL): Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 11: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A)
Round 4 Pick 32: Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech (A+)
Round 6 Pick 11: B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 7: J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 7 Pick 11: Cole Madison, OT, Washington State (A)

without trades:
Round 1 Pick 11: Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia (B+)
Round 2 Pick 11: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 11: Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State (B+)
Round 4 Pick 11: Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame (A)
Round 4 Pick 32: Holton Hill, CB, Texas (A+)
Round 6 Pick 11: B.J. Hill, DT, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 7: J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 7 Pick 11: Deandre Goolsby, TE, Florida (C+)

thoughts?????

rightchea

Back to top Go down

post season mock draft Empty Re: post season mock draft

Post by JMP Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 am

Gesicki is a good player. I'd be very happy to have him on the Phins.

I'm really curious to see how Barrett will be at the next level. He looks like he can play in the NFL to me, but I don't hear him mentioned by any draft experts. I don't think the Phins are going to draft a QB, but Barrett would be a great pick at the end of the draft.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 pm

With the exception of DT, I would draft heavily for the trenches all day long. That's where we really struggle, we simply cannot compete at the line of scrimmage for the most part.

Give me DE, Center, Guard, Tackle (yes even Left Tackle, because Tunsil) and make them plug in starters and I would be thrilled with a draft loaded with linemen.

Another receiver, another running back, another LB - meh, plug those holes with journeymen free agents. None of them will have an impact on par with beefing up the lines. That's what we need.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:53 pm

white1 wrote:With the exception of DT, I would draft heavily for the trenches all day long.  That's where we really struggle, we simply cannot compete at the line of scrimmage for the most part.  

Give me DE, Center, Guard, Tackle (yes even Left Tackle, because Tunsil) and make them plug in starters and I would be thrilled with a draft loaded with linemen.  

Another receiver, another running back, another LB - meh, plug those holes with journeymen free agents.  None of them will have an impact on par with beefing up the lines.  That's what we need.

I see what you mean, but I don't think the Dolphins agree. I'm not sure they'll draft OL at all, thinking that they are set with Tunsil, Larsen, Pouncey, Davis, Smith, Brendel and Sterup.

I do think impact position players are a major need - we need more big plays on offense and defense. Strengthening the lines will help, but we really need playmakers....there's just not enough game-changing plays in any phase.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 pm

I do think impact position players are a major need - we need more big plays on offense and defense. Strengthening the lines will help, but we really need playmakers....there's just not enough game-changing plays in any phase.

Agree.

Given the list of needs I posted, I consider Defensive End a real playmaking position that can impact a game with pressure on the opposing QB and especially a sack/fumble. None of the other needs I listed really make sense as a first round selection, so I would be looking heavily at the DEs to see if any make sense with our first round pick.

CB would be an impact position on defense, but I'd roll with Tank, Howard, plus we get Lippett back from injury.

If there is a really good LT, you have to consider that also. You could kick Tunsil back inside or move him to right tackle. Or, start the rookie off on the right side and plan to move him over to left in a few years.

Guard/Center could be found later - rounds 2 thru 5.

I will also say, Tight End (especially an all-around TE that can block and catch) would be a nice addition to the offense.

I do agree, the Fins don't seem to agree with this approach. I wonder if they learned from this season what a bad line means for the offense. Losing Albert had a ripple effect, the whole line suffered IMO.

Our defensive ends are not good. I really think you have to draft one. We are absolutely wasting Suh because none of our ends can take advantage of the constant double team blocks (or triple) that he faces.

Here's another thought. The obvious, most important playmaker on the field has to be your QB. Why not trade down in the first round and draft Lamar Jackson? Even if he's never all that good - he's a great dual threat and would be really exciting to watch.

Plus, you could have him on the field with Tannehill at the same time running all kinds of plays using the threat of a run or a pass from either QB. Hell, coach him up on catching a screen pass or wheel route. What a nice change that would be for the fans, a real talent at QB!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 pm

white1 wrote:
Given the list of needs I posted, I consider Defensive End a real playmaking position that can impact a game with pressure on the opposing QB and especially a sack/fumble.  None of the other needs I listed really make sense as a first round selection, so I would be looking heavily at the DEs to see if any make sense with our first round pick.

CB would be an impact position on defense, but I'd roll with Tank, Howard, plus we get Lippett back from injury.  

If there is a really good LT, you have to consider that also.  You could kick Tunsil back inside or move him to right tackle.  Or, start the rookie off on the right side and plan to move him over to left in a few years.

Guard/Center could be found later - rounds 2 thru 5.

I will also say, Tight End (especially an all-around TE that can block and catch) would be a nice addition to the offense.

