The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccaro visiting Phins

+2
white1
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Vaccaro visiting Phins Empty Vaccaro visiting Phins

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Could the Miami Dolphins be in play for a former first-round safety. It looks that way.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that former New Orleans Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro — one of the top free agents left on the market — will be visiting the Dolphins on Thursday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article208673594.html

why?

i guess they're serious about this safety/hybrid LB thing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Vaccaro visiting Phins Empty Re: Vaccaro visiting Phins

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm

But...but...didn't they just release a bunch of high-paid guys because "chemistry"? Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 pm

No one is banging down the door for Vaccarro. He won't break the bank.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm

3 int and 48 tckles and 12 starts last year he not worth much

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:15 am

Kenny Vaccaro is better than TJ McDonald ever was. Vaccaro is kind of up and down and gets tons of penalties (and he's been suspended for PEDs), but he's still a playmaker. It would be absolutely DUMB to have three high-paid safeties, so hopefully McDonald gets cut if Vaccaro signs. But if the Phins want all 3, it would be even DUMBER to sign Vaccaro before the draft - because if Fitzpatrick falls to 11 and we pass on him because we have too many safeties, it would be a colossal, short-sighted mistake.

So yeah, give me Vaccaro over McDonald...but it doesn't make sense to have both.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am

JMP wrote:so hopefully McDonald gets cut if Vaccaro signs.

no can do. the extension the Phins gave him makes it more expensive to cut him that keep him for the next 2 seasons.

JMP wrote:So yeah, give me Vaccaro over McDonald...but it doesn't make sense to have both.

i think the idea (at least as far as the Phins are thinking - which is debatable) is to have Jones at SS, Vaccaro at FS and McDonald at hybrid LB.

Dolphins like Kenny Vaccaro potential to cover. Did it well in college and earlier with N.O. (Also been known to blow deep coverages).

He's versatile and has played SS in the box too but ability to cover major reason for Dolphins interest.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/984486885971169281

so basically Miami paid 2 safeties a boatload of money only to find out neither one of them could cover.

Kenny Vaccaro is not going to get a huge offer from the Dolphins. Perhaps 1-year, prove it.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/984489740924833792

so the Phins have to make a bad FA move to fix a previous bad FA move. a never ending cycle.

and if the Phins do sign Vaccaro and move McDonald to hybrid LB, does that then mean they are less likely to target a LB high in the draft (Smith or Edmunds). or have they come to the realization that neither one will be available at 11 and this is a reactionary/precautionary move?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 am

merc wrote:the extension the Phins gave him makes it more expensive to cut him that keep him for the next 2 seasons.

Yep.  I was just thinking that the Phins don't seem to care about cap hits for cut players this offseason, so maybe they'd consider dumping McDonald.  It was a terrible contract...but what else is new??

merc wrote:i think the idea (at least as far as the Phins are thinking - which is debatable) is to have Jones at SS, Vaccaro at FS and McDonald at hybrid LB.

I know that the hybrid LB is all the rage in the NFL these days, but the Dolphins seem to be missing a critical point: the hybrid LB needs to cover as well as stop the run.  McDonald covering a TE or WR is a disaster waiting to happen. Once again, the Phins are looking to fit a square peg into a round hole.  McDonald is an in-the-box run stopper.  If anyone thinks he's more than that...they're wrong.  And yeah, you can say the same for Jones - though he is a bit better in coverage.

merc wrote:so basically Miami paid 2 safeties a boatload of money only to find out neither one of them could cover.

Yep - and everyone else in the league already knew that they can't cover.  The Dolphins are always the last to know.

merc wrote:so the Phins have to make a bad FA move to fix a previous bad FA move. a never ending cycle.

That's how they roll.  Don't build through the draft - just keep signing overpriced FAs.  Putting band-aids on shotgun wounds, every time.

merc wrote:if the Phins do sign Vaccaro and move McDonald to hybrid LB, does that then mean they are less likely to target a LB high in the draft (Smith or Edmunds). or have they come to the realization that neither one will be available at 11 and this is a reactionary/precautionary move?

This is why I hate plugging every single roster hole with a FA.  If we sign Vaccaro, it essentially means we're not drafting a LB or S at 11...and there is a good possibility that a potential stud player will be available at one or both of those positions.  

Vea is looking more like the Dolphins' pick every day.  I'm not opposed to that - but it seems like the Phins are really boxing themselves in and forcing a draft for need approach instead of BPA.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 pm

The more I think about it, the more I am not in favor of a Vaccaro signing. I spoke with my Saints fan friend, and he told me that Vaccaro's coverage skills have been declining the last couple of years and he gives up way too many big plays in the passing game. He is a ballhawk, but despite all the INTs, my buddy called him a "liability" and said he's just too inconsistent. Said he's more of a SS than FS at this point.

So yeah, this sounds like a total Dolphins move: spending FA $$ on a declining player that we don't need. As I said, he's definitely better than McDonald, but it's a move that makes very little sense - especially right before the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Just draft Jesse Bates.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content