The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

+6
mercury22nathan
Umix10
white1
HalCHorn
JMP
scotgif
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round Empty Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

Post by scotgif Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article202192929.html

Greg Cote wrote:

This figures as one of the most quarterback-rich drafts in league history. The starving Dolphins are about to walk into a sumptuous banquet hall. Now all they have to do is decide to partake.

Miami’s standard operating procedure — Best Available Athlete, obedience to the holy draft-board rankings — ain’t working. You might have noticed. Fans who were 21 when the Dolphins last won a Super Bowl are now getting senior discounts. Miami’s most recent playoff win, in the 2000 season, marks the fifth-longest drought of any team.

Since that 2000 season Miami has spent more No. 1 picks on offensive linemen (five) than on any other position. No other team in that span has top-drafted more blockers. Not working! Great quarterbacks are still great behind so-so lines. So-so quarterbacks do not become great because their lines are.

I agree with Cote here, but do I think we WILL draft a QB with the first pick? NO. Why? Because in year three of this FO regime, they are in win-now-save your job mode. Yes, that top rookie QB will be a thrill, but there will be the inevitable growing pains that will take a year or two to grow out of. With another losing season, or two, the whole lot of them will be thrown out by ross.

I agree it SHOULD be done, but I seriously doubt it WILL be done.

We will most likely take the next Practice Squad, clipboard holder in the 5th to 7th round ("See, we ARE addressing the QB position").

Most likely, another year of Tanny being just good enough to get you 6-9 wins, but not carry a team to the next level and a journeyman-never-was low-cost FA and our clipboard holder of the future.

scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round Empty Re: Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

Post by JMP Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:23 am

Agree 1000%, scot.

Last year was an excellent TE class...we didn't take a TE. This year is an excellent QB class...we won't take a QB.

Gase has never groomed a young QB (no, Tebow doesn't count), and he needs to win now. There's absolutely no way he is going sign off on taking a QB high. And keep in mind - Gase loves Fales and Doughty (who he gave a $ raise last season on the practice squad).

I really think the QB room is set for 2018: Tannehill, Fales, Doughty. Maybe we'll add a camp body after the draft, but I just don't see any way the Phins use a pick on a QB this year.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round Empty Re: Fins Need to Take a QB in First Round

Post by HalCHorn Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:48 am

Agree on both counts. It should strongly be considered. I actually like Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson better than the more heralded prospects in Darnold, Allen and Rosen at the next level.

If we don't take a QB, James, Edmunds and Nelson appear to be the best options to me. The first two look like difference makers by year two, and Nelson will step in and immediately be one of the best OG's in the league.

Any of the 3 would hugely upgrade areas of need.

If a QB falls to 11, though, and Buffalo comes calling offering 21 and 22, I think I'd consider that too, with all the needs this team has.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am

I actually like Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson better than the more heralded prospects in Darnold, Allen and Rosen at the next level.

I would be ecstatic with either Mayfield or Jackson.

Agree on the top prospects, there is no Andrew Luck in this class, and Darnold is likely going off the board first (either at 1, or no later than 4 if CLE throws a curve ball). Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield all have question marks but I think Mayfield may be the best choice of the 3. Jackson is looking horribly under rated to me.

If a QB falls to 11, though, and Buffalo comes calling offering 21 and 22, I think I'd consider that too, with all the needs this team has.

Can't say I would be exactly thrilled with a trade down, but probably would be a smart move. Like you said, we have a lot of needs - two first round picks is a good way to start patching holes.

If we don't take a QB, James, Edmunds and Nelson appear to be the best options to me. The first two look like difference makers by year two, and Nelson will step in and immediately be one of the best OG's in the league.

Any of the 3 would hugely upgrade areas of need.

Nelson is getting so much publicity I would be shocked if he falls to 11. Would LOVE to see us take him there. Edmunds seems to be a great fit for us. I'm worried we may draft Smith, which will be a mistake IMO.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 am

Darnold, to me, is far and away the best QB in this class. I remember another big QB with a big arm that was criticized for throwing too many INTs in his final college season...his name was Dan Marino. I seriously think Darnold is the most Marino-like QB I've seen since Dan himself. He has a quick release with that rare ability to fit the ball into the smallest window, and he's a fiery leader who can carry a team.

Anyway, if I'm Cleveland, I'm taking Barkley at 1 and Darnold at 4. I expect the Giants to take Allen at 2 and the Colts to take Chubb at 3.

I don't like Jackson...college QBs with poor accuracy scare me. I'm really not sure what to think of Mayfield...I generally hate short QBs, though I do like Brees and Wilson. I'm not sure Mayfield is at that level, though...I think he has a big bust potential.