I do agree, the Fins don't seem to agree with this approach.  I wonder if they learned from this season what a bad line means for the offense.  Losing Albert had a ripple effect, the whole line suffered IMO.  

Our defensive ends are not good.  I really think you have to draft one.  We are absolutely wasting Suh because none of our ends can take advantage of the constant double team blocks (or triple) that he faces.

Here's another thought.  The obvious, most important playmaker on the field has to be your QB.  Why not trade down in the first round and draft Lamar Jackson? Even if he's never all that good - he's a great dual threat and would be really exciting to watch.  

Plus, you could have him on the field with Tannehill at the same time running all kinds of plays using the threat of a run or a pass from either QB.  Hell, coach him up on catching a screen pass or wheel route.  What a nice change that would be for the fans, a real talent at QB!

All very logical and sound.  I just don't think the Phins agree.  I really don't think they'll draft OL, QB or DE - at least not till later in the draft (round 5 or later).  I think they actually believe they are set at all those positions.  I call that delusional, but it is what it is.

My guess is that the Phins will throw a HUGE contract at Jimmy Graham as soon as free agency opens.  Graham is declining rapidly despite his 10 TDs this season, and I think it would be a big mistake for Miami to go that route...but, Tannenbaum.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

If we sign Graham, that’s the beginning of the end for this front office. Anyone with eyes can tell he’s on the decline.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 pm

I honestly think that the defense is really lacking in two areas LB’s and Hybrid safeties. There are really two LB’s who standout in my mind, if you couple the hybrid safeties Miami will have a very very good chance at getting one ore both. Although Roquan Smith is moving up, and with the top of the draft in needs of QB we can get a good shot at him. Malik Jefferson is another good ILB. Tremaine Edmunds is also very athletic. Derwin James and Ronnie Harrison can really bolster the secondary/Hybrid LB.

I am comfortable going into the season with Drake as the incumbent starter so i wouldn’t want to use a high draft pick on a RB. There are too many capable RB’s in the middle rounds. LB/S is the a glaring weakness. G would be a certainty but i think that it pales in comparison to needing a LB who can cover and/or a Hybrid safety.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 am

Umix10 wrote:I honestly think that the defense is really lacking in two areas LB’s and Hybrid safeties.  There are really two LB’s who standout in my mind, if you couple the hybrid safeties Miami will have a very very good chance at getting one ore both.  Although Roquan Smith is moving up, and with the top of the draft in needs of QB we can get a good shot at him.  Malik Jefferson is another good ILB.  Tremaine Edmunds is also very athletic.  Derwin James and Ronnie Harrison can really bolster the secondary/Hybrid LB.

I am comfortable going into the season with Drake as the incumbent starter so i wouldn’t want to use a high draft pick on a RB.  There are too many capable RB’s in the middle rounds.  LB/S is the a glaring weakness.  G would be a certainty but i think that it pales in comparison to needing a LB who can cover and/or a Hybrid safety.

I like the way you think...but what makes you think the Dolphins want a hybrid safety/LB? I've seen no indication of it at all. I think the coaches and front office love their insanely expensive two-strong safety backfield and I don't see them changing. This scheme also isn't very creative...it's fairly vanilla and there's nothing "exotic" like a hybrid safety. What we really need is a true free safety, but there's no way that's happening with all the money tied up in Jones and McDonald. I really don't understand it.

LB is by far the most glaring need on the roster. Roquan is my target right now, but I'm not sure where he'll play in a 4-3. My gut tells me he's best suited to play WLB...but would the Phins do the right thing and bench Alonso if and when Roquan outplays him in the offseason? I don't know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:50 am

Hybrid Safeties is where its headed too. Bigger safeties who can run. I really wanted Melifonwu last year. Miami can’t cover a TE on IR. We need to get athletic, agile and instinctive LB’s real quick or we wont be anywhere near the Super Bowl unless Miami host’s.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 am

Umix10 wrote:Hybrid Safeties is where its headed too.  Bigger safeties who can run.  I really wanted Melifonwu last year.  Miami can’t cover a TE on IR.  We need to get athletic, agile and instinctive LB’s real quick or we wont be anywhere near the Super Bowl unless Miami host’s.  

That's the way the league is going, but it's not what the Dolphins do. Unless they hire a new defensive coordinator - which isn't going to happen - I don't think the Phins are going to change their scheme at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 pm

white1 wrote:With the exception of DT, I would draft heavily for the trenches all day long.  That's where we really struggle, we simply cannot compete at the line of scrimmage for the most part.  

Not drafting linemen isn't the problem. They drafted three D-linemen just last year, and made Tunsil their first pick the year before that. The O-line has three first round draftees on it. And then of course there's Dion Jordan. And Jordan Phillips was a second rounder. And they threw a truckload of money at Suh.

The real problem is, they simply cannot pick the right players, regardless of investment. I will agree that maybe paying a little attention to guard would be nice, but then again chances are they'd just screw that up too like everything else.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

The real problem is, they simply cannot pick the right players, regardless of investment.

This is the entire problem in one sentence. This is why we stink.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Sounds like Miami might go after the DC from the Bears as well Evil or Very Mad ...

Problem with Miami isn't they aren't finding player that fit the system they are not finding players that are good and fit the system.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Well, I guess Mock Drafts are about all the fun any of us will have as long as Tannenbaum and the Gang are at it, so here's my attempts:

No trades (didn't give the second 4th rounder):
Round 1 Pick 11: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/FS, Alabama (A+)
Round 2 Pick 10: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 9: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana (A)
Round 4 Pick 11: Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas-San Antonio (A+)
Round 6 Pick 9: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Michael Hill, DT, Ohio State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Anthony Winbush, OLB, Ball State (A-)

Then, with trades:
Round 1 Pick 11: Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 9: Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas (A)
Round 3 Pick 16 (HOU): Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 3 Pick 18 (DET): Armani Watts, FS, Texas AM (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (CLE): Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2 (NYG): Frank Ragnow, C/OG, Arkansas (A)
Round 4 Pick 9 (DEN): Tony Brown, CB, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 10 (OAK): Jeff Holland, OLB, Auburn (A)
Round 4 Pick 11: Josh Adams, RB, Notre Dame (A)
Round 4 Pick 14 (G.B.): Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 24 (CLE): Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A)
Round 6 Pick 9: JK Scott, P, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Cody OConnell, OG, Washington State (A)
Round 7 Pick 11: Dimitri Flowers, FB, Oklahoma (A+)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 am

rightchea wrote:Sounds like Miami might go after the DC from the Bears as well Evil or Very Mad ...

Do you mean Vic Fangio? Excellent coach and he'd be an outstanding hire for the Phins - but it will never happen. There's no way the Phins are firing Burke, and there's no way Gase is going to do a complete overhaul of the defense. Fangio runs a 3-4, and Gase isn't going to make that type of huge change.

Reports are that Fangio is staying in Chicago anyway - which is great news for their new rookie head coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am

The real problem is, they simply cannot pick the right players, regardless of investment. I will agree that maybe paying a little attention to guard would be nice, but then again chances are they'd just screw that up too like everything else.

Agree. We've talked about scouting before, and I thought you guys would find this interesting. It's a quote from Matt Miller on Twitter, and it actually makes sense to me.

This is a later tweet, but it's a premise we've discussed:

And I get this is a hard concept for a lot of people. It's easier at home to say "the Packers' drafts suck so their scouts must suck" but it's not that simple.

I know I've wanted a new GM to clean house and fire all the scouts. Two things, maybe that's not necessary for one. Second, if our draft sucks it's probably just as simple as this: We have the wrong GM. He's not making the right choices, based on the reports he's reading from the scouts.

Again this is Packer centric based on a question from a fan, but the point was interesting to me. Here's the first tweet:

Whether it's Wolf, Highsmith or Gutekunst...what people have to understand is great scouts don't make the picks. The GM does. Being a great scout on a bad team (or good team with a poor draft record) happens. Scouts are like players—have to eval their talent individually

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/951160293874335744

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am

That's good stuff, white.

But...

I know there's been rumors that the Dolphins have had essentially the same scouting staff for years. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I have to think that the scouts are at least partially to blame when we've had bad drafts for what seems like centuries. We've been though a bunch of GMs, and nothing has changed. If the scouts have remained the same, then maybe they are part of the problem. It's their job to educate the front office on players, and if they're not able to communicate their findings adequately enough, that's a problem.

Plus we have Grier running the show now, alongside Tannenbaum - and he was a Dolphins' scout for a long time.

I don't know how to fix it...but bottom line, we need to get MUCH better at drafting or we're never going to win anything.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm

JMP wrote:... It's their job to educate the front office on players, and if they're not able to communicate their findings adequately enough, that's a problem.  

Plus we have Grier running the show now, alongside Tannenbaum - and he was a Dolphins' scout for a long time.

I don't know how to fix it...but bottom line, we need to get MUCH better at drafting or we're never going to win anything.