Beyond that - Edmunds, Fitzpatrick and James will all be off the board by the time the Phins pick IMHO. There's a chance Nelson is there, and there's also a chance Davenport is there. Davenport would be a slam dunk for me in that case...his potential is through the roof. Nelson would be the safer pick for sure, but with Davenport you're getting a poential stud DE that could transform the entire defense. I say grab him and give the new DL coach a chance to earn his salary.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Anyway, if I'm Cleveland, I'm taking Barkley at 1 and Darnold at 4. I expect the Giants to take Allen at 2 and the Colts to take Chubb at 3.

That would be a hell of a ballsy move on Cleveland's part. The only way I see it happening is if they would be satisfied with any 3 of the top 4 quarterbacks on the board. No guarantee the Giants won't take Darnold, and at #3 a QB needy team can trade up and take someone else.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 pm

white1 wrote:

That would be a hell of a ballsy move on Cleveland's part.  The only way I see it happening is if they would be satisfied with any 3 of the top 4 quarterbacks on the board.  No guarantee the Giants won't take Darnold, and at #3 a QB needy team can trade up and take someone else.

I think this is a unique draft class with so many strong QB prospects, and I don't think the Browns need to zero in on just one guy. If I'm Cleveland and you tell me I can get a game-changing RB at 1 and then either Darnold or Allen at 4, I'm doing backflips. I view Barkley as a can't-miss prospect and the top player in this draft, so the Browns get him AND a franchise QB. Those two moves would instantly make the Browns relevant again. I view that as more of a common sense move than a ballsy move. I know everyone wants the QB first, but in this scenario you're getting an instant offense. They already have a very good OL, so the rookies could in theory have success early like we saw in Dallas with Zeke and Dak.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Cousin's is still part of the equation. Cousin's will have the most impact at the top. Giving Miami the best chance at getting a QB. Bridgewater is available and most certainly capable to run an NFL offense. Lamar Jackson is a dual threat QB but, if Gase has no plan to use his unique skill set then it's nothing to get excited about except if you're couting wasted picks. I have a feeling that either the Bills or Jets will go after Cousin's hard. The idea that Brady is almost done could appeal to someone looking to dominate a division. Just my opinion
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Umix10 wrote:Cousin's is still part of the equation. Cousin's will have the most impact at the top. Giving Miami the best chance at getting a QB.  Bridgewater is available and most certainly capable to run an NFL offense.  Lamar Jackson is a dual threat QB but, if Gase has no plan to use his unique skill set then it's nothing to get excited about except if you're couting wasted picks.  I have a feeling that either the Bills or Jets will go after Cousin's hard.  The idea that Brady is almost done could appeal to someone looking to dominate a division.  Just my opinion

I have Cousins penciled in for the Jets or Broncos...I think it'll be between those two teams.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 am

JMP wrote:I have Cousins penciled in for the Jets...

and speaking of that disgusting green team up north...

In a long-anticipated move, the New York Jets released defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson on Wednesday, ending a seven-year run that turned bitter last season.

The Jets had to cut Wilkerson before March 16 or else his $16.75 million salary for 2018 would have become fully guaranteed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22605457/new-york-jets-release-defensive-end-muhammad-wilkerson

clearing even more money for the Cousins sweepstakes?

and what of Wilkerson, anyone interested? he was excellent before he got paid. now that he ain't getting paid no more will he revert back to his old form? could he be signed on a low risk prove-it deal?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

Wilkerson has a lot of red flags, but when he's interested and motivated he's a beast. I'd prefer to role with the younger guys we have - Phillips and Godchaux - but at the right price I would not be opposed to Big Mo. I think Tannenbaum drafted him in NY, so there is a connection. My biggest on-field concern is that it would be a position change...Wilkerson mostly played DE in the Jets' 3-4, so he'd have to transition to DT in a 4-3. I doubt it would be a big deal, but something to consider.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:

That would be a hell of a ballsy move on Cleveland's part.  The only way I see it happening is if they would be satisfied with any 3 of the top 4 quarterbacks on the board.  No guarantee the Giants won't take Darnold, and at #3 a QB needy team can trade up and take someone else.