You've hit the nail on the head!!!!! In all actuality, the problem isn't just about football!...It's really about communication!! The scouts, Coach, GM, VP all have to see the same thing in a player. If they draft him they absolutely have to use his skill set in the scheme of what they are doing. I won't go as far to say as we haven't hit drafts, but so far drafting a G in the later rounds haven't panned out(Thomas, Turner, Douglas, Asiata). Anyone drafted in rounds 1-4 should have a significant role in playing. Let'em play should be the mantra. Let them prove they need to stay or let them go. IMHO
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Round 2 Pick 1 (CLE): Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (B+)
Round 2 Pick 10: Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (A-)
Round 2 Pick 27 (ATL): Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A)
Round 2 Pick 30 (CLE): Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa (A-)
Round 3 Pick 1 (CLE): Justin Reid, FS, Stanford (A-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Jalyn Holmes, DE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 3 Pick 29 (PITT): Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (CLE): Zachary Crabtree, OT, Oklahoma State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 11: Mike McCray, OLB, Michigan (A+)
Round 5 Pick 11 (PITT): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (A-)
Round 6 Pick 9: Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada (A)
Round 6 Pick 17 (LAC): Darren Carrington II, WR, Utah (A)
Round 7 Pick 5: David Moa, DE, Boise State (A)
Round 7 Pick 11: J.T. Barrett, QB, Ohio State (A)

Best draft ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Josey Jewell and Mark Andrews are two of my favorite players in this class.  Would love to see them both in Miami.  2nd may be high for Jewell...I'm thinking 4th, possibly 3rd.

If Sony Michel is on the board in the 5th, I'll be SHOCKED.  I think he's a 3rd rounder at worst...but probably 2nd and maybe even late 1st.

But yeah, that would be one helluva great draft!

Last edited by JMP on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am

another reason to draft LBers early and often...

Kiko Alonso was a disappointment in 2017 after signing a big contract extension, and while it makes no financial sense for the Dolphins to move on from him this offseason, there’s no chance Alonso is a Dolphin in 2019 unless he plays much better this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article195342959.html

looks like the Phins are learning Alonso's limitations just like Buffalo and then Philly did. Only difference - the Phins learned after they unnecessarily paid him.

i'd have no problem if 2 of the Phins top 5 draft picks are spent on LBers.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 am

looks like the Phins are learning Alonso's limitations just like Buffalo and then Philly did. Only difference - the Phins learned after they unnecessarily paid him.

What's puzzling is the move of Alonso from MLB to weak side. While many of us thought that made sense, and obviously the team did too, Alonso wasn't happy with it. Well, his misgivings about playing weak side looked to be totally accurate. While not a world beater at MLB in 2016, Alonso at least looked the part of a legitimate starter.

In hind sight, probably would have been better to keep him at MLB, and install Timmons as strong side, and someone else at weak side. I don't know if McMillan can play WLB, but it's worth asking.

The contract we signed up for ensures we go at least one more season with Alonso. I'd have him compete at MLB, and find different solutions for strong side and weak side. Why double down on our disastrous experiment playing him at WLB?

If he fails to beat out competition at MLB, either trade him, release him, or have him play only limited snaps to give the starters a breather. As painful as it is, burying him on the depth chart might be the only way to mitigate the mistake made in committing to him long term. At least we have him for some measure of depth in that case, with cheap starters mitigating the cost we have invested in the unit as a whole.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Well Baker Mayfield said that he wants to play for Miami. I not sure if he will make it that far

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:03 pm

white1 wrote:

What's puzzling is the move of Alonso from MLB to weak side.  While many of us thought that made sense, and obviously the team did too, Alonso wasn't happy with it.  Well, his misgivings about playing weak side looked to  be totally accurate.  While not a world beater at MLB in 2016, Alonso at least looked the part of a legitimate starter.

In hind sight, probably would have been better to keep him at MLB, and install Timmons as strong side, and someone else at weak side.  I don't know if McMillan can play WLB, but it's worth asking.

The contract we signed up for ensures we go at least one more season with Alonso.  I'd have him compete at MLB, and find different solutions for strong side and weak side.   Why double down on our disastrous experiment playing him at WLB?

If he fails to beat out competition at MLB, either trade him, release him, or have him play only limited snaps to give the starters a breather.  As painful as it is, burying him on the depth chart might be the only way to mitigate the mistake made in committing to him long term.  At least we have him for some measure of depth in that case, with cheap starters mitigating the cost we have invested in the unit as a whole.

I'm in favor of adding (draft and/or FA) at least two new LBs that can immediately compete for playing time and hopefully starting jobs. Add them to Alonso, McMillan, Anthony and Allen, let 'em all compete, and see what happens. I honestly don't care who plays where - SLB, MLB, WLB - just get three starters that can play linebacker without getting embarrassed on every damn play. And if that means Alonso and his absurd salary ride the bench, so be it.

Linebacker is probably my favorite position, and it KILLS me to watch the Phins throw garbage at the position year after year. It's way beyond time to fix it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next