I think this is a unique draft class with so many strong QB prospects, and I don't think the Browns need to zero in on just one guy.  If I'm Cleveland and you tell me I can get a game-changing RB at 1 and then either Darnold or Allen at 4, I'm doing backflips.  I view Barkley as a can't-miss prospect and the top player in this draft, so the Browns get him AND a franchise QB.  Those two moves would instantly make the Browns relevant again.  I view that as more of a common sense move than a ballsy move.  I know everyone wants the QB first, but in this scenario you're getting an instant offense.  They already have a very good OL, so the rookies could in theory have success early like we saw in Dallas with Zeke and Dak.

Barkley just ran a 4.42 and a 4.41 at the Combine...at 233 pounds! Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 pm

How about the kid from Marshall? Off the field stuff that'll probably be cleared up Wink

Maybe.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 am

JMP wrote:

Barkley just ran a 4.42 and a 4.41 at the Combine...at 233 pounds!   Shocked

Quite possibly the least useful metric for a QB next to bench press Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 pm

naw you need to know how fast your QB is. If he not fast he not going to contribute as a double threat player.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:

Barkley just ran a 4.42 and a 4.41 at the Combine...at 233 pounds!   Shocked

Quite possibly the least useful metric for a QB next to bench press Wink

I was referring to the RB...Saquon!

The 40 only matters for a QB if he's a dual threat, like rightchea mentioned. No one is going to ccre about Tom Brady's 40, but a guy that's going to run - like Deshaun Watson - needs to be fast.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Oh yeah, I know who Barkley is, I was just making a comment about QBs because I was literally just watching them talk about how the QBs stacked up, showing Mariota. Looking back, it might have helped if I had mention that fact. I forgot you can't read minds Very Happy

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm

rightchea wrote:naw you need to know how fast your QB is. If he not fast he not going to contribute as a double threat player.

I've gotta agree. That's why Tom Brady's 40 time was integral in him getting drafted by the Pats Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Speaking of QBs...White and Lauletta were both VERY impressive in the Senior Bowl practices and game. White especially looks like the real deal to me...wouldn't surprise me if he sneaks in to the end of the first...maybe the Bills take him at 24???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:08 am

Degarmo wrote:
rightchea wrote:naw you need to know how fast your QB is. If he not fast he not going to contribute as a double threat player.

I've gotta agree. That's why Tom Brady's 40 time was integral in him getting drafted by the Pats Wink

this is what makes Tom Brady so interesting I seen his highlight when he was in college and he sucked. everyone talks how good he was and he wasn't. he was a seventh round QB and was meant to be. so whatever voodoo magic Belicheat is using it working

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 am

rightchea wrote:
Degarmo wrote:

I've gotta agree.  That's why Tom Brady's 40 time was integral in him getting drafted by the Pats Wink

this is what makes Tom Brady so interesting I seen his highlight when he was in college and he sucked. everyone talks how good he was and he wasn't. he was a seventh round QB and was meant to be. so whatever voodoo magic Belicheat is using it working

There used to be a picture of Brady shirtless during the combine/before the draft. I don't feel like looking for it now because I'm never inclined to search for shirtless pics of men but let's just say he looked like someone who'd spent the previous four years playing video games on the couch instead of playing D1 college football and leave it at that.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:15 pm

No QB for the Phins.

I suspect it will be another non-impact first rounder. Unless Tannenbaum can trade the pick away for a couple of marginally talented aging vets with huge cap numbers, working on the last years of their deals!!

Tannenbaum do love him some swapping picks for a big cap load. Whatever Woody Johnson tells him to do I guess?? Shocked

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Miami don't have the money for that they will have to grow in the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:

I think this is a unique draft class with so many strong QB prospects, and I don't think the Browns need to zero in on just one guy.  If I'm Cleveland and you tell me I can get a game-changing RB at 1 and then either Darnold or Allen at 4, I'm doing backflips.  I view Barkley as a can't-miss prospect and the top player in this draft, so the Browns get him AND a franchise QB.  Those two moves would instantly make the Browns relevant again.  I view that as more of a common sense move than a ballsy move.  I know everyone wants the QB first, but in this scenario you're getting an instant offense.  They already have a very good OL, so the rookies could in theory have success early like we saw in Dallas with Zeke and Dak.

Anyone else remember when the Colts somehow finagled the FIRST TWO PICKS of the '92 draft and managed to screw up anyway? I remember...

What's especially hilarious is that they were coming off setting the NFL record for fewest points in a 16-game season, so of course they naturally spent both picks on...defense. I cannot make this stuff up.

http://pfref.com/tiny/snZrI

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Wow, I'd sure like to get a first round like we had in '92.

Steve Emtman, I still see him returning that intercepted pass against Marino at the end of a game we should have won, and needed to win. Highlight of that stiff's career.

And Brady, he had man tits back then.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next